PDA

View Full Version : Compass 650Bx42 Babyshoe Pass alternatives

mmfs
07-29-2017, 02:09 PM
I've been using Compass 650Bx42 Babyshoe Pass tires for the last +/-5000 miles on various road surfaces and I've been enjoying their excellent ride quality. I've probably changed them every 2000 miles or so when they show excessive wear. What I haven't enjoyed is the constant flat tires, even when new. Since most every ride starts in NYC where I live, it is inevitable that no matter how hard I try, I'm running over glass and all sorts of other detritus that cut up my tread.

What alternative tires of similar dimension should I be looking at? I'm not interested in super heavy flat protected tires - just something a little more durable. What should I be looking at? Rivendell Fatty Rumpkins? Something from Soma?

fiamme red
07-29-2017, 03:15 PM
Panaracer Gravel King.

R3awak3n
07-29-2017, 03:40 PM
That is interesting, I have commuted on babyshoe pass tires for the past 2-3 years, 8 miles a day from BK to somewhere in Manhattan and can count in my hand how many flats I had.

Are you on the super light ones or standard? Mine are the standard ones so that alone may make a huge difference.

mmfs
07-29-2017, 04:40 PM
I have the super light ones, but I thought the tread thickness was the same as on the regulars. And that only the sidewall thickness was different.

I must be taking the 'broken glass and wire shard route' from BK to Manhattan.

R3awak3n
07-29-2017, 06:52 PM
I have the super light ones, but I thought the tread thickness was the same as on the regulars. And that only the sidewall thickness was different.

I must be taking the 'broken glass and wire shard route' from BK to Manhattan.

haha yeah maybe you are. I am pretty sure the standard is a bit more robust also in the thread but I may be wrong. I also was running them tubeless for about 1000 miles and eventually had a puncture I could not have the sealant fix and been running them again tubbed for about 500 miles (before tubeless I ran them for a year tubbed and even went on some camping trips, with not many problems).

They just released the new babyshoes, they are 1mm wider and now the standard are indeed tubeless (I was running them tubeless but they were technically not tubeless ready, that said I had no problems whatsoever). You could try tubeless, its pretty great when it comes to glass.

AllanVarcoe
07-29-2017, 07:10 PM
The first time I saw those tires I figured they would flat out a lot! Back in my old BMX days before tires became bomb proof we would run a really worn out tire with the beads cut off underneath and we never got flats. (except for pinch flats)

I always figured this would be good for Bayshoe Pass tires. Anyone ever try that?

ColonelJLloyd
07-29-2017, 07:11 PM
Yeah, I would strongly encourage tubeless with Orange Seal whether you go with the Gravelking or updated Babyshoe.

Anyone ever try that?

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Removing the tire bead?

p nut
07-29-2017, 10:48 PM
I'm not sure what you're talking about. Removing the tire bead?

I believe he's saying installing the old tire under the new. Essentially doubling up, and using the old tire as sort of a tire liner. Not any sort of thing I would want to try.

AllanVarcoe
07-30-2017, 10:18 PM
Yeah, that's what I mean. Didn't think anyone did that on anything other than late 80's BMX bikes anyways. Haha!

I'd sure never do it now!

bicycletricycle
08-17-2017, 09:47 AM
Some evidence to add to the mix. I have been using Compass 650Bx42 Babyshoe Pass extralight tires for some time (with tubes). I have had good luck with very few flats. I think my current pair has about 1500-2000 miles on them.

I usually run them around 45 psi and don't re-inflate until they get down to about 35psi.

A few days ago I accidentally pumped them up to 55psi because I cant see the gauge that well (getting old). When I reached down to take the pump head off of the valve I noticed that I had over inflated it but I decided to just leave it.

Got a flat the next day from a small piece of glass......

I have always thought that the lower pressure gets you less flats thing seemed a little silly, I just can't imagine it would make that big of a difference. Not a believer yet but I thought I would share my experience.

donevwil
08-17-2017, 01:00 PM
Some evidence to add to the mix. I have been using Compass 650Bx42 Babyshoe Pass extralight tires for some time (with tubes). I have had good luck with very few flats. I think my current pair has about 1500-2000 miles on them.

I usually run them around 45 psi and don't re-inflate until they get down to about 35psi.

A few days ago I accidentally pumped them up to 55psi because I cant see the gauge that well (getting old). When I reached down to take the pump head off of the valve I noticed that I had over inflated it but I decided to just leave it.

Got a flat the next day from a small piece of glass......

I have always thought that the lower pressure gets you less flats thing seemed a little silly, I just can't imagine it would make that big of a difference. Not a believer yet but I thought I would share my experience.

Do you have any real-world experience to compare std and extra-light casings? I've read Jan's comments, but wonder how a typical Paceliner might compare them (not to imply you're a typical Paceliner if considered derogatory). Buying a pair of Babyshoes and have only ever ridden standard casing in 700c offerings.

bicycletricycle
08-17-2017, 01:34 PM
Do you have any real-world experience to compare std and extra-light casings? I've read Jan's comments, but wonder how a typical Paceliner might compare them (not to imply you're a typical Paceliner if considered derogatory). Buying a pair of Babyshoes and have only ever ridden standard casing in 700c offerings.

how PC of you :)

I have only run the extralights, I commute on them and tan walls get trashed. I have been thinking of getting the new gravel king 650bx42 but I suspect the 66tpi casing will be less supple.

Tandem Rider
08-17-2017, 01:40 PM
Yeah, that's what I mean. Didn't think anyone did that on anything other than late 80's BMX bikes anyways. Haha!

I'd sure never do it now!

I used to do that during the winter in the 80's on road tires. Where I lived at the time, they put cinders on the roads in the winter, it was like broken glass everywhere, 1 or 2 flats daily. Doubled up tires got me to 1 or 2 flats per winter riding 300 plus miles per week.

blakcloud
08-17-2017, 09:07 PM
Though not the exact tire I have been using Gran Bois Hetres and I finally gave up because of flats. Too many to count and I was tired of fixing flats. Flats on the road, flats when I woke up in the morning and flats late at night after meeting friends. The tires rode so well but not the tire for Toronto streets. But now after reading BicycleTricycle's comments, maybe I am too blame for some of it. It is possible I over inflated the tires. Now I am going to have try this again. Thanks for the tips.

Pelican
08-18-2017, 12:37 PM
I've been a big fan of the Panaracer GK's, back when I first tried them as Pacenti Pari-Moto's. I'm pretty sure the Compass tires are the same (made by Panaracer).

Having said that, we did get a lot of customers saying they got too many flats. We changed to a WTB Horizon Road Plus for this year. I've been testing them myself for ~6 months. They take a bit more effort to spin up, but they roll just as smoothly. The added thickness helps prevent small cuts from debris in the City. I expect to see these on a lot more bikes in the next few years.

Also testing the WTB Byway's right now. Might be a good option if you do more gravel/dirt/trails.

rpm
08-18-2017, 03:21 PM
There's a big difference between Pari Motos and even the extra light Compass tires. The Pari Motos have a much thinner tread and are much more flat prone. I had 3 flats in 2 weeks on Pari Motos. None in 5 months on Babyshoe Pass EL's.

mmfs
12-02-2018, 07:24 PM
Resurrecting my own thread. I arrived at using Schwalbe G-One Speed tires tubeless with Orange Seal Endurance. So far, so good!

https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/racing_tires/G-ONE_Speed

dmurphey
12-02-2018, 10:05 PM
I have a Cannondale Slate that came with Cannondale TRS 650 x 42 tires that were light, thin, flat tread. They rode very well. I ran them tubeless. I had a leak that would not seal after 4 months. I think these are essentially the same as Panaracer Gravel Kings. They are about 350 gm ea. I switched to Compass Baby Shoe Pass regular, not EL, these are 410 gm ea. I ran these tubeless. I ran these for about 9 months and also had a leak that would not seal. I'm now running some knobbies in order to get through gravel with loose stuff better, but the flat tread 650 x 42's were the cats pajamas on the road and nl gravel roads. If I ditch the knobbies then I am going to try the Compass or Panaracers with tubes, and squirt a little sealant in the tubes, hoping to get the ?more longevity of tubes and the self sealing of tubeless.

spoonrobot
12-03-2018, 04:25 AM
Any reason you didn't just use the BSPs tubeless?

I switched over in the spring, just pulled off the rear tire at 3000 pavement/500 gravel miles and had several "punctures" that sealed up and I never even noticed while riding. Like peices of staple, thorns and glass coagulated in sealant, pretty cool.

BassoBry
12-03-2018, 08:51 AM
I've run both the standard and extralight casing and surprisingly, the extralights got less flats. I will probably only ever get the extralights moving forward. I will also add that as far as tubless goes, the extralights are the better bet. The gumwalls started to seep on me a little bit after a few sealant changes.

dmurphey
12-03-2018, 09:31 PM
I did run BabyShoePass's tubeless as well as the Cannondale/Panaracer 650-42's. I had a tread cut on Panaracers and a couple sidewall punctures on BSP's that would not seal with Stan's sealant. I like the tubeless concept, but my experience w tubes is better longevity. Taking off the tubeless tires, they have a thick coating of goo that likely weighs as much as a tube. I am back to tubes now, but open to ideas.

559Rando
12-05-2018, 11:43 PM
There's a big difference between Pari Motos and even the extra light Compass tires. The Pari Motos have a much thinner tread and are much more flat prone. I had 3 flats in 2 weeks on Pari Motos. None in 5 months on Babyshoe Pass EL's.

Are you talking bout the original "Pacenti" Pari Motos (made by Panaracer) or the newer "Panaracer" Pari Motos (labelled Panaracer)? The latter is more robust!

To the OP: how bout Hetres? (ducking)

owly
12-06-2018, 04:39 PM
Volummy 1.75" (44mm+?)

Weight is 590gm though :eek: