PDA

View Full Version : USA National Team

DavidC
07-23-2017, 04:52 PM
I noticed at the Cascade Cycling Classic that Alex Howes, Peter Stetina, Logan Owen and others are racing for 'USA National Team.' They're all on their own pro teams, right? For example I believe Stetina is on Trek–Segafredo. So why are they not racing for their teams? It's not the World Champs or the Olympics....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/cascade-cycling-classic-2017/pro-men-stage-4/results/

echappist
07-23-2017, 05:00 PM
otherwise they won't be allowed to participate in non-UCI level races (especially Alex Howes). I've seen Italian and Belgian national teams do similar (as does Canadian national team)

this allows them some racing miles.

ETA: i think this allows Pro-Conti and World Tour riders to participate

John H.
07-23-2017, 05:12 PM
It is weak that USAC allowed these guys to ride as "National Team" at Cascade- But USAC did not put together a National Team for Tour of California.
Plently of good US domestic pros got left out of TOC.

DavidC
07-23-2017, 05:23 PM
It is weak that USAC allowed these guys to ride as "National Team" at Cascade- But USAC did not put together a National Team for Tour of California.

Plently of good US domestic pros got left out of TOC.

Well that would be up to TOC, right? Since that race has 8-person teams, maybe they thought USAC's offering wasn't as strong as the wildcard teams that did get the invite. 2-3 good domestic pros left out, sure, but 8? (And the teams of those 8 would have to be cool for them to leave to ride it.)

choke
07-23-2017, 05:55 PM
Well that would be up to TOC, right?Exactly....the race organizers decide which teams to invite.

And FWIW, the US National Team did participate in the Women's TOC.

John H.
07-23-2017, 06:02 PM
But shouldn't USAC and TOC want to get the best riders in the US into the biggest event in the US?
The Axeon team got snubbed this year- they could have done a US National team that included many Axeon riders.

Chris
07-23-2017, 06:26 PM
You resister for Cascade (AFAIK), teams are selected for TOC.

FriarQuade
07-23-2017, 10:48 PM
Well that would be up to TOC, right? Since that race has 8-person teams, maybe they thought USAC's offering wasn't as strong as the wildcard teams that did get the invite. 2-3 good domestic pros left out, sure, but 8? (And the teams of those 8 would have to be cool for them to leave to ride it.)

Teams are lining up to get into TOC and the smaller teams are often paying entry fees when the big teams are getting their race expenses subsidized to some degree. Cascade on the other hand will take up to ~200 riders and is first come first serve. While our beloved local race is great it's got a relatively small audience. The reason USA put together a composite team for the race is that mens and wmn's races were UCI races this year and payed points, which USAC is interested in. So they put together a team with riders who didn't get tour slots and won all three road stages.

The business of bike racing is rarely what it seems on the surface.