PDA

View Full Version : OT - Nespresso?

oldguy00
07-29-2017, 07:43 AM
OK, my wife wants one of these. We are visiting her folks, and they have a Vertuoline machine. I have to admit, the coffee isn't that bad.
I've been a 'coffee snob' in the past, have owned a Rocket Giotto, etc., but after a while, convenience rules. That, and I've realized that I still like dunken donuts / tims coffee... :)

SO, can someone please tell me the diff between the vertuoline and originaline?
I've read online, and as best I can tell, Originaline doesn't actually make a full size cup of coffee, just espresso and lungo. One uses pressure, one uses centrifuge.
And the vertuoline pods are more expensive...Is that correct? Am I missing anything?
I like espresso, but we are really only interested in regular coffee.

Thx!

Mr. Pink
07-29-2017, 10:17 AM
Way way too expensive. Over a buck a hit, and, with a good pound of beans in the twelve dollar range these days, which gives you lord knows how many equivilant "shots" of espresso or coffee, you do the math. And, if your ecologically conscious, much much more plastic waste. Good quality coffee and espresso though. Perfect for the corporate lunch room if somebody else is paying.

I found a good solution this winter for travel, since I have an espresso machine at home. A single portion French press. I'm not sure why, but makes an excellent large mug of coffee, better than a larger press. Much cheaper, but, fragile - glass. Keep it wrapped up well. Minimal cleanup. Bed Bath and Beyond sells them.

LJohnny
07-29-2017, 10:58 AM
Agree with Mr. Pink, it's expensive. Now, I don't do *bucks, but may not be too far off?
Having said that, in terms of convenience, quality of the end product, time from "wanting a coffee," to having it in your cup, no mess, and lets say compared to K cups, no comparison actually. I would never call nespresso a true espresso, that is the punch line. Is the drink OK? oh, yes, it it's good, taking into account all the convenience I mentioned above.
I got my first machine as a wedding gift in 2002 (D150) and have been a user since.

-I have tried the off brand capsules, most of them are crap. Check singleservecoffee forum for reviews and opinions. There are a few brands that are OK and supposedly, one from UK that is better than Nespresso capsules, but pricier, hah!
-Regarding vertuo, never considered changing to this line, mostly because I have the regular machines. I have sampled the coffee and it's fine, but nothing enough to make me change. For the vertuo line, only Nespresso as a source of capsules.
-I have the original line D150, a Citiz and the smallest Essenza Mini. The end product is the same, so if you go for the traditional line, choose a machine based on size, features, since they all make the same quality drink.

For reference, I have never had a real espresso machine, I have had several coffee extraction methods to try: Technivorm, top pourer, Mocha vacuum, array of french presses and aeropress.

adub
07-29-2017, 11:52 AM
Buy a moka pot and don't look back.

All of these pod brewers are a great way to create a bunch of excess crap for the landfill- pod packaging and machines that will crap out.

Bentley
07-29-2017, 12:14 PM
I'll try and answer the question, but first get by the cost of a buck a cup.

The difference between the original line and Vertuoline or for that matter Evolou is that the original only makes espresso.

I got hooked on the original because of the good coffee and the convienience.

Nespresso purchases the top 1% of coffee produced and by controlling distribution they control the freshness, at least that is the hype.

I like the coffee, the convienence, not so much the price

Ray

Bentley
07-29-2017, 12:16 PM
Buy a moka pot and don't look back.

All of these pod brewers are a great way to create a bunch of excess crap for the landfill- pod packaging and machines that will crap out.

Since you know the business model so well, Nespresso provides postage paid bags to recycle the pods. Unlike the other brand that really does add the the landfill. Thought you should know that before you make those statements.

Ray

tiretrax
07-29-2017, 02:10 PM
Since you know the business model so well, Nespresso provides postage paid bags to recycle the pods. Unlike the other brand that really does add the the landfill. Thought you should know that before you make those statements.

Ray
Even if they take them back, there's still a lot of wasted energy in that loop. I wonder if they taste so good because of flavoring. Still can't beat a shot you pulled yourself.

Idris Icabod
07-29-2017, 04:46 PM

Ray

Do they recycle the old pods in to new pods?

I ask because we had some type of coffee machine at our work that used a small plastic sachet that blew out the bottom and filtered through a mesh. We recycled the spent sachets back to the company. Turns out they pressed the sachets into a cover for notebooks and sent them back to us. So we ended up with a few hundred essentially useless notebooks clad with branded coffee sachets, couldn't even get local schools interested in them. Seemed to me like a huge waste of shipping, time and paper just to claim the pods were recycled.

We use a machine now that makes no waste. The coffee it brews does however taste like it has been recycled from our waterless urinals.

Bentley
07-29-2017, 04:55 PM
Do they recycle the old pods in to new pods?

I ask because we had some type of coffee machine at our work that used a small plastic sachet that blew out the bottom and filtered through a mesh. We recycled the spent sachets back to the company. Turns out they pressed the sachets into a cover for notebooks and sent them back to us. So we ended up with a few hundred essentially useless notebooks clad with branded coffee sachets, couldn't even get local schools interested in them. Seemed to me like a huge waste of shipping, time and paper just to claim the pods were recycled.

We use a machine now that makes no waste. The coffee it brews does however taste like it has been recycled from our waterless urinals.

My understanding is the separate the grounds from the aluminum and they recycle the aluminum (I'm sure a third party) and grounds are composted.

They are a Swiss company, I'm sure they go about this the right way

saab2000
07-29-2017, 04:55 PM
I have a Nespresso. It is excellent. I use the Originaline machine and the capsules are about $.75 for a cup. It is vastly superior to a Keurig machine.

You can bring in used capsules to the stores for recycling or store them in bags they provide to be shipped to Nespresso for recycling.

They are aluminum, not plastic.

I will admit I use one purely for the convenience factor. It's incredibly easy to have a great (small) cup of coffee first thing in the morning in literally about a minute. Normally I'll have one, or maybe two of these and that's it.

This is the machine I have. Don't be fooled by the branding. It's not a Kitchenaid (not that there's anything wrong with Kitchenaid) but it is a real Nespresso machine that is marketed with Kitchenaid to have a design that is coherent across Kitchenaid's brand. The innards are pure Nespresso.

http://www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/5KES0503BFP-KitchenAid-Artisan-Nespresso-Maker-Frosted-Pearl-3.jpg

oldguy00
07-29-2017, 05:04 PM
I have a Nespresso. It is excellent. I use the Originaline machine and the capsules are about $.75 for a cup. It is vastly superior to a Keurig machine.

You can bring in used capsules to the stores for recycling or store them in bags they provide to be shipped to Nespresso for recycling.

They are aluminum, not plastic.

I will admit I use one purely for the convenience factor. It's incredibly easy to have a great (small) cup of coffee first thing in the morning in literally about a minute. Normally I'll have one, or maybe two of these and that's it.

This is the machine I have. Don't be fooled by the branding. It's not a Kitchenaid (not that there's anything wrong with Kitchenaid) but it is a real Nespresso machine that is marketed with Kitchenaid to have a design that is coherent across Kitchenaid's brand. The innards are pure Nespresso.

http://www.hartsofstur.com/acatalog/5KES0503BFP-KitchenAid-Artisan-Nespresso-Maker-Frosted-Pearl-3.jpg

Saab,

Just to be clear though, the coffee you make with it, it is about half the volume of a typical 'cup' of coffee? I guess what they call a lungo?? Or do you then add water to make an americano?

LJohnny
07-29-2017, 05:05 PM
Yes nespresso is branding machines for Breville, kitchen aid, and one more that I can't remember...

I like the nespresso system as well. The time it would take me to optimize a real espresso, is time that I don't have. I appreciate the art, it is just not the best time investment for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LJohnny
07-29-2017, 05:08 PM
Saab,

Just to be clear though, the coffee you make with it, it is about half the volume of a typical 'cup' of coffee? I guess what they call a lungo?? Or do you then add water to make an americano?

Not Saab, but for most nespresso machines, you can adjust the volume of the "shots." I think the very entry level a few years ago had a set volume. However I recently got the Essenza Mini and that has customizable volume. I got that for travel :)

OtayBW
07-29-2017, 05:40 PM
They are a Swiss company, I'm sure they go about this the right wayIt's Nestle, out of Vevey (~near Geneva). I have lived in Switzerland and appreciate the Swiss engineering and cultural/socioenvironmental ethic very much, but Nestle is not without controversy.

saab2000
07-29-2017, 07:13 PM
Saab,

It is probably about half the volume of a typical American cup of coffee. I use Nespresso cups and they fill up quite nicely. I have it set to maximum volume. It's not an espresso cup but not a full size coffee cup either. I do not add any water or cream or sugar. I don't know if they add flavorings but I have tried some of their flavored coffees during the holiday seasons and they're not for me. I prefer natural flavors, if such a thing exists.

I consume it the way it comes out of the machine on a full setting. I have a drawer full of different colored capsules and mix them up blindly each time I reach my hand in. It's a different cup each time!

For those curious folks who might live in a larger city, there's probably a Nespresso shop nearby. I bought my machine in the Washington DC area at Tyson's Corner a couple years ago during a so-called "Black Friday" sale. I got 40% off the machine and it was about $250 or so and I bought a bunch of capsules too. I'm pretty attentive to washing it and there's still mineral buildup in the plastic water tank. It probably needs a decalcifying cleansing at some point.

I like the finished product and no, it's not a typical American-sized cup of brownish, coffee flavored water. :rolleyes:

huck*this
07-29-2017, 07:28 PM
I haven't tried a Nespreso machine but can't see how a good shot can be pulled from a POD. Does the coffee get hot enough? I had a thermoblock espresso machine with a pressure portafilter basket, Breville machine. It pulled a good looking shot every time but after switching to a dual boiler its night and day.

Kind of like the K cup machines. They make horrid coffee unless you are the type that drowns the coffee in flavored creamers and sugar. I would just think Nespreso is just the same.

Iansir
07-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Bought one about 3 years ago while wife was pregnant with first kid. We used that as an excuse that we needed fast and convenient. Turns out I love it - I only use it on weekends but it sold me on fast, easy, consistent, and good quality. Pods aren't cheap but certainly cheaper than going out for coffee. Some day I will go back to a real machine but with craziness of life with young kids now this is a great fit. I will add that everyone in my family is now an espresso convert...

We tried some off brand pods and they have all been garbage. Stick to the branded ones, recycle back to the store.

LJohnny
07-29-2017, 08:17 PM
I haven't tried a Nespreso machine but can't see how a good shot can be pulled from a POD. Does the coffee get hot enough? I had a thermoblock espresso machine with a pressure portafilter basket, Breville machine. It pulled a good looking shot every time but after switching to a dual boiler its night and day.

Kind of like the K cup machines. They make horrid coffee unless you are the type that drowns the coffee in flavored creamers and sugar. I would just think Nespreso is just the same.

If you have a nespresso store, Macy's, Williams and Sonoma, or sur la table near, stop by and try them, for sure nothing like kcups.

(Edit): also, I am not claiming this is a espresso shot by any means, read my initial post in the thread. But it is a good coffee drink that's convenient, not messy and aluminum pods are recyclable.

rwsaunders
07-29-2017, 08:34 PM
I've stayed in hotels that had Nespresso machines in the rooms and I thought that the coffee was pretty good.

jruhlen1980
07-29-2017, 10:46 PM
Received one as a gift. It's something I never would've bought because of the waste and the expense, but I have to admit it makes pretty good coffee and it's convenient.

For my every day coffee I make a big pot of french press, but every once in a while if I need a little extra boost it's nice to be able to make something awfully close to espresso in a matter of seconds.

I got tired of ordering coffee and it sat unused for a couple of years, but then a friend gave us a bunch of knock-off pods from a company called HiLine and they do the job.

Also I don't think comparing it to Keurig is really fair. I've suffered through the weak, vaguely coffee-flavored swill that is Keurig at a few offices I've worked at. It's like comparing a Specialized (quality bike but too common to turn your head) to a rusty tricycle that someone replaced the saddle with a razor blade.

crownjewelwl
07-30-2017, 05:15 AM
I have both machines. Both make great shots of espresso with convenience and ease. Pulling a shot manually is a real pain.

The lungo is a slightly diluted shot with more volume. The vertuo makes "regular" coffee but it comes out with a thick foam.

I will use for "regular" coffee in a pinch but otherwise use an aeropress.

Polyglot
07-30-2017, 05:25 AM
I translated some of their original documents/instructions into English, so it must be great;)

saab2000
07-30-2017, 06:22 AM
I hope the folks who complain about mediocre Nespreaso coffee aren't riding Coninental Gatorskins. :rolleyes:

csm
07-30-2017, 07:06 AM
I hope the folks who complain about mediocre Nespreaso coffee aren't riding Coninental Gatorskins. :rolleyes:

Lol. Thankfully I'd already finished my K-cup and didn't spit it on my iPad!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

livingminimal
07-30-2017, 07:45 AM
I've been a 'coffee snob' in the past, have owned a Rocket Giotto, etc., but after a while, convenience rules. That, and I've realized that I still like dunken donuts / tims coffee... :)

I can enjoy lots of different coffee depending on the circumstances. Hell, I had a starbucks drip last week that wasn't THAT bad...

but how do you use "owned" in the past tense on a Giotto?

I'll be buried with my Rocket.

ripvanrando
07-30-2017, 08:24 AM
Nespresso sounds inexpensive compared to my addiction. I've had the Nespresso, it is ok.

24 double espressos per pound that I grind and pull in gear that could have bought some nice bikes. I guess my consumable costs are around $0.60 cup sans milk.

I tend to lump stuff like Charbucks and Gatorskinz into the same category, they have their time and place. Goatheads? Need caffeine and have not slept in days?

93legendti
07-30-2017, 10:15 AM
Our Delonghi espresso machine died after a glorious 13 yr run.

Thinking about a Nespresso machine. Is there a Paceline consensus on which model to buy?

Idris Icabod
07-30-2017, 04:41 PM

Wait until it needs to be repaired!!! Mine sh1t the bed a while ago and cost almost $900 (including shipping to send to the closest repair center). I was tempted to trash it and get a new one.

Pierre
07-30-2017, 05:37 PM
Price per unit is retarded and the amount of plastic wasted is unacceptable. If you don't mind paying a premium per cup and don't mind bringing all the capsules to the store they have explained to me that they are able to send them off for proper recycling. I'm sure I'm still skeptical. I've used an espresso machine now for over a decade but recently caved and bought a nespresso frother - the new one that has different settings and can be put in the dishwasher. This gives me my cake and I can eat it too: good quality shots, no plastic consumed and milk frother fast. I'm a happy camper.

Bentley
07-30-2017, 06:25 PM
Our Delonghi espresso machine died after a glorious 13 yr run.

Thinking about a Nespresso machine. Is there a Paceline consensus on which model to buy?

If your doing just espresso, then any of the original machines do a satisfactory job. If you want regular coffee as well, I'd do an Evolou. You can generally get them for 40℅ or more off so just watch for sales.

Ray

saab2000
07-30-2017, 06:32 PM
Price per unit is retarded and the amount of plastic wasted is unacceptable. If you don't mind paying a premium per cup and don't mind bringing all the capsules to the store they have explained to me that they are able to send them off for proper recycling. I'm sure I'm still skeptical. I've used an espresso machine now for over a decade but recently caved and bought a nespresso frother - the new one that has different settings and can be put in the dishwasher. This gives me my cake and I can eat it too: good quality shots, no plastic consumed and milk frother fast. I'm a happy camper.

FWIW, Nespresso capsules are aluminum, not plastic. Also, they will give you collection bags for the capsules to send to them for recycling or you can bring them for dropoff at a store.

oldguy00
07-30-2017, 07:43 PM
I can enjoy lots of different coffee depending on the circumstances. Hell, I had a starbucks drip last week that wasn't THAT bad...

I -really- loved the machine, but I think a big part of that love was the process. I realized that when it came to actually -drinking- coffee/espresso, I was just as happy having some plain drip. I couldn't really justify $3k worth of coffee making gear, the upkeep, etc etc. I also tried ordering various high quality, fresh, espresso beans from highly recommended roasters, and truth is, I couldn't tell much diff. The shots looked great, but I guess my palate couldn't really discern the subtle tastes that others can.

I have at times contemplated getting back into it, start watching youtube videos again of the machines, but then come to my senses.. :)

Oh, and I also agree that you can't compare nespresso to keurig. I too have had my fair share of keurig coffee, and it is disgusting. Not sure why it is so bad compared to nespresso.

I do like the foam/crema the vertuoline creates on top of the coffee. Some local stores have the vertuoline machine bundles (brewer + frother) on sale for about 179 Can...

93legendti
07-30-2017, 08:05 PM
If your doing just espresso, then any of the original machines do a satisfactory job. If you want regular coffee as well, I'd do an Evolou. You can generally get them for 40℅ or more off so just watch for sales.

Ray
Thanks for the info!

livingminimal
07-30-2017, 09:02 PM
Wait until it needs to be repaired!!! Mine sh1t the bed a while ago and cost almost $900 (including shipping to send to the closest repair center). I was tempted to trash it and get a new one.

Thinks can always go wrong and no company has a 100% perfect track record, but Rocket's is pretty damn good...Ive heard of very, very, very few issues, especially if you're using it with care, backflushing regularly, etc.

rwerkudara
07-31-2017, 02:10 AM
I recently discovered that the capsules are cheaper in Europe (in Paris €3.50 a sleeve). I definitely stocked up on quite a bit before I returned to the US.

AngryScientist
07-31-2017, 07:35 AM
i too have had nespresso from hotel rooms and think the coffee it makes is pretty good.

i drink a lot of coffee, and enjoy a good cup, but the convenience factor most of the time wins out. the truth is that i do drink a decent amount of keurig coffee and think some of the stuff is passable. the office coffee is keurig stocked, so the convenience (and cost) of just grabbing a few cups in the office per day is there.

of course, in NYC, there are any number of places that i can walk to on the way to my office that have pretty amazingly good coffee. then, of course, once in the coffee shop in the morning, you cant pass up the breakfast pastries, and its a slippery slope of dollars and calories adding up.

ha.

Tony T
07-31-2017, 07:46 AM
SO, can someone please tell me the diff between the vertuoline and originaline?
I've read online, and as best I can tell, Originaline doesn't actually make a full size cup of coffee, just espresso and lungo. One uses pressure, one uses centrifuge.
And the vertuoline pods are more expensive...Is that correct? Am I missing anything?
I like espresso, but we are really only interested in regular coffee.

Thx!

Correct, only espresso with Originaline, Coffee and Espresso with Vertuoline
The newest Vertuoline is the VERTUOPLUS.

adub
07-31-2017, 09:03 AM

Ray

Ya this makes total sense..:rolleyes: