PDA

View Full Version : New to Cyclocross

Miranda
09-04-2006, 07:32 AM
Is it normal to have a cyclocross bike that the tire sometimes comes in contact with your cycling shoe when you make a turn? If so. What why is the frame set up that way?

Is a cyclocross bike equipped with disc brakes legal to race on?

DfCas
09-04-2006, 07:43 AM
Sometimes happens,usually in the small sizes.A friend (2 time national age group champion) told me that the best handling cross bike he ever had had some Toe overlap.

Disc brakes are not legal for UCI races,but are OK for most races in the US. The USCF has not adopted that rule.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47

This is the cyclodross forum on RBR.You may do a search there for a lot of discussion about the silly disc brake rules.

dan

zank
09-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Hi Miranda, welcome to cross!

Your second question first. Disk brakes are legal in all non-UCI races. That includes all non-UCI categories at a UCI event. So, unless you race in one of the Elite categories, you can use your disk brakes. I question why disks are ever necessary for a cross race, but that is a different thread. Where the ladies can run into trouble is if there is only one women's category at a UCI level race. If the officials are really paying attention, you may not be allowed to race with your disks. But, at least up here in New England, there is always a Women's B race at the UCI level races and disks are fine for that race.

Now, about the toe overlap. Cross bikes, even small ones, typically have less toe overlap than road bikes. This is because the head tube angle is more relaxed on a cross bike than a road bike, which moves the front wheel further away from the cranks. However, you are dealing with a larger tire on a cross bike which negates some of the advantage of the slacker head tube angle. On smaller bikes with short top tubes, toe clip overlap is near impossible to avoid. There are ways to go about minimizing it, but it is often at the expense of ideal handling or weight distribution. There are always trade-offs when designing a frame. Has it been problematic for you?

Good luck! When is your first race?

shinomaster
09-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Miranda my fuji cross does that to me but it has never been a problem in a race, just in the parking lot, doing a U turn with a six pack.

Ginger
09-04-2006, 03:30 PM
That's why you carry the sixer on the top tube...(oh that's right..you probably drink that fancy beer out of glass bottles...the top tube trick only works with cans)