PDA

View Full Version : Danielson on Danielson

J.Greene
09-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Danielson diagnosed his own problem in his diary on cyclingnews.com. I'm not sure he knew it though.

"my legs weren't tired and they were not sore during the massage, either. It was weird, it was like just one cylinder out of four was firing."

Someone should tell him American power comes from 8 cylinders not 4.

JG

ada@prorider.or
09-03-2006, 11:55 AM

JG
and that in spain?!

mtflycaster
09-03-2006, 02:19 PM
The constant excuses are wearing thin.

manet
09-03-2006, 02:23 PM

JG !

1centaur
09-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Don't know why you guys pick on Tommy D. He's only a minute down on the great Sylvester Szmyd, and only 2 (or so) down on living legend Ruggero Marzoli. With competition like that.....oh, wait a minute, I was in bizarro world.

Never mind. Please continue.

TD's biggest problem is the Lance vacuum (no, not Paris). Without the hype, he'd be a really good rider, top 20 GC material, maybe he'll get up to the realm of Leipheimer for a year or two before he retires. Think about it - the US public likes a rooting story, and TD is better than pack fill and worse than podium material, in Zubeldia's realm. Hard to know what to pay those guys and how to describe them and, for a DS, how to use them. Like Zubeldia, he may end up being a guy who gets some air time for a lesser sponsor once in a while; barring a US newbie phenom he's probably best paid as a nice guy on Disco who goes for stage wins rather than GC.

Big Dan
09-03-2006, 03:41 PM
He needs to eat more Tacos.......... :cool:

stevep
09-03-2006, 04:31 PM
danielsons got a full horsepower motor but upstairs he is missing the spark plug that makes them fire.
he will have isolated great rides. never do anything in a 3 wk tour.
cant keep the pressure on in his own head

znfdl
09-03-2006, 05:14 PM
JG

I really like my four banger with the turbo. My last 4 banger with a turbo put out 309 horse power to 4 wheels, whereas my current one is much more mild.

J.Greene
09-03-2006, 05:39 PM
barring a US newbie phenom he's probably best paid as a nice guy on Disco who goes for stage wins rather than GC.

That means he's have to be capable of winning stages.

JG

Ray
09-03-2006, 06:21 PM
The constant excuses are wearing thin.
What excuses - he basically just said he didn't have it and didn't know why. And he tried to explain what it felt like. An excuse is when you blame something outside of your control, no?

FWIW, he said he felt better today, and sounded mildy frustrated he had to play the team role, but understood why he had to.

-Ray

1centaur
09-03-2006, 06:28 PM
That means he's have to be capable of winning stages.

JG

Hey, I said GOES FOR stage wins :)

Really though, somebody who can TT pretty well and climb very well surely has the chance to win a stage here and there - many of those who have won stages at GCs are worse in both disciplines than TD. If the GC thought was gone, part of that mental block he may have, involving dosing (sorry for the reference) his efforts, may be lifted. He has to be willing to have one winning stage and then lose an hour for the rest of a tour, rather than consistently losing 2-3 minutes. Johan needs to coach him in that direction. Here's an irony - he may not have adequately established the rationality of the peloton letting him get into a breakaway that's given time; he's been too good and too consistent. His only other shot is being with the final selection on a mountain finish, and I'm still trying to figure out if he does not have that engine (vs. the top 10 climbers in the world) or if he's afraid of blowing up if he goes for it. That question should have been answered by now by a good DS. Again, I have the feeling he's more like Levi (steady but ultimately not explosive at the highest level) with a little more seasoning left to go. It will be interesting to see them on the same team - Levi presents a talent level that TD must fight to be better than.

J.Greene
09-03-2006, 07:28 PM
I didn't mean to really knock on Tommy with this thread. I was trying to underline a funny atmo. Tommy is a good pro. Compared to Vino, Bettini, Diluca, Valverde, Voight and a few others all the guys seem to be the same. So few guys seem to make the race, and close the deal. Is it in the head, engine, or both? I don't know, but Tom Danielson has come a long way. I give him credit for that. He kinda reminds me of Vaughters in a way.

JG

97CSI
09-03-2006, 07:36 PM
And, he did quite well today. Probably threw away a minute, or more, helping out his young team-mate. And, this is only the first week of three, so he may yet recover.

Frustration
09-04-2006, 04:01 PM
and that in spain?!

Actually I think it's more German than Spanish connection isn't it?

:no:

BoulderGeek
09-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I really like my four banger with the turbo. My last 4 banger with a turbo put out 309 horse power to 4 wheels, whereas my current one is much more mild.

I hope that you can feel my burning envy. Fastest car I've ever owned is my 1984 Volvo 244 Turbo. Not very fast.

Though, I did have a splendid ride on my VFR750, yesterday, under a 75 degree cryststalline Colorado sky, 5'10" blonde on the back.

Cary Ford
09-04-2006, 04:58 PM
He kinda reminds me of Vaughters in a way.

JG

How so? TD seems to have not much going on at all upstairs and doesn't show much aggression.

JV was an aggressive rider and a very bright articulate fellow...

obtuse
09-04-2006, 05:14 PM
he reminds me every minute of my intense jealousy of naturally talented cyclists who are to stupid to perform the most mindless task of pedalling a bicycle with a bit of fire.

but he loves burrittos! tom danielson is further proof that getting hit in the head with ferretti's cane does not increase ones intelligence.

obtuse

Fat Robert
09-04-2006, 05:23 PM
its the home life, man

take away his cute pro athlete squeeze, replace her with a buck-toothed, bigassed flandrian hauswench like boonen has, and he'll get the fire for the bike in a hurry

see

that's why i don't win. my wife is too hot.

J.Greene
09-04-2006, 05:42 PM
How so? TD seems to have not much going on at all upstairs and doesn't show much aggression.

JV was an aggressive rider and a very bright articulate fellow...

as a good climber who might not have it for the longer tours. JV was exactly that.

does danielson not have much going on upstairs? Do you know him, or have raced with him? I don't and never had, so I can't say. I'm trying to spend less time criticizing and more time cheering atmo.

JG

I Drink Bile
09-04-2006, 05:45 PM
as a good climber who might not have it for the longer tours. JV was exactly that.

does danielson not have much going on upstairs? Do you know him, or have raced with him? I don't and never had, so I can't say. I'm trying to spend less time criticizing and more time cheering atmo.

JG

Tommy is a pure mamma's boy.

J.Greene
09-04-2006, 06:04 PM
Tommy is a pure mamma's boy.

Sure...and riding his second grand tour of the year. These trolling remarks are lunacy atmo.

JG

I Drink Bile
09-04-2006, 06:06 PM
no trolling here, bub

jeffg
09-04-2006, 06:14 PM
he reminds me every minute of my intense jealousy of naturally talented cyclists who are to stupid to perform the most mindless task of pedalling a bicycle with a bit of fire.

but he loves burrittos! tom danielson is further proof that getting hit in the head with ferretti's cane does not increase ones intelligence.

obtuse

TD's got a job, and to quote his former boss "a good paying one at that."

Wassup now, bee-atch!

saab2000
09-04-2006, 07:03 PM
its the home life, man

take away his cute pro athlete squeeze, replace her with a buck-toothed, bigassed flandrian hauswench like boonen has, and he'll get the fire for the bike in a hurry

see

that's why i don't win. my wife is too hot.

Ooooookay?!??!? The only Flandrian chick I know is from Antwerpen and is not buck-toothed or bigassed!!

I don't know how to put it politically correctly, so I won't really try, but there is more talent in Europe than there is here. A lot more.

Oh, and Ferretti is a tool.

93legendti
09-13-2006, 12:34 PM
Yup, he sucks.

If only 3 week tours ended after stage 16...