PDA

View Full Version : Cross is coming (Gloucester registration info)

Bruce K
08-01-2017, 02:19 PM
GP Gloucester on line registration opens in 1 week (August 8).

Many of the amateur races sell out in 24 hours or less.

Plan ahead.

BK

sandyrs
08-01-2017, 02:50 PM
The email they just sent out put me into full "holy **** cx is soon" mode. In the last 24 hours I've ordered new wheels, new tires, and a cassette, and there's more yet to do to get my bike race-ready. :help:

xvxax
08-01-2017, 06:52 PM
Plan to make it back for this one all the way from VA to see some family and race.

First year in cat 3, amazing race, amazing venue.

weisan
08-01-2017, 07:09 PM
I don't race cross, heck I don't race, period. But wish I could be there to enjoy watching the races and to hang out with Bruce pal and his family.

old fat man
08-01-2017, 07:44 PM
Meh. I'll be supporting the grass roots

superbowlpats
08-01-2017, 08:01 PM
Many of the amateur races sell out in 24 hours or less.

BK

more like 60 minutes for CAT 4/5

Bruce K
08-01-2017, 09:10 PM
THIS ^^^^^^^ is why I posted.

:banana:

BK

shovelhd
08-02-2017, 06:50 AM
I'm debating whether to work it again. It involves staying over which I'm not a fan of. It is a great race and a great vibe.

livingminimal
08-02-2017, 07:19 AM
We're still waiting on our schedule out here, but I set up the cross bike to about 90% completion last night and hung up the road bikes for now. I may only do five or so races this year but eh, its tradition.

chiasticon
08-02-2017, 07:29 AM
We're still waiting on our schedule out here, but I set up the cross bike to about 90% completion last night and hung up the road bikes for now. I may only do five or so races this year but eh, its tradition.I actually went back to not riding my cx bike for everything last year (meaning, just for cx-related riding; road riding was on road bike). was pretty awesome. mainly because I usually ride cx with my saddle a bit lower and not having to adjust it before rides was nice. also, swapping pads for carbon vs non-carbon wheels is annoying (but I'm on those old-timey rim-pusher things). that said, once it's a month into the schedule I'm basically only doing cx-related riding until December anyway.

stoked our local schedule is finally finished. nine races within an hour of home! :banana:

livingminimal
08-02-2017, 07:36 AM
stoked our local schedule is finally finished. nine races within an hour of home! :banana:

my grandpappy told me about them rim pusher things... ;)

and, woah! 9 races within an hour. I cant even get that in Southern California (partially because of traffic). You race in NEOCX correct?

superbowlpats
08-02-2017, 07:47 AM
The email they just sent out put me into full "holy **** cx is soon" mode. In the last 24 hours I've ordered new wheels, new tires, and a cassette, and there's more yet to do to get my bike race-ready. :help:

What are you running for wheels and tires this year Sandy?

chiasticon
08-02-2017, 09:01 AM
and, woah! 9 races within an hour. I cant even get that in Southern California (partially because of traffic). You race in NEOCX correct?yep. NEOCX Cleveland area races. there's new management this year, and a few teams joining in to host for the first time so it's been bumped up from six or so to nine (and maybe another coming). a few of the venues I've actually never raced before (including a park I once played a show at as a young punk kid, 20+ years ago!), so I'm pretty stoked. there's also the option of races near Columbus, about two hours away, which adds eight more race options. or going towards Pittsburgh (two hours-ish) for another half-dozen race options. not a bad area for this stuff! :beer:

sandyrs
08-02-2017, 09:40 AM
What are you running for wheels and tires this year Sandy?

I just ordered some closeout Reynolds carbon mtb wheels and will use Vittoria terreno dry tires for the early dusty races. I sold my sscx so no more second bike, meaning I need to bring a second set of wheels to the races. I have some WTB Riddlers on my "pit" wheels and PDX's from last season that I'll mount again for wet races later in the season.

How about you Dave?

superbowlpats
08-02-2017, 12:24 PM
How about you Dave?

I hemmed and hawed about switching to tubulars this year but realize that I need to find a tire combo that works best for me first and more importantly need to start placing higher up before justifying the $$. So I'm going to PDX front, MXP rear tubeless. I need all the front wheel traction I can get :o

livingminimal
08-02-2017, 04:09 PM
yep. NEOCX Cleveland area races. there's new management this year, and a few teams joining in to host for the first time so it's been bumped up from six or so to nine (and maybe another coming). a few of the venues I've actually never raced before (including a park I once played a show at as a young punk kid, 20+ years ago!), so I'm pretty stoked. there's also the option of races near Columbus, about two hours away, which adds eight more race options. or going towards Pittsburgh (two hours-ish) for another half-dozen race options. not a bad area for this stuff! :beer:

Cheers man...that is awesome.

livingminimal
08-02-2017, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=superbowlpats;2213152and more importantly need to start placing higher up before justifying the $$.[/QUOTE]

I finish in the bottom five of every race on tubulars :beer:

quickfeet
08-02-2017, 06:07 PM
I finish at the bottom of the races and still wear a skinsuit and ride tubulars...

Bruce K
08-03-2017, 05:49 AM
KMC Cross Fest registration opens Monday

BK

superbowlpats
08-03-2017, 06:10 AM
KMC Cross Fest registration opens Monday

BK

Bruce, I can't find it on Bikereg, only find the "Expo". Do you have a link or is info from their website ("opens at 6pm on 8/7/17")?

superbowlpats
08-03-2017, 06:54 AM
I finish at the bottom of the races and still wear a skinsuit and ride tubulars...

well I do wear a skinsuit :beer: Its really more about finding a tire tread that I'm happy with before committing to glue & tape. I know tubbies are best for CX :banana:

Bruce K
08-03-2017, 07:33 AM
I got an FB post from following them (I guess).

BK

superbowlpats
08-07-2017, 01:04 PM
KMC is now open. https://www.bikereg.com/kmccrossfest
doesn't get the same registration rush as Gloucester but keep an eye on your race category if you are thinking of racing it

CX season :banana: is coming

chiasticon
08-07-2017, 01:24 PM
I hemmed and hawed about switching to tubulars this year but realize that I need to find a tire combo that works best for me first and more importantly need to start placing higher up before justifying the $$. So I'm going to PDX front, MXP rear tubeless. I need all the front wheel traction I can get :oif you're successful enough with your tubeless setup to be able to run the pressure down into the low 20's without issue, I'm not sure there's much benefit of going tubular at that point. unless you go with carbon rims, for more stiffness and a bit less weight.

it's good you're experimenting with treads though. when people start out, everyone's like "just get grifo's or mxp's" because they're good all-rounders. but the truth is, if you're more of a power rider than a technical rider (e.g. coming from a road vs mtb background) you're better off with the more aggressive tread. especially when starting out. it'll help make up for your lack of technical prowess. sure you'll be slower on the power sections, but you'd lose more time crashing in the corners. :cool:

superbowlpats
08-07-2017, 01:34 PM
if you're successful enough with your tubeless setup to be able to run the pressure down into the low 20's without issue, I'm not sure there's much benefit of going tubular at that point. unless you go with carbon rims, for more stiffness and a bit less weight.

it's good you're experimenting with treads though. when people start out, everyone's like "just get grifo's or mxp's" because they're good all-rounders. but the truth is, if you're more of a power rider than a technical rider (e.g. coming from a road vs mtb background) you're better off with the more aggressive tread. especially when starting out. it'll help make up for your lack of technical prowess. sure you'll be slower on the power sections, but you'd lose more time crashing in the corners. :cool:

Thanks for the advice. I've gone as low as 24 psi last year but usually stick to 28 psi. for now I will ride what I have (Stan's Grails) but I think those rims are a bit soft and worry about slamming the rims on roots. got a few dings in them. Hoping the PDX will help me in the corners to make up for my lack of skill. :help:

I've read good things about carbon wheels for CX - maybe next year.

sandyrs
08-08-2017, 11:03 AM
tfw you realize paying $50 to race for 30 minutes at 8am really isn't that attractive after all

shovelhd
08-08-2017, 11:38 AM
tfw you realize paying $50 to race for 30 minutes at 8am really isn't that attractive after all

Cat up so you don't.

sandyrs
08-08-2017, 11:52 AM
Cat up so you don't.

I'd sure like to. Which is why I'll be racing essentially every race except Gloucester and KMC. I was a spot off upgrade points a couple times last year so I'll be pretty disappointed in myself if I don't get to 3 this year.

Bruce K
08-08-2017, 02:20 PM
Several Master and lower Cat fields are close to sold out!!!

You snooze, you kiss!

BK

superbowlpats
08-08-2017, 07:13 PM

well one advantage of being old is Masters 50+ racing. 45 min and a 10:30 start time :hello:

(ps I do agree its crazy expensive for 30 min)

shovelhd
08-08-2017, 07:14 PM
It's a UCI race. You're paying for the status. You are the undercard.

e-RICHIE
08-08-2017, 07:23 PM
It's a UCI race. You're paying for the status. You are the undercard.

That'll change soon. The banner events can't continue to exist if their revenue stream comes from the non-Elite categories. That model died years ago, and is on life support. Promoters will have to decide which master they serve. It won't be, and can't be, both.

Bruce K
08-08-2017, 07:24 PM
Cold hard facts. ^^^^. (Both)

More bang for your buck at the more local events but being part of the "biggies" has an appeal for many.

BK

e-RICHIE
08-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Cold hard facts. ^^^^

More bang for your buck at the more local events but being part of the "biggies" has an appeal for many.

BK

It's called FOMO.
And that ship has sailed too.

Bruce K
08-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Maybe for some but the sell-outs say not yet for many

BK

shovelhd
08-08-2017, 07:40 PM
That'll change soon. The banner events can't continue to exist if their revenue stream comes from the non-Elite categories. That model died years ago, and is on life support. Promoters will have to decide which master they serve. It won't be, and can't be, both.

While I won't try to predict how the UCI will drive competitive cycling in the future, I disagree that big events won't exist. Yes, it is getting harder and harder to promote any event at any level, no doubt about that. We have lost way too many big events in the recent past. But people still pay $120 to race their age or category in a national championship event, and that hasn't changed. There will always be big events.

Riders shouldn't complain about the cost of big events unless they've promoted a big event. Just stick to the small events where the value proposition is better.

e-RICHIE
08-08-2017, 07:40 PM
Maybe for some but the sell-outs say not yet for many

BK

As has been mentioned, these oversold undercard fields that race for 40 minutes or less are the cash cow. Their entries make everything else possible.

e-RICHIE
08-08-2017, 07:44 PM
While I won't try to predict how the UCI will drive competitive cycling in the future, I disagree that big events won't exist. Yes, it is getting harder and harder to promote any event at any level, no doubt about that. We have lost way too many big events in the recent past. But people still pay $120 to race their age or category in a national championship event, and that hasn't changed. There will always be big events.

Riders shouldn't complain about the cost of big events unless they've promoted a big event. Just stick to the small events where the value proposition is better.

Huh? I complain about the cost regularly because I have to write the checks. But I still go, and support each and every one of them. If you had any idea what the cost per body was to be present at 30+ races a year, the entry fees (over $70 per rider at KMC), the lodging, meals, gas and tolls, and ancillary items needed to ensure the bicycles will survive, you may have a different POV.

shovelhd
08-08-2017, 08:18 PM
I've been on the receiving end of that sponsorship, so yes, I do have an appreciation of what it costs to sponsor riders. I also belong to a club that pays out over $10k yearly to everyday amateurs for just showing up and racing in the club kit, and also spends more than that to sponsor racers at the level your guys and gals are racing at. I get it. But that's not what we were talking about. The conversation was about lower category riders paying $50 to race for 30 minutes.

e-RICHIE
08-08-2017, 08:22 PM
I've been on the receiving end of that sponsorship, so yes, I do have an appreciation of what it costs to sponsor riders. I also belong to a club that pays out over $10k yearly to everyday amateurs for just showing up and racing in the club kit, and also spends more than that to sponsor racers at the level your guys and gals are racing at. I get it. But that's not what we were talking about. The conversation was about lower category riders paying $50 to race for 30 minutes.

And I'll reiterate that the model is broken. The lower category people will ultimately race at a venue that caters to them, and the Elites will race at venues that do the same. The same promoter/promotion will not serve both masters for too much longer.

shovelhd
08-08-2017, 08:36 PM
I agree that the model is broken. The cash cow may become history, but there will always be lower category riders that want to race the big events.

superbowlpats
08-08-2017, 08:45 PM
It's called FOMO.
And that ship has sailed too.

FOMO - Had to Google that. :) and for me that was the case. I'm old (57) but new to CX (3rd year) and missed out on Gloucester last year. The big events have a certain amount of cache (finish line structures for example and seeing the riders you read about) that I find appealing. But I also race just about anything within a 90 min drive (Ice Weasels being a big fav). But you are on to something - last year some categories sold out in less than an hour. this year there are still slots available. and KMC is running about 7x fewer racers than Gloucester which might be driven more by their newer venue? I hear PVD was a better venue for racing and spectators. I am giving KMC another shot this year to see if its improved from its first year, if not I probably wont be back.

shovelhd
08-08-2017, 09:03 PM
I think moving KMC to three days, including Friday, has something to do with it.

vertebraille
08-08-2017, 09:10 PM
I'm curious about the low reg numbers for KMC so far compared to Gloucester almost selling out today in the amateur fields. Anyone with some more involvement or history want to weigh in? Was Providence as big as GPG? Did the culture or vibe of the race change significantly when it moved to CT? I never got to attend Providence unfortunately.

Bruce K
08-09-2017, 04:23 AM
Providence may have benefitted from "Holy Week".

Gloucester the first weekend, Night Weasels on Wednesday, Providence the following weekend.

Lots of UCI points in a short timeframe located close together.

Now that they are separated by a little time it may not be as valuable to have to come to the Boston area twice.

The other part, as stated, is having to take Friday off could limit amateur fields as well.

BK

sandyrs
08-09-2017, 05:26 AM

I'm not sure how your second point here is any different from the point I was making when I was "complaining" about the price of Gloucester. I'm not saying Gloucester should be $25 and let everyone race for 50 minutes plus. I'm saying I am making the conscious decision to stick to smaller races because the big ones don't provide a value proposition I find compelling anymore. And now you and e Richie are having a conversation about it.

shovelhd
08-09-2017, 06:42 AM
I'm not sure how your second point here is any different from the point I was making when I was "complaining" about the price of Gloucester. I'm not saying Gloucester should be $25 and let everyone race for 50 minutes plus. I'm saying I am making the conscious decision to stick to smaller races because the big ones don't provide a value proposition I find compelling anymore. And now you and e Richie are having a conversation about it.

We are all pretty much saying the same thing. E-Richie and I disagree a bit on the future, that's all. No worries.

shovelhd
08-09-2017, 06:43 AM
I'm curious about the low reg numbers for KMC so far compared to Gloucester almost selling out today in the amateur fields. Anyone with some more involvement or history want to weigh in? Was Providence as big as GPG? Did the culture or vibe of the race change significantly when it moved to CT? I never got to attend Providence unfortunately.

Providence has had some history, not all of it good, in the recent past. Back in the day, it was a pretty big race.

sandyrs
08-09-2017, 09:16 AM
Providence has had some history, not all of it good, in the recent past. Back in the day, it was a pretty big race.

Yep. I'm not in the know enough to speak authoritatively on what exactly happened with the city (I've heard lots of talk, but don't want to spread false rumors), but I know that Providence used to be an amazing race with an unmatched spectating atmosphere and I really miss it.

Also, I tried to race KMC last year and forgot my shoes, but that one is on me. :)

superbowlpats
05-21-2018, 11:50 AM
In case anyone was curious, registration opens August 7th at noon so mark your calendars if you plan to race it.

https://www.bikereg.com/gpg18

Yes this is a bit early but #crossiscoming :hello:

superbowlpats
08-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Best CX race venue in the NE IMHO:hello:

Many of the Masters Divisions sell out fast!

C40_guy
08-06-2018, 05:59 PM
Best CX race venue in the NE IMHO:hello:

Many of the Masters Divisions sell out fast!

Three CX events within 10 miles of my house on Cape Cod, one almost within walking distance.

I don't think any of them sell out.

I guess people think Cape Cod closes on Labor Day. :)

C40_guy
08-06-2018, 06:02 PM

Not really a direct comparison, but autocrossing is more expensive per minute.

Show up at 7 am for tech, pay $50 or $60, get 4 runs at 2 minutes each. Shag a bunch of cones. Go home tired and sunburned and happy at 4 pm.

It's about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. :)

superbowlpats
08-06-2018, 06:52 PM
Three CX events within 10 miles of my house on Cape Cod, one almost within walking distance.

I don't think any of them sell out.

I guess people think Cape Cod closes on Labor Day. :)

and I'll race all three :banana: but for some reason a lot of people dont want to cross the bridges.

But the Gloucester venue is amazing. and I race Masters so i get a full 45 minutes of pain :bike:

Bruce K
08-07-2018, 03:32 PM
Some fields are almost closed

Be there or be square

BK

superbowlpats
08-27-2019, 06:11 PM
CX is coming!! Registration opens tomorrow at noon. Best CX venue in the NE IMHO. Not a bargain, especially CAT 4/5s but the Masters races are star studded and fill up fast! :hello:

https://www.bikereg.com/42469

superbowlpats
08-27-2019, 08:04 PM
Just got an email saying registration is delayed 2 weeks. :eek: