PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a hitch installed?

FastforaSlowGuy
07-30-2017, 06:01 AM
It's nearing vacation time, which must mean it's time for my annual negotiation of whether there is room in the car for my bike. Every year I say to myself "a hitch rack would solve this"., but my car doesn't have a hitch installed. We drive a SUV and I'm not a tall man, so a roof rack isn't useful. The dealer wants an arm and a leg. North of $3K (Cayenne). I see folks driving around with UHaul hitches, but the reviews of their quality and install experience are mixed. I can buy one online but I have zero time to do the work. Where does one go for this kind of work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bentley
07-30-2017, 06:08 AM
I know a lot of people get hitches installed at UHaul. Honestly you can buy a hitch on line and in general it easy peasy to bolt on.

I've never heard of a hitch accessory costing $3K

Best

Ray

djdj
07-30-2017, 06:18 AM
If you get a hitch for that Porsche, you should get one that hides away. I've been looking at Execuhitch. I've not bought one yet, but they say they can recommend installers in major metro areas.

CNY rider
07-30-2017, 06:25 AM
My local mechanic does it for me.
I have had him install a couple.
I just pay his hourly labor rate.
Everyone's happy.:banana:

Bruce K
07-30-2017, 06:59 AM
There used to be a couple of specialty businesses in the Boston area that sold trailers, campers, and hitches.

I would check around for one of those.

I used one in Wakefield but it's been a little nh while.

Definitely NOT the Porsche hitch or labor rate!!

BK

Bruce K
07-30-2017, 07:02 AM
Quick online search and I get Car Zone in Somerville (with lots of good reviews), and Cap World in Saugus.

BK

AngryScientist
07-30-2017, 08:19 AM
what year is your cayenne?

a quick search on etrailer shows a "difficulty rating" for installation on a 2014 as 10 out of 10. in other words it's not a simple bolt on, at least for that year.

you have a very nice SUV, i would buy the hitch online from etrailer and find a reputable indy euro mechanic shop and have them install it.

eddief
07-30-2017, 08:30 AM
on one hand Uhaul does a zillion of them, on the other I get that vibe about quality. On my Sportwagen it is supposed to be four bolts and no cutting, but you do have to take off the bumper cover. That's a lot o plastic and a lot o clips.

So my guess is Uhaul has done it many many times. On the other hand, my independent guy says he's removed a zillion bumper covers too and will charge his hourly rate. So I figure about $110 for the hitch and about the same in labor. That's what Uhaul wants. Muffler and hitch guy in town wants $300.

gavingould
07-30-2017, 08:39 AM
i installed myself on a Volvo XC60, purchased and followed instructional video from etrailer.
it went relatively smoothly, though there were some VERY tight places to get tools into and i don't have a lift or even jackstands so this was done on the floor of my garage.

i'd do exactly what angryscientist said. likely you'll pay more for the labor than the parts but it'll be done correctly and save you the headaches.

alancw3
07-30-2017, 08:54 AM
over the last 15 years i have had four curt manufacturing trailer hitches installed on car/van/suv i have owned just to be able to use my bike rack. anyway i suggest you find a local rv dealer that uses curt manufacturing hitches in their hitch department.

here is the curt manufacturing hitch you need:

http://www.curtmfg.com/HitchLookup/find?year=2016&make=Porsche&model=Cayenne

i used 2016 as the year because you did not specified. i could not be more happy with the curt hitches that i have hard installed on my vehicles.

eddief
07-30-2017, 09:01 AM
https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/13116/installsheet/CM_13116_INS.PDF

over the last 15 years i have had four curt manufacturing trailer hitches installed on cars/vans/suvs i have owned just to be able to use my bike rack. anyway i suggest you find a local travel trailer company that uses curt manufacturing hitches in their hitch department.

here is the curt manufacturing hitch you need:

http://www.curtmfg.com/HitchLookup/find?year=2016&make=Porsche&model=Cayenne

i used 2016 as the year because you did not specified.

Vientomas
07-30-2017, 09:45 AM
You own a Porsche. Pretty much anything having to do with the vehicle will be expensive. I know from personal experience. Great vehicles IMO. Angry's suggestion is well taken. More info on Porsche forums...http://www.cayenneforums.com/forum/porsche-cayenne-exterior-modifications-forum/1197-trailer-hitch.html

morrisericd
07-30-2017, 09:57 AM
I bought a hitch from these guys for my Audi SQ5.

http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/

They have a list of approved installers for different areas. There wasn't one in my area (Vermont) so I had a local body shop do it (my theory was the hardest part of the install is removing the bumper and sensors and then putting them back together). Everything went super smooth and cost around $250 for the install.

I have a Kuat rack on it now - works like a charm.

I've towed my boat around (Boston Whaler - maybe 3,000 lbs) with no issues.

I cannot recommend them highly enough! When you're done towing or hauling bikes around two screws and your bumper panel is back on and no one would ever know you have a hitch on there.

clyde the point
07-30-2017, 10:07 AM
rockauto.com

Have your local grease monkey install, one that's qualified of course. I have done my own, using Curt stuff. Not too bad.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/porsche,2014,cayenne,4.8l+v8,3305956,accessories,t railer+hitch,1212

$142 plus the ride.

ColonelJLloyd
07-30-2017, 10:32 AM
you have a very nice SUV, i would buy the hitch online from etrailer and find a reputable indy euro mechanic shop and have them install it.

+1

I've installed two different hitches from etrailer myself on a 2011 Rav4 and a 2006 Murano. Both were dead simple, but they do require a few tools and time.

A competent mechanic should be able to take your hitch and have it installed in short order at a fair price.

Mikej
07-30-2017, 11:05 AM
rockauto.com

Have your local grease monkey install, one that's qualified of course. I have done my own, using Curt stuff. Not too bad.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/porsche,2014,cayenne,4.8l+v8,3305956,accessories,t railer+hitch,1212

$142 plus the ride.

Let's stick with mechanic - I don't know if ECOHITCH makes a Porsche hitch, but my Subaru is equipped with one.

vqdriver
07-30-2017, 01:31 PM
that execuhitch looks nice. no audi or minivan for me tho... :(

i had uhaul install my receiver. installation quality was good. but they do a ton, so my impression was that it's largely dependent on who's there that day and how busy they are. i imagine beginning of summer would be bad. also, depends on if you just want the receiver installed or if you need wiring done for brake/signal lights. for the most common makes, there's conversion harness that just plug in and are tough to screw up. others require some know-how and experience.

the receiver quality itself is fine, i think it's made by draw-tite. but that would depend on what you're using it for. for a bike rack, no problem. if i'm pulling a boat or something, i'd be more picky.