PDA

View Full Version : I don't speak SRAM. 10-spd cross pollination?

auto_rock
07-28-2017, 11:23 AM
So I have a red 10 group that came on an impulse buy. My road gear is all Campy.

I had an idea though to build a 2x10 monstercross with a road compact front and a MTB 10sp rear, and finally use these Paul Klamperzz I've had tucked away.

I believe all Sram (incl. the 9 speed MTB) is "exact actuation" 1:1 pull, but I wanted to double-check with the local experts. Are there limitations I havent thought of that I should be wary of?

jtbadge
07-28-2017, 11:26 AM
With SRAM, you should be able to use a 10 speed MTB rear with a 10 speed road shifter. I know a lot of cross racers were using 10 speed X9 clutch derailleurs before CX1 came out.

oldpotatoe
07-28-2017, 11:45 AM
So I have a red 10 group that came on an impulse buy. My road gear is all Campy.

I had an idea though to build a 2x10 monstercross with a road compact front and a MTB 10sp rear, and finally use these Paul Klamperzz I've had tucked away.

I believe all Sram (incl. the 9 speed MTB) is "exact actuation" 1:1 pull, but I wanted to double-check with the local experts. Are there limitations I havent thought of that I should be wary of?
10s road sram talks to 10s sram MTB rear ders, unlike shimano, which doesn't. Sram road shifters doesn't talk to sram 9s MTB rear ders.
10s shimano road talks to shimano 9s MTB rear ders but not 10s.

Confused yet?.

auto_rock
07-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Oh good. So it IS confusing.

ColonelJLloyd
07-28-2017, 12:44 PM
Oh good. So it IS confusing.

No. Like you thought, Exact Actuation is Exact Actuation is Exact Actuation. And you can mix 10s and 11s without issue.

For example, I am using 11s Red shifters to shift 10s XX mechs on a 10s crank with 11s chain over an 11s cogset. Not an issue.

auto_rock
07-28-2017, 02:31 PM
But 9sp is different? Only asking because I HAVE a 9sp X0 already.

ColonelJLloyd
07-28-2017, 02:44 PM

I don't know; never used one. If it's Exact Actuation it'll work.

oliver1850
07-28-2017, 04:03 PM
The 9 speed RDs I have say "1:1 Actuation Ratio" on the cage and will not work with 10 speed. The 10 speeds say "Exact Actuation".

xvxax
07-29-2017, 07:40 AM
this table is super handy to check compatibility. I've used it for CX builds to use clutch derailleurs with shifters i already have handy

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

oldpotatoe
07-29-2017, 07:47 AM

Yes, sram 9s MTB rear ders(no 9s road rear ders) will not work with sram 10s shifters, road or MTB.

DavidC
07-29-2017, 02:54 PM
If this is helpful to anyone: I have on my cx bike Rival 10-speed shifters and a X9 10-speed rear derailleur and a X0 10-speed front derailleur. All works fine.

I have a XX 10-speed crankset, and found a Force front derailleur would NOT work. Obviously the force FD and rival shifters were compatible, but the road FD couldn't handle the MTB crankset. So I got the X0 FD since it could certainly handle the MTB XX crankset.

Point of all this is crankset needs to be part of your equation too.

mecse
07-29-2017, 03:34 PM

Sram lists the "exact actuation" on a lot of derailleurs / shifters. Mixing them works!

I have an elephant NFE that is running 11 speed, with an 11 speed shifter, cassette and a 10 speed GX clutch . It works seamlessly.

carpediemracing
07-30-2017, 06:03 AM

If you have an extra set of Campy shifters around you should be able to use Campy 10s levers with SRAM 10s der/cassette. Just clamp the cable on the wrong side of the anchor bolt. Shouldn't require anything else, you can use the rest of your SRAM group.

I tested this on my bike because I was trying to get away from the expensive Campy cassettes. It worked well for my short test sessions. Due to other reasons I never made the change so I don't have a lot of time on such a set up.

ColonelJLloyd
07-30-2017, 08:51 AM
^ My buddy runs C10 shifters to SRAM 10 everything else with the recommended Shiftmate at it's dead on.

oldpotatoe
07-30-2017, 10:04 AM
^ My buddy runs C10 shifters to SRAM 10 everything else with the recommended Shiftmate at it's dead on.

Zinn discovered Campagnolo power shift shifters(one higher gear at a time/thumb button) mated to sram 10s rear der shifts shimano 10s spacing. Don't know about 11s.

ColonelJLloyd
07-30-2017, 10:25 AM
Zinn discovered Campagnolo power shift shifters(one higher gear at a time/thumb button) mated to sram 10s rear der shifts shimano 10s spacing. Don't know about 11s.

Interesting. This is with some alternate routing?

Pretty sure my buddy is using a Shiftmate (http://www.jtekengineering.com/resources/shiftmate-compatibility/) 1 through large pulley groove. New style 10s Veloce. Doesn't make sense that it would work the same with or without the Shiftmate which is changing the pull.

oldpotatoe
07-30-2017, 01:21 PM

Pretty sure my buddy is using a Shiftmate (http://www.jtekengineering.com/resources/shiftmate-compatibility/) 1 through large pulley groove. New style 10s Veloce. Doesn't make sense that it would work the same with or without the Shiftmate which is changing the pull.

No and he did it in my stand at Vecchio's. It works.
Centaur power shift 10s shifters, a sram force rear der, shimano 10s cogset and chain.

carpediemracing
07-30-2017, 09:24 PM

I tried it with the cable anchored on the wrong side of the SRAM derailleur anchor bolt. 10s Campy shifters, 10s SRAM derailleur, Shimano 10s cassette (I think I borrowed someone's wheel as I don't have one myself). No shiftmate. Worked fine. But due to time pressure, the need to get a few SRAM derailleurs, convert a bunch of wheels to Shimano/SRAM, and get matching cassettes, I didn't take the plunge so no long term report.

Related to that I have a tandem with a similar Campy 10s shifter hack but this one mated with an otherwise all Shimano 9s drivetrain (2006 Cannondale road tandem, stock drivetrain). Cable on wrong side of anchor bolt on that one as well. Long cable has some play but it seems to shift just fine. This one was ridden extensively on the road.