PDA

View Full Version : Mavic goes tubeless in a big way

makoti
07-25-2017, 09:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALVtgcY1YeM

A friend just sent me this. Mavic has built up quite a few tubeless systems. Wheels paired with their tires. Looks interesting, although I'm not sure I would buy wheels that, in order to get the most out of them, limited me to one brand of tire.
I'd love to try tubeless, but what I have heard about the hassle keeps me tubed.
Video is a bit long (15min), but it was interesting.

sales guy
07-25-2017, 09:42 PM
Too bad their tires are slow as molasses
and you end up with the little strings and feathers on them like you do with all the other Hutchinson tires

yinzerniner
07-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Saw this a while ago and while the idea sounds pretty good, once again it seems like it relies on proprietary matching of wheels and tires and not any kind of open source sharing.

Hopefully they'll open it up a bit but highly unlikely.

makoti
07-25-2017, 09:54 PM
and you end up with the little strings and feathers on them like you do with all the other Hutchinson tires

Yeah, the one time I tried some, I didn't care for them. Maybe they've improved with all this R&D. I wish they'd forget all this tire nonsense & go back to making Campy compatible hubs I can build around. ;)

ultraman6970
07-25-2017, 11:08 PM
Dont worry about that, in a couple of months sure a magazine will do a study about how fast those things are and will become the new standard :P

Mike V
07-25-2017, 11:35 PM
Mavic warranty. Never again.

oldpotatoe
07-26-2017, 07:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALVtgcY1YeM

A friend just sent me this. Mavic has built up quite a few tubeless systems. Wheels paired with their tires. Looks interesting, although I'm not sure I would buy wheels that, in order to get the most out of them, limited me to one brand of tire.
I'd love to try tubeless, but what I have heard about the hassle keeps me tubed.
Video is a bit long (15min), but it was interesting.

Thank the cycling gods, another 'standard'...yee-gads...:eek::eek::eek:

classtimesailer
07-26-2017, 09:46 AM
I've got some hubs waiting for new rims and if/when they hit the LBS and I can remove them and install them barehanded, and inflate them with my frame pump, I'm getting a set of rims and tires. I think this is a winner.

yonderb0y
07-26-2017, 12:35 PM
I just got a set of the Ksyrium Pro Allroads (wheels & tires) for half price during the Competitive Cyclist TdF sale. They seem to be gone now, I guess other people had the same idea.

Setup really was as easy as advertised - mounted the tires by hand, stuck the valve in, aired 'em up with a floor pump, and poured some sealant in. Best tubeless experience ever.

I've ridden them every day for about a week now, and I don't have a single negative thing to say. I'm still figuring out the best pressure to run for the 30mm tires - I'm just under 200# and have been using 60/65 psi in the front, 75/80 in the back. Grip and comfort for days, I'm very happy so far. Extremely happy for the price i paid :banana: