PDA

View Full Version : OT - you thought you had a bad day

oliver1850
07-28-2017, 06:14 PM
At least you still have your bike.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/ferrari-430-scuderia-destroyed-1-hour-after-purchase/ar-AAoYz0p?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Seramount
07-28-2017, 06:39 PM
not exactly sure what emotion we're supposed to experience regarding this event.

yeah, sucks to crash your ride, not matter how long you've had it or what it's worth...

I wadded up a '68 SS 396 Camaro bitd, still have nightmares about it.

AngryScientist
07-28-2017, 06:40 PM
hope he had "new care replacement" coverage.

haha.

oliver1850
07-28-2017, 07:03 PM
not exactly sure what emotion we're supposed to experience regarding this event.

yeah, sucks to crash your ride, not matter how long you've had it or what it's worth...

I wadded up a '68 SS 396 Camaro bitd, still have nightmares about it.

That would be tough to deal with, maybe worse now considering present value.

My first thought when I saw the headline and pic was along the lines of "mo-ron with more money than driving experience....". After reading that it happened in the wet at normal speed I feel bad for the rich bas... I mean chap.

ColonelJLloyd
07-28-2017, 07:19 PM
First world problems. It was insured.

Llewellyn
07-28-2017, 07:22 PM
It's probably bumped up the resale value of the remaining 498.

seanile
07-28-2017, 07:43 PM
high torque, rear wheel drive, lightweight, rain.
duh.

ultraman6970
07-28-2017, 07:47 PM
At least you know the car is safe.

rnhood
07-28-2017, 07:50 PM
That is a relatively cheap Ferrari. Doesn't handle as well as the better ones.

Tickdoc
07-28-2017, 07:57 PM
Ouch. Got a black one like that just down the road from me....makes a delicious sound when it roars by....and it hasn't burnt up yet!

rounder
07-28-2017, 10:12 PM
That sort of reminded me of the old Road & Track picture of the guy smoking a cigarette on the side of the road looking at his Ferrari that had crashed into a tree with the comment...Good tires, but certainly not great tires.

Steve in SLO
07-28-2017, 10:51 PM
That sort of reminded me of the old Road & Track picture of the guy smoking a cigarette on the side of the road looking at his Ferrari that had crashed into a tree with the comment...Good tires, but certainly not great tires.
One of the great ones by the incomparable Peter Egan

Louis
07-28-2017, 11:46 PM
First world problems. It was insured.

But did he have "first accident forgiveness?"

oliver1850
07-29-2017, 12:48 AM
Ken, thanks for remembering that R&T page. I have stack of 15-50 year old back issues that's about 6' tall. Every once in a while I'll dig out a year's worth to jog the memory bank of cars not seen in decades, and to read Rob Walker's F1 race reports.

Always enjoyed Egan's work. Lots of memorable writing. One of his articles was a lament about the closure of a bridge near his house, and the inability of local government to fund projects that had seemingly been done routinely in the past. Struck a chord with me as there are several local roads that once were through roads and are now dead ends due to bridge issues. One year on the way up to Road America I decided to see if I could find the bridge, based on what I'd read about the location in his columns. Took quite a bit of work to locate it in pre-internet days, but I eventually figured out where it was. Cool girder bridge like the ones that used to cross the local canal, a few of which have been preserved, which is what Egan had in mind for the one in question. There was a bridge south of our farm that my dad used to make us kids walk across when he drove the truck over it. I would have had no problem driving across Egan's bridge as it would have saved me some miles, but it was well barricaded. Once turned around and headed back the way I came, I see a guy standing in a driveway that looked familiar. Sure enough, Peter Egan. I pulled into the driveway and told him I'd been down to look at the bridge because of his R&T article, and that I was on the way to Elkhart Lake for the CART race. That was 25 years ago. I wonder if it's a dead end road today, or if the bridge has been replaced.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/on-wisconsin-rusty-span-is-a-bridge-to-history/article_fb01681a-530f-11e0-852b-001cc4c03286.html

rounder
07-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Good story. Thanks.

rounder
08-03-2017, 08:28 PM
One of the great ones by the incomparable Peter Egan

Steve, I know it's kind of late but thanks for posting the pic. Long time R&T subscriber and that was one of my favorite pictures. Agree that Peter Egan was/is great.