PDA

View Full Version : RIP - Sam Shephard

OtayBW
07-31-2017, 04:37 PM
Edgy, craggy, poetic, dark, prolific, charismatic....interesting. I liked him.

RIP.

ojingoh
07-31-2017, 05:46 PM
Rip

gasman
07-31-2017, 08:01 PM
I liked his work also. Bet he was interesting in person .

KJMUNC
07-31-2017, 09:13 PM
Big loss of an unsung hero that most of the Kardashian-population won't ever acknowledge, but who had more talent then that whole clan can imagine.

I first remember seeing him in the movie adaptation of "The Right Stuff" as Yeager and I was hooked. He was excellent.....and that was just a sliver of his talent.

Hepmike
08-01-2017, 01:20 AM
He and Jessica Lange sat in front of me during a play at The Steppenwolf in Chicago many years ago and I was way too intimidated to say anything to them.

OtayBW
08-01-2017, 07:36 PM
From an article in the New Yorker by Patti Smith (http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/my-buddy-sam-shepard):
Sam liked being on the move. He’d throw a fishing rod or an old acoustic guitar in the back seat of his truck, maybe take a dog, but for sure a notebook, and a pen, and a pile of books. He liked packing up and leaving just like that, going west. He liked getting a role that would take him somewhere he really didn’t want to be, but where he would wind up taking in its strangeness; lonely fodder for future work.

August 1, 2017

EDIT: Link fixed. Sorry about that!

tiretrax
08-01-2017, 09:59 PM
Big loss of an unsung hero that most of the Kardashian-population won't ever acknowledge, but who had more talent then that whole clan can imagine.

Well stated. That clan's talent is their vapidity.

Sam Shepard was the modern Gary Cooper. Both always gave a great, subtle performance. I'll miss seeing his movies. Didn't realize he has ALS. Awful way to go. RIP.