PDA

View Full Version : Frayed carbon steerer - Repair?

p nut
07-27-2017, 03:47 PM
I have a carbon steerer tube has a few strands that have come unraveled. What's the best way to "repair" it. Should I just take some epoxy on it, and sand it down? I believe structurally, it's ok. I would just cut it down just below that, but not enough steerer tube left.

bicycletricycle
07-27-2017, 04:10 PM
epoxy and sand paper. maybe wrap with some electrical tape while it cures to get good compression, maybe it will make too much of a mess though.

GregL
07-27-2017, 04:12 PM
Since you appear to already have an aluminum insert for support, I suggest going the J-B Weld route. Make sure the surface is clean and free of contaminants. Apply the J-B Weld and allow it to dry thoroughly. Sand smooth and enjoy the ride! BTW, at least one carbon fork manufacturer actually recommended using J-B Weld for dressing small frayed areas at the top of their steerer tubes.

Greg

p nut
07-27-2017, 04:12 PM
epoxy and sand paper. maybe wrap with some electrical tape while it cures to get good compression, maybe it will make too much of a mess though.

Good idea. Maybe some painters tape.

p nut
07-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Since you appear to already have an aluminum insert for support, I suggest going the J-B Weld route. Make sure the surface is clean and free of contaminants. Apply the J-B Weld and allow it to dry thoroughly. Sand smooth and enjoy the ride! BTW, at least one carbon fork manufacturer actually recommended using J-B Weld for dressing small frayed areas at the top of their steerer tubes.

Greg

JB Weld, the liquid duct tape. Thanks for the input.

bicycletricycle
07-27-2017, 04:29 PM
is that a desalvo? color reminds me of some I have seen.

p nut
07-27-2017, 04:44 PM
is that a desalvo? color reminds me of some I have seen.

Nothing gets by this crowd, I guess.

:D

bicycletricycle
07-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Nothing gets by this crowd, I guess.

:D

went to art school, have a photographic bicycle memory.

:)

R3awak3n
07-27-2017, 05:30 PM
that is not even that bad, I don't think its structural either.

I recently cut a steerer on a brand new fork and ****ed it up. Luckily I measured it wrong and cut it way too high lol, cut it again and did a good job this time.