PDA

View Full Version : Carbon specific brake pads

TronnyJenkins
07-31-2017, 12:41 PM
Is there really a difference in compounds for carbon pads, or is it good to just not share pads from aluminum rims? Will the Shimano r55c4 pads work?

or has anyone tried these?

https://www.amazon.com/VeloChampion-Shimano-Sram-Brake-Inserts/dp/B00K84Y78O/ref=pd_sbs_468_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00K84Y78O&pd_rd_r=4TYSWX5M6PEARZMBYRZT&pd_rd_w=CaRuP&pd_rd_wg=wQF1p&psc=1&refRID=4TYSWX5M6PEARZMBYRZT

TronnyJenkins
08-18-2017, 08:08 PM
bump, rephrase

regularguy412
08-18-2017, 08:53 PM
I only own, have owned, a total of 2 different carbon wheel sets. Both had full carbon braking surfaces. With my Easton tubulars, I chose to use the factory recommended Swiss Stop Yellows. My Mercury wheels came with recommended pads, but the conventional wisdom from other users of those stock pads stated they didn't stop too well and squealed badly. So from the start with the Mercurys, I chose to go with Swiss Stop Black Prince pads. These work very well with the Mercury wheels and after almost two year's use, I can see no appreciable brake track wear, save that the track has a little more shine to it now. They still stop like new.

I never got up the nerve to use an aluminum recommended pad on either of my wheel sets. From what I've read, it seems that the aluminum use pads tend to build up more heat on the carbon surfaces and may lead to brake track warping and premature failure.

Of course, the opposite way 'round with pads that HAVE been used on aluminum rims may have aluminum shards embedded and that would wreck havoc on a carbon brake track.

So as far as the pads posted via the link: nope,,, never used em. A friend of mine has some Bontrager carbon clinchers and uses cork pads on those. They seem to stop pretty well, but I've never ridden his bike to know for myself.

Mike in AR:beer:

TronnyJenkins
08-19-2017, 03:33 PM
I only own, have owned, a total of 2 different carbon wheel sets. Both had full carbon braking surfaces. With my Easton tubulars, I chose to use the factory recommended Swiss Stop Yellows. My Mercury wheels came with recommended pads, but the conventional wisdom from other users of those stock pads stated they didn't stop too well and squealed badly. So from the start with the Mercurys, I chose to go with Swiss Stop Black Prince pads. These work very well with the Mercury wheels and after almost two year's use, I can see no appreciable brake track wear, save that the track has a little more shine to it now. They still stop like new.

I never got up the nerve to use an aluminum recommended pad on either of my wheel sets. From what I've read, it seems that the aluminum use pads tend to build up more heat on the carbon surfaces and may lead to brake track warping and premature failure.

Of course, the opposite way 'round with pads that HAVE been used on aluminum rims may have aluminum shards embedded and that would wreck havoc on a carbon brake track.

So as far as the pads posted via the link: nope,,, never used em. A friend of mine has some Bontrager carbon clinchers and uses cork pads on those. They seem to stop pretty well, but I've never ridden his bike to know for myself.

Mike in AR:beer:

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just grab the most affordable I can find that are an actual name brand. This bike won't get ridden that often, so I don't want to spend $50 on brake pads.

ahumblecycler
08-20-2017, 06:50 AM
Aluminum pads are denser and will likely wear the brake track down on your carbon hoops quicker (not all tracks are equal). I hated Mavic yellow pads and had the best luck with Zipp cork pads (Bontrager works well too). I never tried Reynolds blue pads but heard things about it.

NEVER use the same pads between materials. Aluminum rims shed metal into the pads (that is where you brake track goes), which will damage you carbon hoops.

FYSA - carbon pads work terribly on aluminum wheels particularly cork.

R3awak3n
08-20-2017, 06:57 AM
carbon already brakes worst than alum, I say pay some extra money and get some decent pads (swiss stop black prince for example, if on reynolds get the cyro power blue pads, yes they are expensive but make a difference)

Tickdoc
08-20-2017, 07:56 AM
My experience of three pads on one set of carbon wheels...enve non-ses wheels:

Campagnolo stock black pads.

Swiss stop yellow carbon specific pads

Enve carbon specific pads.

Results? They all suck.

And they all suck balls in the wet.

(The stock campys were the best, btw)

Kingfisher
08-20-2017, 08:01 AM
I just picked up a used Emonda on ebay last week, the owner had put FLO 45 carbon wheels on it and bike had their proprietary brake pads. I was surprised at their stopping power. Honestly couldn't tell the difference between them and regular pads.

trener1
08-20-2017, 08:12 AM
Williams has some very affordable pads, I haven't used so I can't say if/how they work, but certainly worth a look
http://www.williamscycling.com/Williams-Blue-Brake-Pads-for-Carbon-Rims_p_181.html

Mike V
08-20-2017, 08:38 AM
Going cheep on brake pads is like getting generic heart medication or generic birth control.

jc031699
08-20-2017, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just grab the most affordable I can find that are an actual name brand. This bike won't get ridden that often, so I don't want to spend $50 on brake pads.

Check out the one Boyd has. Very affordable last that I checked, with good reviews and temperature data.

macaroon
08-20-2017, 09:02 AM
These work well; cheap and cheerful.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-carbon-road-brake-inserts-pack-of-4/

jds108
08-20-2017, 10:48 AM
Going cheep on brake pads is like getting generic heart medication or generic birth control.

I've been on generic heart meds for years, nothing wrong with them. I'm curious why somebody would even think this is an issue.

TronnyJenkins
08-20-2017, 04:09 PM
Hahaha.

These work well; cheap and cheerful.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-performance-carbon-road-brake-inserts-pack-of-4/

Thanks- I should have waited until today apparently. I ordered some Brakco blue pads (I think the same as Reynolds), but I'm sure these would have done the trick as well. I only paid $10 so not bad.

I was hoping to find some cheap black pads, but I guess I can get the Sharpie out. (It's for a very specific build otherwise I wouldn't give a crap what color they are)

chiasticon
08-21-2017, 08:42 AM
as an aside, I have a similar question: how much does it hurt to use non-recommended brake pads? on the road, I use what the manufacturer recommends. but for cross, I have multiple wheel sets and swap them often. I just use the Black Prince pads. I figure I'm using way less stopping power than on the road, so probably not much chance of damaging anything. plus all my wheels were 2nd hand, so out of warranty anyway...

but to answer the OP's question: just get carbon pads. sure they're pricier than alu pads. but if you don't ride the bike much, as you said, they'll last a long time anyway.

false_Aest
08-21-2017, 09:09 AM

Nah dude. those are all regulated so it's cool. What you mean to say is,

"It's like buying condoms from the 75%-off bin at the dollar store."
----

I've tried a few cheap carbon pads. They seem to fade a bit more than expensive ones as they heat up. Not a problem on flats or if you're going slow. Huge PITA at other times.

Boyd's pads are quite good (at least when paired with their current gen of CF hoops) and have lasted me over a year with a lot of riding on steep/twisty descents. SwissStop were also quite good but squealed and left that yellow stuff on my rims. I tried Bontrager cork rims a few years ago and I just couldn't get a feel for them.

Shimano's + Zipp's gray pads are next on my list to try.