PDA

View Full Version : What about Distracted Cyclists?

pncguy
08-02-2017, 10:15 AM
I read many threads here and elsewhere about the problem of distracted (or not!) drivers. But what are opinions on distracted cyclists?

I live in the Boulder area and on one occasion I saw a guy - looked racer-like - riding no-handed, with both hands on a phone. As I drove by him I didn't even see him look up once. Another day I saw a rider actively engaged in a conversation riding one-handed with the other hand holding his phone.

I don't think this is safe and I wouldn't do it myself. Are these people setting a bad example? Is it okay to do this on a bike path rather than a road?

Discuss.

MattTuck
08-02-2017, 10:20 AM
If you're riding a bike, and also looking at your phone, and you drift into traffic and get run over, I have no sympathy for you.

joosttx
08-02-2017, 10:27 AM
This seems to be a huge issue. Not as big as distracted pigeons on the MUP though. :)

FlashUNC
08-02-2017, 10:34 AM
It's not a problem in any significant way.

Tickdoc
08-02-2017, 10:36 AM
Guilty as charged. Another thing not mentioned is that Cyclists can be worn out, heat exhausted, or at the end of a 70-100 mile ride and not in the best condition to make good judgments.

I am no where near as observant after a long hot day and tend to make more mistakes.

Not long ago I plowed into the back of a car while stopped. She paused at a green light instead of going forward (letting a car go through that did not have the right of way) and I was concentrating on clipping in and powering through the intersection, head down, and whamo I bumped into the back of her car. This followed a short sharp climb where I was still winded.

No damage done, but I felt like such and ass. Just another day on the bike, for me at least.

dustyrider
08-02-2017, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry what were we talking about? :beer:

sandyrs
08-02-2017, 10:44 AM
In what world is this a serious threat to anyone's safety other than that of the distracted cyclist? Distracted driving is a problem because the driver is operating a large machine that can kill people...

bikinchris
08-02-2017, 10:51 AM
No, it's a problem because innocent people will have to live with the memory of killing or seriously injuring some idiot on a bike.

MattTuck
08-02-2017, 10:55 AM
In what world is this a serious threat to anyone's safety other than that of the distracted cyclist? Distracted driving is a problem because the driver is operating a large machine that can kill people...

Generally agree, except cyclists have hit and killed pedestrians before... Seems to be a much lower risk than a driver hitting another road user with a car, but a cyclist at 20mph isn't exactly harmless to a child walking on a rail trail.

Would be best if all road users were just paying attention :)

sandyrs
08-02-2017, 11:11 AM
Generally agree, except cyclists have hit and killed pedestrians before... Seems to be a much lower risk than a driver hitting another road user with a car, but a cyclist at 20mph isn't exactly harmless to a child walking on a rail trail.

Would be best if all road users were just paying attention :)

That's fair. And I absolutely agree with the last line!

OtayBW
08-02-2017, 03:59 PM
I don't know, but I will say that I spent 4 days walking around Boulder last year and nearly got plugged by cyclists riding on the sidewalk at least 4-5 times. Didn't think too much of that....

Seramount
08-02-2017, 05:13 PM
regardless of their mode of transportation, there's just needs to be an open season on phone zombies...

Peter P.
08-02-2017, 05:18 PM
Cyclists should be no less responsible than vehicle drivers when it comes to keeping their eyes off the phone and on the road.

It's beginning to also be my contention that bike computers, power meters, etc., fall into the same category and cause similar distraction.

tbike4
08-02-2017, 05:20 PM
I have been hit by cyclists a handful of times because they didn't know how to ride a bike. On the wrong side of the MUP in their own little world or coming at me too hard around a turn.

BobO
08-02-2017, 05:23 PM
regardless of their mode of transportation, there's just needs to be an open season on phone zombies...

^This, very much this.^

I've said for years that we need a "had it coming" clause in most criminal codes. :bike:

FlashUNC
08-02-2017, 05:25 PM
Cyclists should be no less responsible than vehicle drivers when it comes to keeping their eyes off the phone and on the road.

It's beginning to also be my contention that bike computers, power meters, etc., fall into the same category and cause similar distraction.

Do you also think speedometers in cars are a distraction?

veggieburger
08-02-2017, 07:59 PM
Distracted cycling is a problem, for sure. Thirsty, dried out, head down trying to hit your KOM number...not good. Also, if the rider is distracted and a driver has to swerve suddenly to avoid, other people can be injured or killed.

BUT...in the past week and a half I have counted at least a half dozen texting drivers. The likelihood of that individual killing me with his or her 2 ton battering ram is much greater than an exhausted me hurting anyone.

Peter P.
08-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Do you also think speedometers in cars are a distraction?

Unfortunately, speedometers are a REQUIREMENT and a NECESSITY. A distraction-no, because they are integral to the operation of the vehicle.

However, their location relative to the driver and the road is, I feel, safer than on a bicycle.

And a speedometer on a bicycle is hardly necessary. It's more for performance, entertainment, and ego.

Jere
08-02-2017, 09:31 PM
Distracted cycling is a problem, for sure. Thirsty, dried out, head down trying to hit your KOM number...not good. Also, if the rider is distracted and a driver has to swerve suddenly to avoid, other people can be injured or killed.

BUT...in the past week and a half I have counted at least a half dozen texting drivers. The likelihood of that individual killing me with his or her 2 ton battery ram is much greater than an exhausted me hurting anyone.

Hi

I have to say for first time in years I found myself.
Looking at the GPS
Power, heart rate, KOM and reading texts.
When you're racing everything is amplified nothing is a distraction but everyday
Putting in the miles it's easy.
I,m guilty it is stupid to have lights front and rear on all bikes to be seen and your the distracted

Bruce K
08-03-2017, 04:30 AM
So, in the latest local fatality, there have been no charges filed against the driver and there is a growing outrage among many local cyclists.

The problem appears to be that the cyclist may have crossed a full lane of traffic to be hit head on by the oncoming vehicle.

IF this turns out to be true (the investigation is still ongoing), why should the driver be charged? And with what?

The OP question is a good one. This is a growing issue on both sides of the discussion.

BK

bigreen505
08-03-2017, 09:06 AM
Where this issue gets scary for me is on a bike path (sorry, multi-use paved trail) where a distracted rider drifts two feet to the left and hits another rider head on, both going 20 mph. Or swerves as someone passes him and sends the other rider head first into a solid object (in that example it was a concrete post and it didn't end well).

On the less scary side, as a driver, I've been hit twice, both times driving a Suburban, not some little car with special urban camo paint. The first was in Boulder, I think on 9th and Pearl. I was stopped at the stop sign when a texting pedestrian (college student) veered from the crosswalk and walked straight into the side of the truck. He was startled and corrected his path, but barely looked up from his phone.

The second is my favorite and was in Denver in Cherry Creek North, for those who know where that is. If you don't, think streets lined with cute but horrifyingly overpriced shops, stop signs at every corner, all four-way stops. I think the speed limit is 25, but you never get much over 10 mph between traffic and stop signs. I passed a cyclist who had more lights on him than a Christmas tree, reflectors, orange caution triangle on the back and he was wearing a bright green jacket with reflective stripes. I laughed at the spectacle that he was and continued on. At the stop sign a block later I hear a loud thud and look back to see what hit me, only to see him peeling his face off my back window. Like the pedestrian, he carried on and tried to pretend that didn't just happen.