PDA

View Full Version : Hollowgram help

BLD 25
08-01-2017, 07:42 PM
Hello, I have a supersix EVO and hollowgram quarq. It has the 109mm spindle made for BB 30A, and mine is just BB30. I am running a 2mm spacer on the drive side that is labeled for the drive side, and then about 7mm of spacers on the NDS.

Is this the correct configuration for spacers? I can flex it enough to rub on both sides of the derailleur depending on gearing. I am 185, pretty strong, not sure how that affects it. The rings are nearly new praxis. I don't think they are bent, because I can look down when I am riding normally and I don't see them going back and forth much. Not sure where the weakness is, it is one of the stiffest bikes, stiffest chainrings, stiffest cranks.

Would the older 104mm spindle help? Any thoughts?

BLD 25
08-02-2017, 10:50 PM
Hmm, not much help

oliver1850
08-03-2017, 12:43 AM
I looked around Cannondale's site, and it was no help either. No specs on any of the Hollowgram cranks as far as I could see. It seems logical that a shorter spindle would eliminate some spacers and result in a better setup.

Perhaps another brand BB30 crank would be even better.

hollowgram5
08-03-2017, 04:57 AM
Are you actually able to flex it, or are you able to shift it side to side due to play and a lack of appropriate spacers? Edit: from what I included below I think you have everything correct, but pictures may help others to chime in.

The shorter vs longer spindle is also tied slightly to generations and model of the arms. The differences change the q-factor ever so slightly, but I've never noticed a difference. Additionally, that longer spindle was put into play in order to accommodate the bb30a and pf30a shells Cannondale had in the development pipeline.

If we can't sort it, I'd end up reaching out to Stage21 Bikes in California. They have a slew of different spacers they sell for the variety of spindles/shells/etc that is offered these days and are extremely knowledgeable.

That said, you may be better served with a 104 spindle in a standard bb30 frame, but this spindle should work. I've had 5 of them and have only ever used the 104 spindle, but have never used a PM of any sort with them. I've also never had a situation where I could flex a frame as you describe, and I land between 230-250 on a scale.

As a side note, the original SRMs that we're offered had a slightly different setup with spindles and bearing shields vs your off the shelf cranksets due to the thickness of the SRM spider itself. I do not believe anything special is needed for the Quarq.

From their page: https://www.stage21bikes.com/stage-21-hollowgram-bb30-pf30-spindle-spacers/

BB30 - 68MM SHELL: CAAD8, CAAD9, CAAD10, SystemSix, 2008-2013 Synapse
* *7.5MM Flanged for Non-Drive + 2.6mm Non-Flanged for Drive Side

PF30 - 68MM SHELL: 2013-2015 SuperSix EVO

BLD 25
08-03-2017, 03:00 PM
Are you actually able to flex it, or are you able to shift it side to side due to play and a lack of appropriate spacers? Edit: from what I included below I think you have everything correct, but pictures may help others to chime in.

The shorter vs longer spindle is also tied slightly to generations and model of the arms. The differences change the q-factor ever so slightly, but I've never noticed a difference. Additionally, that longer spindle was put into play in order to accommodate the bb30a and pf30a shells Cannondale had in the development pipeline.

If we can't sort it, I'd end up reaching out to Stage21 Bikes in California. They have a slew of different spacers they sell for the variety of spindles/shells/etc that is offered these days and are extremely knowledgeable.

That said, you may be better served with a 104 spindle in a standard bb30 frame, but this spindle should work. I've had 5 of them and have only ever used the 104 spindle, but have never used a PM of any sort with them. I've also never had a situation where I could flex a frame as you describe, and I land between 230-250 on a scale.

As a side note, the original SRMs that we're offered had a slightly different setup with spindles and bearing shields vs your off the shelf cranksets due to the thickness of the SRM spider itself. I do not believe anything special is needed for the Quarq.

From their page: https://www.stage21bikes.com/stage-21-hollowgram-bb30-pf30-spindle-spacers/

BB30 - 68MM SHELL: CAAD8, CAAD9, CAAD10, SystemSix, 2008-2013 Synapse

PF30 - 68MM SHELL: 2013-2015 SuperSix EVO

This is great help, thanks. I think it is probably due to incorrect spacers as to why I am having flex so I am going to look for a shorter spindle and or maybe different spacers

hollowgram5
08-03-2017, 03:51 PM
This is great help, thanks. I think it is probably due to incorrect spacers as to why I am having flex so I am going to look for a shorter spindle and or maybe different spacersI had intended to reply sooner, but real life got in the way.

zap
08-03-2017, 04:36 PM
When properly assembled, wavy washer should be almost fully compressed.

Instructions available.

http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Support/OwnerManuals/Accessories

mgordon
08-03-2017, 09:13 PM
Which crankarms are you using? Hollowgram SL, SI, or SISL2? The (newer) SI and SISL2 should use the 109mm spindle. The older SL uses the shorter spindle.

kramnnim
08-03-2017, 11:01 PM
Si and SiSL2 arms work fine with 104 as long as it is BB30.