PDA

View Full Version : OT: Jetsons = Tesla Model 3 interior

eddief
07-29-2017, 02:46 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-3-minimalistic-interior-2017-7

Wonder how that interface works while actually driving the car?

Looks cool.

BobO
07-29-2017, 02:52 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-3-minimalistic-interior-2017-7

Wonder how that interface works while actually driving the car?

Looks cool.

Instead, all information in the vehicle is displayed on a 15-inch, horizontal touchscreen display, mounted in the middle of the dashboard. And unlike other carmakers, Tesla hasn't shifted functions to the steering wheel. There are two control stalks and a pair of multi-purpose thumb wheels.

Emphasis mine.

This thing is a cyclists worst nightmare.

ultraman6970
07-29-2017, 03:02 PM
Nightmare? it depends of the driver if you have an idiot that is distracted the guy will run over an 18 wheeler because he did not see it you know.

The car is super cool... wonder what tucker would have done if he was still alive...

BobO
07-29-2017, 03:10 PM
Nightmare? it depends of the driver if you have an idiot that is distracted the guy will run over an 18 wheeler because he did not see it you know.

Not only does it not have tactile controls that one can operate while looking up at the road, it also forces one's head to turn to the side to see commonly used driver data. Why no HUD? Why no controls available at the fingertips? Then there's the screen, because, people aren't trending towards being severely distracted by screens. :crap: Oh, by the way, those screens are also very effective at blinding the occupants of the car at night. The trend towards touch screen controls in cars is dangerous, this, is idiotic.

oldpotatoe
07-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Emphasis mine.

Yup, even military jets have HOTAS...Hands On Throttle and Stick...have had for 3 decades.

nmrt
07-29-2017, 03:49 PM
+1 when i drove the tesla, despite being enamored by the clutterless-ness of the interior, i was aghast by the lack of tactile controls.
non-tactile controls = looking at the screen while controlling it = not looking at the potential cyclis

Not only does it not have tactile controls that one can operate while looking up at the road, it also forces one's head to turn to the side to see commonly used driver data. Why no HUD? Why no controls available at the fingertips? Then there's the screen, because, people aren't trending towards being severely distracted by screens. :crap: Oh, by the way, those screens are also very effective at blinding the occupants of the car at night. The trend towards touch screen controls in cars is dangerous, this, is idiotic.

Tickdoc
07-29-2017, 03:59 PM
no distractions here ;)

https://www.theautochannel.com/news/2017/07/28/412901-bollinger-motors-reveals-b1-worlds-first-all-electric-sport-utility.1-lg.jpg

OtayBW
07-29-2017, 04:04 PM
^ Yes - it's so nice that they provide a handy place to put your ammo box right up front there where you can get at it easily....:rolleyes:

BobO
07-29-2017, 04:06 PM
Is that an electric meter in the center of the dash?

eddief
07-29-2017, 04:19 PM
driver interface and touchscreen are quite ok, except the station preset "buttons" for the satellite radio cause one to have to aim the finger to get the right one. and that often means taking eye off the road to hit it right. glad it has both volume and tuning knobs...and I'd be happier with real buttons.

pjm
07-29-2017, 05:00 PM
Yuck. It's a car guys worst nightmare. Take me back to this....

tuscanyswe
07-29-2017, 05:03 PM
Looks like one big distraction. Doesn't look like safety was the number one concern unfortunately.

dgauthier
07-29-2017, 05:18 PM
..Why no controls available at the fingertips?...

Buttons on the steering wheel control the display.

Driver distraction won't be an issue because the driver won't be driving...

MattTuck
07-29-2017, 05:35 PM
My wife and I recently test drove a Mazda CX-5, which has a screen that is in a similar position. They are calling it a heads up display. She was nauseous driving the car. Not for everyone, that is for sure.

eddief
07-29-2017, 05:43 PM
http://www.mattcastruccimazda.com/blog/2017-mazda6-features-and-options/2017-mazda6-b2_o/

My wife and I recently test drove a Mazda CX-5, which has a screen that is in a similar position. They are calling it a heads up display. She was nauseous driving the car. Not for everyone, that is for sure.

Peter P.
07-29-2017, 05:44 PM

I'm with ya' on this 100%.

BobO
07-29-2017, 06:40 PM
Buttons on the steering wheel control the display.

You still have to look at the screen to know what function the buttons are operating at the moment.

Driver distraction won't be an issue because the driver won't be driving...

That would certainly alleviate some of the concern. But, that capability is not yet ready for prime time.

mistermo
07-30-2017, 07:03 AM
I'm on the pre order list for this new Tesla. Ya'll read my mind about the display when I saw it. By contrast, I drive a 12yr old VW TDI manual and love it. I prefer being engaged in the activity of driving. Never use a cruise control. I can't imagine looking down and to my right to see my speed.

ultraman6970
07-30-2017, 07:38 AM
Some schools buses have this look to the side speedometer situation, you get used to it. I went *** when I drove one with this configuration and school buses arent famous for their friendly control panels, at the end you get used to look at the side you know.

Rada
07-30-2017, 08:28 AM
The roof is pretty cool, though I am not sure how safe it would be in an accident. There is really nothing about this car that would make me consider buying it.

enr1co
07-30-2017, 09:41 AM
Placement of controls, e.g. climate, navi, sound, etc. towards the center is no different than where current gas car makers have traditionally and continue to locate those controls.

The larger 15" touch screen is likely less distracting than those harder to view, smaller 7-8 inch pop up screens that gas car makers are placing at the center of the dash/console.

... and yes, I currently drive a Tesla with similar touch screen placement and choose not to drive distracted.

dgauthier
07-30-2017, 10:38 AM
I'm on the pre order list for this new Tesla. Ya'll read my mind about the display when I saw it. By contrast, I drive a 12yr old VW TDI manual and love it. I prefer being engaged in the activity of driving. Never use a cruise control. I can't imagine looking down and to my right to see my speed.

Don't fret. Early reviews of the car say glancing at the screen is no different than glancing at a speedometer. (You must know this -- aren't you devouring every word you can find about the car?)

As a cyclist, one has to love Tesla. Cars are dinosaurs, running on dinosaur blood. And some people, like kookmyer's "You don't have the right of way" idiot and her ilk, need to never control a car again. Tesla is creating an emissionless, safer future right now, and single-handedly prodding every comfortable auto manufacturer to step up their efforts to do the same.

I hope you get your 3 soon, and I hope you *LOVE* your car.

peanutgallery
07-30-2017, 05:50 PM
My only experience with Tesla is my buddy's Model S and I have to tell you - what a pile of junk. That thing has spent more time in concierge whatever they call it than I deem necessary. We're talking multiple drivelines, seats, steering wheels, displays etc. He's in Philly or wherever the service place is at least once per month. And usually a repair involves more than one visit as the first is a diagnostic and the second is for the part install as that whole scene is sort of overlooked. I wouldn't tolerate it, but he does. His wife is a witch and I think he likes having something else to focus on

That thing has had so much service in its short life that I wonder how Elon sustains this whole thing? They've lost a ton of cash on that particular car. I will reserve judgement on the Model 3 but no thanks. I cannot get excited about one

verticaldoug
07-30-2017, 06:00 PM
I saw a model X in London and thought it looked hideous. I see Model X's driving around in Westchester, and for some reason, Model X doesn't look bad here.

My daughter received a lift from her friend to camp this weekend. They picked her up in a Model X. My daughter could not get the gull wing rear door to open properly. So the driver had to open it from his seat and close it. The controls by the driver are nice, but was funny trying to watch my daughter try to open the door.

I believe sales of the X are stalling and so is the S. If Tesla can not hit the production goals for the 3, it could finally be a day of reckoning. I think Tesla is going to $80.

choke
07-30-2017, 06:08 PM
The trend towards touch screen controls in cars is dangerous, this, is idiotic.I'm with you 100%. I can't see myself ever owning a car with a touchscreen...

Anarchist
07-30-2017, 06:16 PM
My wife and I are car shopping at present.

We test drove an Acura last week that had TWO screens in the centre console.

TWO.

Black Dog
07-30-2017, 06:25 PM
I'm with you 100%. I can't see myself ever owning a car with a touchscreen...

I agree. However it is hard to find a vehicle without them, very hard. We picked up a 2 year old used minivan last winter, it took all long time to find what we wanted (no screens).

Davist
07-31-2017, 08:14 AM
Tesla is creating an emissionless, safer future right now.

How come we never talk about the chemical waste dump that is the battery system? EVs use the Li ION batteries until about 80% of their life, what to do with all those "used up" cells? No real large scale ideas right now.. Yes, I work in the power industry, yes, I've heard the ideas for local level microgrids to back up solar, no, nothing's really happening yet.. some of our R&D in the matter has ended up explosively, just like the phones..

Bostic
07-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Where I work in Campbell there are at least 15 Tesla Model S cars that I see on a daily basis in the parking lot. There are no charging stations either or else that would a zoo like it was at my previous job.

Earlier this month my wife and I went on vacation to Utah. In 7 days we put 1100 miles on the rental car from Salt Lake City to Torrey, Capitol Reef and then over to Moab and down to the Needles portion of Canyonlands. The entire trip I saw exactly one Model S, on HW 70 and that's it. I made a conscious effort to keep an eye out everywhere for them too.

I personally don't like touch screens. Give me a bunch of analog things to turn any day.

cdimattio
07-31-2017, 12:06 PM
no distractions here ;)

https://www.theautochannel.com/news/2017/07/28/412901-bollinger-motors-reveals-b1-worlds-first-all-electric-sport-utility.1-lg.jpg

Great looking design for sure. Any word on range or pricing for the Bollinger?

scrubadub
08-01-2017, 08:31 PM
I have a 6-seater Model X (and came from a manual Audi A4). It's a fabulous car for transporting the kids and while I was skeptical of the touchscreen interface I've come around to it. No, it's not perfect but most important things can be controlled from the steering wheel. No mechanical issues thus far.

There is no way I will ever buy an ICE again (nor a car without at least auto cruise control). I think the Model 3 looks fabulous inside and out. It's like all the people who came out against the iPhone when that first came out.

enr1co
08-02-2017, 12:35 PM
My only experience with Tesla is my buddy's Model S and I have to tell you - what a pile of junk.

Since picking up my "pile of junk" model S at end of 2014 as a deeply discounted service loaner my experience has been:

- 4 days total at the service center to address
a) wind noise at the sunroof area during freeway speed. They said it was due to a deformed seal/gasket but they replaced this along with the entire glass roof to eliminate variables and mitigate risk of further noise or leaks.
b) door handle sqeak which they replaced

- easy view, accurate touchscreen interface,
- regular software upgrades improving touchscreen, controls and car and battery performance,
- zero $ maintainence expense,
- zero $ gas expense,
- ~ $10/ month home electricity expense. Primarily use the free supercharger 5 mi from my house on my way to work to juice batterry up to 240 mi range. Spend ~ 45 min at the charger and catch up on email or surf Paceline w/ the free wifi at this supercharger,
- have driven SF to LA and Oregon with no range issues due to the ample and convenient Tesla supercharging network along the main freeway routes and navi software to optimize range and traffic avoidance,
-hundreds of hours saved due to access to car pool/HOV /Fast Trak lane as a EV,
-best purchase, hassle free, service after sale I have ever experienced from a car manufacturer.

My only minor concern is the crowding at the superchargers with the production ramp of cars exceeding the build ramp of supercharger network. Nevertheless, the Tesla supercharger network is still the huge competitive edge to other manufacturers coming out with E- car offerings with no place to charge except for slow home charging or sporadicaly located and limited slow public chargers.

If ever the need for another car purchase, my first consideration will be for another "pile of junk" Tesla proudly made in the USA.

FlashUNC
08-02-2017, 12:56 PM
Center mounted gauges have been around as long as cars have been around. Sure, the Morris Mini is a death trap for probably different reasons, but looking to a center cluster isn't exactly a new phenomena in driving.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/25/73/e7/2573e722744cc795834d4e7317b7967a--mini-clubman-mini-coopers.jpg

https://cars.usnews.com/static/images/Auto/izmo/306771/2009_toyota_yaris_dashboard.jpg

kookmyers
08-02-2017, 09:53 PM
- ~ $10/ month home electricity expense. Primarily use the free supercharger 5 mi from my house on my way to work to juice batterry up to 240 mi range. Spend ~ 45 min at the charger and catch up on email or surf Paceline w/ the free wifi at this supercharger,
- have driven SF to LA and Oregon with no range issues due to the ample and convenient Tesla supercharging network along the main freeway routes and navi software to optimize range and traffic avoidance

My only minor concern is the crowding at the superchargers with the production ramp of cars exceeding the build ramp of supercharger network.

I read that Tesla has contacted owners that use the supercharger like you to politely ask them to stop. Perhaps this only happened for users of the most crowded ones but it is users such as yourself that create the problem. They intended for the superchargers to be used only as you did on your road trips.
If you receive this request, will you change your behavior?

bicycletricycle
08-02-2017, 10:22 PM
Interior looks great , will cause deaths.

Navigating a touch screen to adjust climate controls, radio, etc. is a bad idea.

Bostic
08-02-2017, 10:57 PM
At some point the cars purchased under the free unlimited charging are going to get throttled. Either it won't be free or super charge will become slug charge when they detect the car as it's plugged in to discourage it. It's just too good a thing to last.

enr1co
08-02-2017, 11:02 PM
At some point the cars purchased under the free unlimited charging are going to get throttled. Either it won't be free or super charge will become slug charge when they detect the car as it's plugged in to discourage it. It's just too good a thing to last.

Owners who purchased prior to JAN 2017 are grandfathered in for free supercharger use for as long as you own the car.

enr1co
08-02-2017, 11:09 PM
I read that Tesla has contacted owners that use the supercharger like you to politely ask them to stop. Perhaps this only happened for users of the most crowded ones but it is users such as yourself that create the problem. They intended for the superchargers to be used only as you did on your road trips.
If you receive this request, will you change your behavior?

No, its not "users like yourself that create the problem". To clarify I don't use the supercharger daily- I will usually stop by once a week, which is not flagrant abuse of supercharger use, but if ever requested, I'd have no issues with complying. There are folks who charge daily for which these guidelines were put in place as well as owners who leave their car there idle and beyond an hour or when the car is already fully charged and occupying the space.

dpk501
08-02-2017, 11:37 PM
Since picking up my "pile of junk" model S at end of 2014 as a deeply discounted service loaner my experience has been:

a) wind noise at the sunroof area during freeway speed. They said it was due to a deformed seal/gasket but they replaced this along with the entire glass roof to eliminate variables and mitigate risk of further noise or leaks.

- regular software upgrades improving touchscreen, controls and car and battery performance,
- zero $ gas expense,
- have driven SF to LA and Oregon with no range issues due to the ample and convenient Tesla supercharging network along the main freeway routes and navi software to optimize range and traffic avoidance,
-best purchase, hassle free, service after sale I have ever experienced from a car manufacturer.

My only minor concern is the crowding at the superchargers with the production ramp of cars exceeding the build ramp of supercharger network. Nevertheless, the Tesla supercharger network is still the huge competitive edge to other manufacturers coming out with E- car offerings with no place to charge except for slow home charging or sporadicaly located and limited slow public chargers.

If ever the need for another car purchase, my first consideration will be for another "pile of junk" Tesla proudly made in the USA.

Did the road noise from the cruddy I5 in Oregon not drive you nuts? That's the reason I never could jump to a Tesla and stuck with well sound insulated cars.

enr1co
08-03-2017, 12:28 AM
Did the road noise from the cruddy I5 in Oregon not drive you nuts? That's the reason I never could jump to a Tesla and stuck with well sound insulated cars.

Didn't really notice much noise except maybe in the mountain pass sections where chains have chewed up the roads.

cfox
08-03-2017, 07:21 AM
It looks like they hot-glued an off brand tablet to the dashboard.

peanutgallery
08-03-2017, 09:22 PM
This sounds like the makings of an episode of Portlandia

Have fun with the the Tesla

- zero $ gas expense,

dpk501
08-03-2017, 11:35 PM
Didn't really notice much noise except maybe in the mountain pass sections where chains have chewed up the roads.

That's all of the roads in portland, it's so bad. Same with driving up to Seattle. If they can make the Tesla as insulated as the Audi A6 (current whip), E-class/S-class or Lexus LS they'd be money. The awful sound system drove me nuts too.

shovelhd
08-04-2017, 05:04 PM
My only minor concern is the crowding at the superchargers with the production ramp of cars exceeding the build ramp of supercharger network.

I thought that the Model 3 couldn't be supercharged.

mistermo
08-04-2017, 06:33 PM
Interesting read about disruptive technologies: Disruptive Tech (https://shift.newco.co/amp/p/38b843bd4fe0)

SNIP:
Cars are complicated.
Behind the hum of a running engine lies a carefully balanced dance between sheathed steel pistons, intermeshed gears, and spinning rods — a choreography that lasts for millions of revolutions. But millions is not enough, and as we all have experienced, these parts eventually wear, and fail. Oil caps leak. Belts fray. Transmissions seize.

To get a sense of what problems may occur, here is a list of the most common vehicle repairs from 2015:

Replacing an oxygen sensor — $249
Replacing a catalytic converter — $1,153
Replacing ignition coil(s) and spark plug(s) — $390
Tightening or replacing a fuel cap — $15
Thermostat replacement — $210
Replacing ignition coil(s) — $236
Mass air flow sensor replacement — $382
Replacing spark plug wire(s) and spark plug(s) — $331
Replacing evaporative emissions (EVAP) purge control valve — $168
Replacing evaporative emissions (EVAP) purging solenoid — $184

And this list raises an interesting observation: None of these failures exist in an electric vehicle.

The point has been most often driven home by Tony Seba, a Stanford professor and guru of “disruption”, who revels in pointing out that an internal combustion engine drivetrain contains about 2,000 parts, while an electric vehicle drivetrain contains about 20. All other things being equal, a system with fewer moving parts will be more reliable than a system with more moving parts.

And that rule of thumb appears to hold for cars. In 2006, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration estimated that the average vehicle, built solely on internal combustion engines, lasted 150,000 miles.
Current estimates for the lifetime today’s electric vehicles are over 500,000 miles.

enr1co
08-04-2017, 10:43 PM
I thought that the Model 3 couldn't be supercharged.

The 3 can definitely use the superchargers but word is that there will be a fee.

"Two payment options: Tesla will offer both a pay-per-use option and a lifetime option. Musk gave this away when he said charging for long-distance travel would not be "free unless [Model 3 buyers] purchase that package."

"I wish we could [make Model 3 Supercharging free], but in order to achieve the economics, it has to be something like that," Musk said."

bfd
08-04-2017, 11:35 PM
Center mounted gauges have been around as long as cars have been around. Sure, the Morris Mini is a death trap for probably different reasons, but looking to a center cluster isn't exactly a new phenomena in driving.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/25/73/e7/2573e722744cc795834d4e7317b7967a--mini-clubman-mini-coopers.jpg

https://cars.usnews.com/static/images/Auto/izmo/306771/2009_toyota_yaris_dashboard.jpg

What's wrong with center mount guages? It seemed to have worked for the BMW Z8!

http://media.automanager.com/wmphotos/012309/ac3353f31eb2497386b8d324111e5434/f5145ad247_640.jpg

Good Luck!

pjm
08-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Don't think I've seen them in any BMW since. Maybe that electric thing that looks like a rolling trash compactor.

mistermo
06-22-2018, 02:19 PM
Bumping this thread. After having lived with the Tesla Model 3 for a month now, I am prepared to say that I was waaaay wrong with my initial concerns of the ergonomics. The speedo on the touchpad is MORE visible than the speedo dial mounted lower, and in the center of most cars. The touchpad is higher than most other cars' switches, which allows you keep eyes on the road more easily. The cabin has extraordinary visibility outward.

And relevant to this forum, a size 60 bike easily fits in the rear (front wheel off) with seats folded down.

Drmojo
06-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Interesting read about disruptive technologies: Disruptive Tech (https://shift.newco.co/amp/p/38b843bd4fe0)

SNIP:
Cars are complicated.
Behind the hum of a running engine lies a carefully balanced dance between sheathed steel pistons, intermeshed gears, and spinning rods — a choreography that lasts for millions of revolutions. But millions is not enough, and as we all have experienced, these parts eventually wear, and fail. Oil caps leak. Belts fray. Transmissions seize.

To get a sense of what problems may occur, here is a list of the most common vehicle repairs from 2015:

Replacing an oxygen sensor — $249
Replacing a catalytic converter — $1,153
Replacing ignition coil(s) and spark plug(s) — $390
Tightening or replacing a fuel cap — $15
Thermostat replacement — $210
Replacing ignition coil(s) — $236
Mass air flow sensor replacement — $382
Replacing spark plug wire(s) and spark plug(s) — $331
Replacing evaporative emissions (EVAP) purge control valve — $168
Replacing evaporative emissions (EVAP) purging solenoid — $184

And this list raises an interesting observation: None of these failures exist in an electric vehicle.

The point has been most often driven home by Tony Seba, a Stanford professor and guru of “disruption”, who revels in pointing out that an internal combustion engine drivetrain contains about 2,000 parts, while an electric vehicle drivetrain contains about 20. All other things being equal, a system with fewer moving parts will be more reliable than a system with more moving parts.

And that rule of thumb appears to hold for cars. In 2006, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration estimated that the average vehicle, built solely on internal combustion engines, lasted 150,000 miles.
Current estimates for the lifetime today’s electric vehicles are over 500,000 miles.
Best and fullest comment on ev vs exloding vroom vroom fume cars I have read
Pithy and ON point
all the nay sayers and Luddites are taken in by big oil propaganda
I say join the 21st century y’all
proud owner of Chevy Bolt who test drove 3 Tesla models first, and decided on the Bolt

Drmojo
06-22-2018, 03:02 PM
Bumping this thread. After having lived with the Tesla Model 3 for a month now, I am prepared to say that I was waaaay wrong with my initial concerns of the ergonomics. The speedo on the touchpad is MORE visible than the speedo dial mounted lower, and in the center of most cars. There touchpad is higher than most other cars' switches, which allows you keep eyes on the road more easily. The cabin has extraordinary visibility outward.

And relevant to this forum, a size 60 bike easily fits in the rear (front wheel off) with seats folded down.

with a Bolt:banana:
one of the many reasons I chose the Bolt

93KgBike
06-23-2018, 01:08 AM
If we all stopped driving all cars et al. today, our current infrastructure would last 150 years before replacement.

merlinmurph
06-23-2018, 02:03 AM
Pithy and ON point
proud owner of Chevy Bolt who test drove 3 Tesla models first, and decided on the Bolt

Yup. The utter simplicity of an electric car hit me on the head when I was in a Tesla "showroom" in a mall outside Boston. They had a cutaway model on the floor, and after analyzing it for about 5 minutes, it finally hit me. I asked a salesman a related question, and he smiled. Think about all the moving parts in the engine and transmission. Gone. I really love simplicity and electric cars are simple. I'd like to have one, but the current range issues are, well, an issue.

Those large 17" screens scare the heck out of me.

Cool stuff, though.

dgauthier
06-23-2018, 06:08 AM
Bumping this thread. After having lived with the Tesla Model 3 for a month now, I am prepared to say that I was waaaay wrong with my initial concerns of the ergonomics. The speedo on the touchpad is MORE visible than the speedo dial mounted lower, and in the center of most cars. There touchpad is higher than most other cars' switches, which allows you keep eyes on the road more easily. The cabin has extraordinary visibility outward.

I'm glad your car pleases you after such a long wait! Earlier you said you prefer to be engaged in the act of driving, and your previous ride was a manual TDi. How do you like driving the 3? Is it involving enough for you?

dgauthier
06-23-2018, 06:16 AM
(...) I really love simplicity and electric cars are simple. (...)

This is part of what makes electric cars relevant on a bike forum. The simplicity is appealing to the kind of people who like bikes, and the lack of emissions make them appealing to cyclists out on the road as well.

wallymann
06-23-2018, 06:53 AM
truth.

i just upgraded from a 2007 bmw 5-series to the same in 2010 with low-low miles. i checked out a current-gen 2018 edition...besides being priced to the moon, there's sooo much tech i couldnt stand it. that said, if i could afford it i wouldnt mind the just-released M5. ;-)

Yuck. It's a car guys worst nightmare. Take me back to this....

these days center-mounted instruments are a retro thing and for cost-savings. same console works in both LHD and RHD countries -- one set of parts/tooling!

mistermo
06-23-2018, 07:22 AM
I'm glad your car pleases you after such a long wait! Earlier you said you prefer to be engaged in the act of driving, and your previous ride was a manual TDi. How do you like driving the 3? Is it involving enough for you?

Yes, I struggled with the knowledge that electric would remove some of this, or so I thought. One of the reasons I like manual transmissions is because I like engine braking, or using the act of downshifting to slow the car. I hadn't thought through it, but the regenerative braking of an electric car is somewhat similar. As soon as I lift the throttle, the regenerative braking suddenly slows the car. I use the brake pedal very little. I still enjoy the act of driving and didn't opt for the autopilot. I never used cruise control on former cars, and neither this one. The very low center of gravity is amazing. It's go kart like. There's some stuff I miss about my old analog car, and I was wary about getting an EV, but in all I'm pretty stoke with this. After a month, I can't see going back to ICE (internal combustion engines).

oldpotatoe
06-23-2018, 07:49 AM
Pithy and ON point

Probably but with my trips to see mother in law, sister or grandkids...unless they make better range/quicker ‘refuel’, not in the cards for me and lots others. What will get electric a-rollin’? Scarce fuel...but electric or not will be overshadowed by the armed revolution...:)

oldpotatoe
06-23-2018, 07:52 AM
This is part of what makes electric cars relevant on a bike forum. The simplicity is appealing to the kind of people who like bikes, and the lack of emissions make them appealing to cyclists out on the road as well.

No doubt but remember, most electricity production is far from ‘emissions free’.

Drmojo
06-23-2018, 12:35 PM
old Spud
greatest amount of clean energy on our grid!
Altho you in Colorado were first to legalize weed!
We lead the way in most categories- good and bad

peanutgallery
06-23-2018, 10:48 PM
So when the model 3 finally hits the east coast, it'll be what? 4 years since the deposit boondoggle? My understanding is that orders are being filled geographically west to east

Curious about Tesla making it. Every day lately its tents, layoffs, fires, bad robots, misproduced parts, holes in batteries etc. Then ole Elon is sleeping at the factory...or is it with some model. I can't keep up, like a reality star on a bender. Lots of distractions

oldpotatoe
06-24-2018, 07:18 AM
old Spud

Yup, CO way behind in this..
CA-
The Energy Commission estimates that about 30 percent of 2017 retail electricity sales in California were served by renewable energy facilities, (Figure 1) such as wind, solar, geothermal, biomass, and small hydroelectric

Colorado is about 24%...

As for legal weed, Canada at the forefront again..eh?
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/23/canada-is-legalizing-recreational-marijuana-everyt.aspx

Mark McM
06-24-2018, 09:27 AM
old Spud

California produces a lot or electricity. It does lead the nation in total electric production with renewable energy - but it is also 10th largers in the nation for producing electricity with non-renewable energy. The upshot is that California only comes in 8th in the nation for percentage of electricity produced with renewable energy.(Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_electricity_production_from _renewable_sources)

But while California is reducing its own direct use of renewable energy, that is more than cancelled out by its export of non-renewable energy: California is the 3rd largest producer and exporter of petroleum in the US (following only Texas and North Dakota). California produces more petroleum than even Alaska. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_electricity_production_from _renewable_sources)

pobrien
06-24-2018, 03:51 PM
Very interesting discussion. Not a fan of Tesla or his vehicles.

As was mentioned, the electric batteries have a very high environmental footprint for manufacturing and for disposal.

I am looking forward to Hydrogen fuel cell cars to start making it to the streets soon. They will take about five minutes to fill and provide about the same range as a gasoline fueled car.

Toyota and Honda and the German companies will be rolling these out before long. Vancouver has opened a commercial Hydrogen station - a first.

zap
06-24-2018, 04:27 PM
Edit

So when the model 3 finally hits the east coast, it'll be what? 4 years since the deposit boondoggle? My understanding is that orders are being filled geographically west to east

I've seen 2 Model 3's in and around Raleigh, NC in the past month. Have to see what's under the car cover in my neighbors garage. He's been waiting for his Model 3......shape looks about right.

The Chevy Bolt is a smart looking vehicle and appears to have decent range.

peanutgallery
06-24-2018, 06:00 PM
Haven't seen one here, know of some folks that made a deposit, I'll have to ask. Did see a model S out in front of a place that specializes in high end used cars. First time for that around here

Edit

I've seen 2 Model 3's in and around Raleigh, NC in the past month. Have to see what's under the car cover in my neighbors garage. He's been waiting for his Model 3......shape looks about right.

The Chevy Bolt is a smart looking vehicle and appears to have decent range.

cloudguy
08-02-2018, 05:42 PM
Emphasis mine.

This reviewer seems to agree:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/08/02/behind-wheel-tesla-model-its-giant-iphone-better-worse/?utm_term=.33351647e8f7

oldpotatoe
08-03-2018, 08:02 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2018/08/02/behind-wheel-tesla-model-its-giant-iphone-better-worse/?utm_term=.33351647e8f7

Hmm, not long ago HUD type thing were the new rage for autos, driving data on windscreen in front of driver..now a HDD(Head Down Display)...with data, if you can find it, on this big ipad looking thing..Seems that auto-driving cars is the direction of this thing..pass....

speedevil
08-03-2018, 08:19 AM
My 2011 Corvette GS had HUD - rpm, speed, gear, temp, oil pressure. You could change the display between several optional configurations.

And this was 7 years ago.

BobO
08-03-2018, 09:09 AM

I've seen a few of these in practice and I'm more concerned than ever. Granted the drivers are probably new to the systems, but, I worry about extreme distraction with these superconnected, half-autonomous cars.

mistermo
08-03-2018, 05:03 PM

First paragraph sets the tone for this [mostly] useless article: "I joined a buddy recently to fawn as he received his long-delayed Tesla Model 3. When we first climbed in, the radio was blaring — and we couldn’t find an off button. There was nary a knob in sight. After a minute of frantic swiping on the oversize tablet that substitutes for a dashboard, I discovered how to turn down the volume by tapping repeatedly on an icon."

THE GUY IS A MORON! Just use the volume control on the steering wheel and turn it all the way down! It couldn't be easier. Why turn off the radio when it can be turned down, especially so easily?!?

FlashUNC
08-03-2018, 05:08 PM
Hey at the rate they're going, they might produce as many cars as NUMMI was on the plant site when it closed in 2010.

It's almost like making cars is hard or something and those established automotive manufacturers aren't complete idiots.

cloudguy
08-03-2018, 05:35 PM
THE GUY IS A MORON!

Perhaps, and yet such morons (which includes tens of millions of Americans, judging by the last election) will soon be driving around in cars like this one. Also, taken from the article, if you read that far:

"Then this week Musk tweeted he wants to hire video game developers “to make super fun games that integrate the center touch screen.” Yikes."

pasadena
08-03-2018, 05:36 PM
A cyclists worst nightmare is the cell phone.

The trend in ALL auto interfaces has become completely distracting and is truly "infotainment" and nothing to do with safety or ergonomics.

Arguably, Tesla 3's single screen is less distracting than some.
The Scion Xb's had central dials and no displays in front of the driver, and no one reported any safety problems.

The problem is with touchscreens in general. They simply are not safe, imo.
People don't really have a choice because it's either that or some desktop computer derivative (touchpad, dial, touchscreen)

The most successful and safe, imo, are conventional buttons and rotary knobs in conjuction with touchscreen for nav and lower level functions.

Tesla is a great success story. In the face of a conservative, slow moving and highly defensive industry, it carved a uber lux desirable nameplate.
That is difficult and not easily done for any amount of money. And he did it in America. I think it's great.

cloudguy
08-03-2018, 05:57 PM
Tesla is a great success story. In the face of a conservative, slow moving and highly defensive industry, it carved a uber lux desirable nameplate.
That is difficult and not easily done for any amount of money. And he did it in America. I think it's great.

Well so far Tesla has has not made a profit, so I wouldn't yet consider it a "success story". Musk says that the company will be making a profit in all future quarters - we shall see. Hopefully, things work out better than his kid-rescuing submarine.

mistermo
08-03-2018, 06:03 PM
Perhaps, and yet such morons (which includes tens of millions of Americans, judging by the last election) will soon be driving around in cars like this one. Also, taken from the article, if you read that far:

"Then this week Musk tweeted he wants to hire video game developers “to make super fun games that integrate the center touch screen.” Yikes."

People used to be afraid to ride elevators that weren't captained by an operator who opened/closed the door and punched the buttons as he sat on his stool. My Model 3 replaced a 13yr old VW TDI, with a manual transmission. One can't hardly own a more analog car.

Even in such an "old" car, I NEVER turned off the radio. If one frees their mind of convention, it becomes clear the on/off button is useless, when there's a volume control, more readily accessible. In today's cars, anyone who loses the on/off button will "suffer" for about 2 minutes before they realize the more logical alternative. So when Tesla removes the on/off button, this guy cries?!?. Wipers are automated-no need for a wiper button (unless I'm at the car wash). A/C & heat-Set temp and forget, as it's automated. Rearview mirrors-the car knows who's driving and positions them automatically for you. Car keys are old school. They're gone too.

The speedometer display caused me the most pre-purchase anxiety. Turns out the speed is higher, and more in my line of sight than the old-style binacle, where I have to look down. I've only used one HUD, on a BMW, and I was left wanting something better.

As for the video games, Tesla isn't stupid enough to create video games for drivers. What they HAVE done, is create easter eggs that do unique and funny things. For example, on the screen showing the car, I can change it to Santa's sleigh with reindeer. Silly, yes. Ridiculous, yes. Unnecessary, yes.
Dangerous, no. But my guess is Tesla wants programmers to help with self-driving technology.

Honestly, I was a skeptic before getting this car, but when one steps back from the conventional way of doing things, some of the muscle memory we've developed is no longer needed. I'm glad there's no more elevator captains, as I'm fully confident that elevator technology does it better.

ptourkin
08-03-2018, 06:22 PM
Very interesting discussion. Not a fan of Tesla or his vehicles.

As was mentioned, the electric batteries have a very high environmental footprint for manufacturing and for disposal.

I am looking forward to Hydrogen fuel cell cars to start making it to the streets soon. They will take about five minutes to fill and provide about the same range as a gasoline fueled car.

Toyota and Honda and the German companies will be rolling these out before long. Vancouver has opened a commercial Hydrogen station - a first.

Toyota has had the Mirai on the streets since 2015. There aren't a ton of them out there but they're available.

bfd
08-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Toyota has had the Mirai on the streets since 2015. There aren't a ton of them out there but they're available.

The Toyota Mirai is irrelevant. There’s like 2 or 3 filling stations in the entire SF Bay Area. I know one woman who has one, but her office is like next door to one of these stations. Otherwise, the infrastructure is insufficient to support the technology.

Good Luck!

CunegoFan
08-03-2018, 07:24 PM
Perhaps, and yet such morons (which includes tens of millions of Americans, judging by the last election) will soon be driving around in cars like this one

Don't worry. Most of those morons are so bedeviled by TDS that they have a hard time getting out of bed let alone driving.

cloudguy
08-03-2018, 07:45 PM
Don't worry. Most of those morons are so bedeviled by TDS that they have a hard time getting out of bed let alone driving.

Ha! I see what you did there. But TDS is just FAKE NEWS, whereas Q seems to be very real, scary, and hilarious at the same time. Morons indeed.

oldpotatoe
08-04-2018, 07:20 AM
The Toyota Mirai is irrelevant. There’s like 2 or 3 filling stations in the entire SF Bay Area. I know one woman who has one, but her office is like next door to one of these stations. Otherwise, the infrastructure is insufficient to support the technology.

Good Luck!

Until gas is scarce(expensive won't do it) don't expect electric or any other non fossil fuel vehicle to be plentiful. It may be too late by then but as long as oil is relatively cheap and available..it will be in 99.9% of cars out there.

Cuz it's 'good for the environment' doesn't do much yet..