PDA

View Full Version : just when I think I'm out...they pull me back in!

Tickdoc
07-24-2017, 11:37 AM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/UPw-3e_pzqU/hqdefault.jpg

No, not really, but this article explains nicely what I just saw.....Allied Alpha. I was dropping a part off and looking for some tape when two ultra crisp and not easily identifiable bikes piqued my interest.

First time I have been intrigued by a bike I saw on the showroom floor in quite some time. First carbon bike I have shown even an ounce of interest in since 2011.

made not too far from me, and at a value that is much much more than other custom carbons I've seen.

Hmm.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2182251/your-next-carbon-bike-will-be-made-arkansas-instead-asia

73Bronco
07-24-2017, 11:56 AM
The pictures I've seen of their bikes most definitely peak my interest. I would love to see one in person

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

bobswire
07-24-2017, 12:00 PM
Total in house built frames kinda like Serotta tough at a lower price point. Hope they build a great bike and is successful.

Tickdoc
07-24-2017, 12:05 PM
Quality, fit, finish, custom paint options and warranty all seem spot on.

dustyrider
07-24-2017, 12:07 PM
The purple haze fade sure is dreamy! :D
The fades: https://alliedcycleworks.com/allied-alfa-fades/
It'd be nice to swing a leg over one of these.

93KgBike
07-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Love it. I live in a small town and have thought the same thing - soup to nuts here could be cheap enough in CF bikes.

875g - $4k/ultegra sounds like a model limited only by production capacity.

They've got my attention now! Thanks

makoti
07-24-2017, 12:49 PM
I wish them luck. I'd love to have more bikes built in the USA.
Now, really...you decide to go into business. Lots of planning involved. Attention to details to make sure you start right. The best name you can think of for your business is "Allied"? That's it?
And no Campy options for built bikes.

dpk501
07-24-2017, 09:51 PM
They remind me of older trek madones. The paint program looks great.

Lanternrouge
07-24-2017, 10:08 PM
It's totally annoying how folks keep making me want more bikes. These seem like a better value proposition than most others out there.

ceolwulf
07-24-2017, 11:23 PM
Threaded BB!

stien
07-25-2017, 05:58 AM
Oh my lord.

I just bought a frame, but I want one so badly now.

commonguy001
07-25-2017, 06:55 AM
Great article and dammit now I think I need an Allied All Road.
Love the tequila sunrise fade.

Hilltopperny
07-25-2017, 07:13 AM
These are the guys that bought out Guru and moved it to Little Rock. There is a thread a while back that delved into the whole thing. Glad to see a USA made production company and hope they do well. I have a titanium guru and it's one of my favorite bikes. I also had a slightly too large for me late model Photon which these look pretty similar to and it was a lightweight great riding frameset.

chiasticon
07-25-2017, 07:35 AM
yeah if I were going to buy a carbon bike again (and I don't plan on it), these guys would be at the top of my list. kind of a bummer about the internal cabling though. not a fan.

Tickdoc
07-25-2017, 07:38 AM
I should've snapped a pic of the two my bike shop had built up.:crap:

One was white, other was black and grey. Both ultegra, one disc, one electric.

Maybe I'll go back and take some snaps.

Tickdoc
07-25-2017, 07:39 AM
kind of a bummer about the internal cabling though. not a fan.

Funny because it always makes me admire a bike more. To each his own.

Bonesbrigade
07-25-2017, 07:53 AM
That's a pretty aggressive geo on the front end of the all-road bike - 73 HTA with a 48mm fork rake with low stack. Toe overlap could be an issue for the smaller sizes with bigger tires.

I personally could make it work, but I'm wondering what the average rider would think about that handling in the rough stuff. While I'm criticizing, more bb drop would also be nice.

Overall nice bikes for the price. Loving the threaded bb's!

chiasticon
07-25-2017, 08:28 AM
Funny because it always makes me admire a bike more. To each his own.oh it looks great; super clean. it's just a PITA to install. and the mechanical variant rattles if you're using full-length housing. which they don't appear to spell out on their road bike page (the Alfa) but could very well be the case.

that's been my experience at least. but mainly, I just like the simplicity of external mechanical cabling, partially the same reason why I like threaded BB's.

Clean39T
07-25-2017, 08:30 AM
oh it looks great; super clean. it's just a PITA to install. and the mechanical variant rattles if you're using full-length housing. which they don't appear to spell out on their road bike page (the Alfa) but could very well be the case.

that's been my experience at least. but mainly, I just like the simplicity of external mechanical cabling, partially the same reason why I like threaded BB's.

Totally agree.

chiasticon
07-25-2017, 08:31 AM
That's a pretty aggressive geo on the front end of the all-road bikethe road geo is pretty low-stack as well, even with the + headtube option. reminds me of the Chris King Cielo's, which I've never seen without a stack of 2 or more cm of spacers, even on their sponsored riders' bikes.

bcroslin
07-25-2017, 08:38 AM
The Bikery in St Petersburg is an Allied dealer and has two Alpha's in stock. I've put some miles on their 54 and it's a rock solid bike. Smooth, solid and light. Allied has an option for a "plus" head tube so if stock is too small you have an option to go larger. The recently announced Echo is based off the Guru Photon.

Tony T
07-25-2017, 08:45 AM
The recently announced Echo is based off the Guru Photon.

Yep, looks exactly like the Photon.

hokoman
07-25-2017, 02:04 PM
Criticizing is a lot easier than doing... coming up with a company name is incredibly difficult to nail.

* in response to this post *

Now, really...you decide to go into business. Lots of planning involved. Attention to details to make sure you start right. The best name you can think of for your business is "Allied"? That's it?*

makoti
07-25-2017, 03:15 PM
Criticizing is a lot easier than doing... coming up with a company name is incredibly difficult to nail.

* in response to this post *

Now, really...you decide to go into business. Lots of planning involved. Attention to details to make sure you start right. The best name you can think of for your business is "Allied"? That's it?*

My cat could have come up with a better name than "Allied". It may be difficult, but that's no reason not to try.

bathsalts
07-26-2017, 08:08 AM
My cat could have come up with a better name than "Allied". It may be difficult, but that's no reason not to try.

Giant, Special Ed, Canyon, etc. How is Allied any better/ worse. What would the internet be without anonymous complainers.

ColonelJLloyd
07-26-2017, 08:37 AM
Love the idea, but no-go on the geo. Even the All Road build on the website shows 3cm of spacers under the stem. Why? How many sales would they lose making the stack 2cm higher than they have it now? Are buyers really that hung up on standover height?

Tony T
07-26-2017, 08:46 AM

AAAAlllied is better, gets you to the top of the Yellow Pages :)

R3awak3n
07-26-2017, 08:47 AM
I think Allied is a fine name in a world of ridiculously stupid bike names.

William
07-26-2017, 08:53 AM
It's better than ACME. :)

William

fatsanta92
07-26-2017, 08:55 AM
My LBS is a dealer. Seen a few in person, they're gorgeous. Definitely a purchase for me in the future.

Too bad I just bought two bikes in the last year....

shoota
07-26-2017, 09:11 AM
Man there's a lot to like here. I wish Allied would post more specs on the frames themselves. Does the All Road have three water bottle cages? What size seatpost? What size TAs? I didn't see anything past threaded BB and the geo..

makoti
07-26-2017, 10:38 AM
Giant, Special Ed, Canyon, etc. How is Allied any better/ worse. What would the internet be without anonymous complainers.

So glad you joined up to say that. I look forward to more insightful commentary.

makoti
07-26-2017, 10:44 AM
It's better than ACME. :)

William

I'll give ya that.
Out riding today. Past a refuse center. Truck in front of me, towing something. Had a sign on the back, company name & phone #. "Allied 1-800-xxx-xxxx". Good name for a construction company, not so much a bike company.
Now, if the company is own by Mike Allied, well, I'll understand.

makoti
07-26-2017, 10:44 AM
AAAAlllied is better, gets you to the top of the Yellow Pages :)

:beer:

ojingoh
07-26-2017, 12:11 PM
The purple haze fade sure is dreamy! :D
The fades: https://alliedcycleworks.com/allied-alfa-fades/
It'd be nice to swing a leg over one of these.

Reminiscent of a 90s Klein - and that's a good thing!
I may know one of the visual design guys there, an old college roommate, and guess what, we rode 90s Kleins together!

oldguy00
07-26-2017, 02:25 PM
I'd be happy to see the business work out for them, but I certainly don't see them getting that big, if succeeding.

Regardless of the quality, it is at the moment a no-name generic looking frame.
Resale value will be extremely low (gaulzetti anyone?), etc.

I'm not sure why anyone would pick one of these frames over, say, a Calfee Tetra Pro for a few hundred more? Or even a Calfee Luna for less $$.

I know, debbie downer.....sorry..

shoota
07-26-2017, 02:49 PM
I'd be happy to see the business work out for them, but I certainly don't see them getting that big, if succeeding.

Regardless of the quality, it is at the moment a no-name generic looking frame.
Resale value will be extremely low (gaulzetti anyone?), etc.

I'm not sure why anyone would pick one of these frames over, say, a Calfee Tetra Pro for a few hundred more? Or even a Calfee Luna for less $$.

I know, debbie downer.....sorry..

Super downer :(

pncguy
07-26-2017, 03:32 PM
So glad you joined up to say that. I look forward to more insightful commentary.

He joined in May, so not just for this post.

kansukee
07-27-2017, 06:49 AM
Without a Campy option I wouldn't even consider them other than to buy a frameset. A crying shame.

Tickdoc
07-27-2017, 07:10 AM
Without a Campy option I wouldn't even consider them other than to buy a frameset. A crying shame.

Welcome to the US of A where Sram and Shimano rule supreme.

Did you see the rotor hydraulic one on the website? The brakes look huuuuge but the group looks interesting.

The frame alone is a decent price point and will accept any group nearly, so no worries there.

cal_len1
07-27-2017, 03:00 PM
It appears they are having a sale now too. I've been lusting after one of these for a while.

https://alliedcycleworks.com/allied-summer-sale/?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=f390d03770-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_07_26_ULTEGRA_SUMMER_SALE&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fbef30c06a-f390d03770-208607201&mc_cid=f390d03770&mc_eid=4f97146fe8