PDA

View Full Version : Help with lighting system...

SoCalSteve
09-03-2006, 09:25 PM
So, I have decided to continue commuting through the Fall and maybe into Winter and I am looking for a high end lighting system for my Seven road bike. It will be replacing a NiteRider system that at the time was truly high end.

I'd like it to have everything my Niterider system had and more (if possible). Niterider doesnt seem to make anything even similar to this product anymore.

The NiteRider still works, but it is spotty at getting the system to recharge the battery. It needs to be replaced.

OK,in a perfect world this is what I would want:

Water bottle battery

2 lights with a remote control to be able to make them flash and use one or both lights simaltaneously or one very intense light that can be manipulated (intensity).

A red tailight that works off of the same system and can be controlled by the remote

A smart charging system

I think that is all.

Please direct me to what I am looking for.

Thank you all in advance,

Steve

manet
09-03-2006, 09:38 PM
http://www.dinottelighting.com/index.html

Erik.Lazdins
09-03-2006, 09:41 PM
Battery technology has evolved from the water bottle mount. Though its still offered, you will find fewer lights having water bottle batteries and more offering the small (frame mount or jersey pocket w/helmet light) The old Nicad watter bottle battery has shrunk in size with Nickel Metal Hydride or Lithium Ion batteries giving more power reserves in a smaller package.

At this moment Nite Rider still owns the "bright as day taillight" mkt. however a similar integrated system will be available from L&M soon.

Having looked at all lights under $450, L&M is the best choice. They are more reliable and their ownership of their product is simply unmatched.

With regard to your lighting features - any HID light cannot shut off and on repeatedly. LED lights will be the future, however that is still about 3-5 years off.

In 5 years we won't be riding with HID, it will be LED.

Good luck with your search for light!

Ginger
09-03-2006, 10:18 PM
I LOVE my Light and Motion Arc Li-on Ultra HID...Lights up the world, challenges car's high beams, and in general keeps me happy happy on my commute. No integrated tail light though and only one light, no flashing...
http://www.bikelights.com/Products/arc_liion_ultra.htm

They have a sweet little LED light that is quite bright that flashes or is steady on, excellent run time too. http://www.bikelights.com/Products/vega.htm

I really REALLY like the diNotte style and lights, however the battery run time sucks (only my opinion of course). That was the real decision maker there...battery run time. Doesn't matter how sexy a light is if it's dark.

manet
09-03-2006, 10:29 PM
http://www.dinottelighting.com/index.html

but dude, you own and ride a light and motion helmet mount

Ginger
09-03-2006, 10:34 PM
but dude, you own and ride a light and motion helmet mount

The antithesis of sexy. But always very bright. Long run time. I'm sure you're happy with it.

I stood at the DiNotte booth at Interbike for a long long time fondling those lights of theirs. I really really wanted them to have a longer run time on their batteries. Maybe a bit brighter light. Their tail light is excellent though...(yes, Ginger was fondling hard goods in public...)

Nightrider is coasting...their reps have told me that they're coming out with something "new" for two years now but I keep seeing the same old same old.

You may want to check out TurboCat... http://www.turbocatusa.com/ I haven't seen any of their goods in a while, but they used to be nice lights.

SoCalSteve
09-03-2006, 11:21 PM
Wow! What a great lesson I have learned tonight!!!

I am gonna trash my Niterider system (was thinking about replacing the battery (at a cost of $175.00) but for a bit more I can get smaller, lighter and brighter.

Thank you all for your great input. I have to do some more homework, but it's looking like its gonna be the Dinotte system. I dont need really long run times and small and bright is very appealing. My commute is about 25 minutes each way.

I'm still looking though and any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,

Steve

Ginger
09-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Actually, paging through DiNotte's web site it looks like they now have a "build" type system where you can add lights rather than buy a new system. Cool.

Give us a ride report when you finally pick out your system!

Good luck
Ginger

BdaGhisallo
09-04-2006, 05:39 AM
Check out Lupine lights at www.lupine.de

They are the ulitmate - though they do come with the ultimate price tag! I have an edison 5 and it is REALLY bright on low power! I have seen many an opposing driver shielding their eyes!

Very light, very reliable and tunable. You can program your own lighting levels if you want to get really finicky and determine how many settings you have.

billrick
09-04-2006, 08:12 AM
I stood at the DiNotte booth at Interbike for a long long time fondling those lights of theirs. I really really wanted them to have a longer run time on their batteries. Maybe a bit brighter light. Their tail light is excellent though...(yes, Ginger was fondling hard goods in public...)

I might note that Dinotte appears to be very conservative with their estimated run times.

I am using a new Ultra 3, a 3-watt LED helmet mount with built-in red tail light. Dinotte advertises it as running 4 hours. I decided to test it before taking it on the road, and with fresh batteries, the thing cranked out light for 5.5 hours on low without significant dimming. And I should mention I turned it off at 5.5 hours, it would have run longer!

The Dinotte 3 has a nice spot, with a pleasant blue-white color to it. The low setting is close to the high, and is plenty good for the streets and trails around here. I bought it as a back up for a dyno hub, but turns out this will be my main commuter light. Really good stuff.

:)

SoCalSteve
09-04-2006, 07:56 PM

They are the ulitmate - though they do come with the ultimate price tag! I have an edison 5 and it is REALLY bright on low power! I have seen many an opposing driver shielding their eyes!

Very light, very reliable and tunable. You can program your own lighting levels if you want to get really finicky and determine how many settings you have.

Ultimate price tage is right!!!

Wow! And only one place in the USA that sells their product.

I have bought nice bike frames for less than their EDISON systems.

Thanks for the link..I think I will stick to the Dinotte system as you can buy direct, they have decent prices and people seem to be very happy with their products.

Thanks again to everyone for a really big eye opening education. The world of bike lighting has come a long way since the last time I bought a system.

Steve

Ginger
09-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Steve,
You could use this as an excuse to go to Interbike...comparison shopping and all that.

obtuse
09-04-2006, 09:29 PM

what the man with the handsome shorts and the straw hat said*.

lupine is crazy bright, crazy light, crazy expensive and the best.

obtuse

*he's from bermuda; its an educated guess.

SoCalSteve
09-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Steve,
You could use this as an excuse to go to Interbike...comparison shopping and all that.

Am I not mistaken, or dont you have to be in the bike "industy" to go to InterBike? I am as far removed from the bike industry as they come (unless you want to include me spending lots of $$$ on bikes).

Please enlighten me,

Steve

sg8357
09-04-2006, 10:30 PM
De Re, Nite Rider batteries, NR uses batteries as a margin multiplier.
Try Batteries Plus, they can rebuild your pack for a lot less.
NR optics put a large portion of their light in places other than the road.
L&M does a better job of lighting up the road vs. the trees.

Or you can reject Eco-Wastrelism and build a SON dyno system,
runtime infinite, PBP rated. B&M primary light, Schmidt E6 secondary.
The tightly focused E6 makes a good hi beam, the B&M has some light
spill, good for the primary.
Get a 1 watt led cateye as standlight and backup for fixing flats.

I replaced a 10w Nite Rider with a pair of B&M lights, 3w each.
If the Nite Rider is a B grade light, the dual 3w are an A.
The 15w Nite Rider is only a bit better than the 10w, a B+.

Scott G.

DavidK
09-05-2006, 12:47 AM
http://www.lumicycle.com/pages/default.aspx

I ride with one of their Halide lamps ( http://www.lumicycle.com/Product/Productlist.aspx?page=1&dep=48 ).

It's like daylight up ahead, and everyone stares. But it's perfect, even in the dead of winter, in darkness, I can floor it and everyone sees me whizzing around the streets or suburbs of London.

For me, the light has to do two things. 1) Show others where I am and speed & direction I'm moving. 2) Light up the road far enough to see obstacles and take avoidance actions.

The 6' halide lights about 25m to 40m in front of me in a tight beam, and then spills over a wider area so that I know I can be seen.

The battery lasts about 5 or 6 hours, enough time to commute back and forth, and do it another day if I forget to charge.

I'd very strongly recommend this lamp if you're in the UK. If there's an equivalent one in your country, go for that.

Oh, it looks good too:
http://www.lumicycle.com/cmsimages/Halide%20Units/redsm.jpg

jpw
09-05-2006, 02:12 AM
I have the Lupine Edison 10 model. The state of the art. Very expensive. Very robust.

Looking at the Lumicycle picture provided by DK I cringe at that mounting bracket design. The Lupine 'bracket' is absolutely hands down the best mounting design...ever. Once experienced you would never want anything else - do believe me.

I would respectfully suggest you forget the idea of an integrated rear light - another NR marketing gimmick. Do Niterider still talk about their tail light being visible from one/ two miles back? And 'so' (?) you might ask. What matters is the 200/300 yard collision range. Every good stand alone red light can put out enough light to cover that requirement and battery drain isn't really an issue.

Bottle battery style is better, but Lupine also do frame mounted pouches and their batteries will fit inside both.

Happy choosing, and be safe out there.

Andreu
09-05-2006, 02:22 AM
http://www.lumicycle.com/
I'd second these guys - used them on chain gangs in grim conditions all over Europe and they work.

DavidK
09-05-2006, 04:14 AM
Found another mention of Lumicycle on the London Dynamo forum that I thought I'd share:
http://www.londondynamo.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11

I'm in a double century in a little over two weeks time, as kick off is at dawn, and there's about 11000ft of climbing, my chances of getting done before it gets dark are (unlike me) a little slim.

Also, the route is out away from general civilisation, so my pair of cateye 400's probably wont give me much reassurance and am looking to upgrade my front light options, does anyone have any experience of the USE Race / Enduro lights, I've seen mixed reviews but am still quite tempted by the low weight / size as opposed to the big mtb carry a car-battery type lights available.

Be interested to hear suggestions for more 'roadie' lights, there'll be downhill patches where I could easily get +30mph and the bigger the reach of light the better.

Lumicycle. They're the best I've ever had and any issues are sorted out by return post plus they're always enthusuastics and helpful.

Went with the lumicycle option, thanks for recommendation.

Must say, descending 2000ft with the whole road lit up like daylight gives you the confidence to fully let go of the brakes, topped 40mph and passed around a dozen other cyclists whose lights restricted them to around the 20mph mark.

Big thumbs up, and if lumicycle's website is still problematic, just be patient / call them. They're worth it.

Lupine were also recommended in the thread, but that he felt confident doing 40mph on a long dark descent gives you an idea of how the Lumicycle lamps fare.