PDA

View Full Version : Ernesto damage :OT

Smiley
09-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Just got back from the marina where Another Wrinkle is docked, Lucked out since I did not tend to the boat for this storm. Not so lucky were several other boat owners at the marina. The water surged about 2 ft above the docks that's 4 ft higher then normal high tide and this occured where I keep my boat at 3 AM and was compounded by + 40 mph gusts of wind. We have one sunken 33 footer and many a boat with bow or stern damage from rubbing up against the piers or dock. When I got to my slip today I learned of what it was like from a few guys that slept on their boats and were constantly tending their lines. I find this excercise difficult since trying to adjust lines with that much wind and waves is very dangerous especially when you have a small boat and a small area to grasp your footing late at night. Thank God for insurance. I hope you all stayed dry last night.

Avispa
09-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Hey Cap,

I guess we Floridians can't no longer say that these storms are reserved for us! Hope all is well...

I didn't hear anything other than a man touched some power lines with his car and he died.

Keith A
09-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Smiley,

You guys up north definitely got the worse part of this storm. We didn't any winds to speak of at all and about 3 inches of rain and the most I had to do was drain the pool.

It sounds as if your boat survived unharmed -- is that true? When we had all the storms two years ago, it was amazing how many boats that when adrift and sunk in the intercoastal river. It seems that for the most part, the owners either couldn't find them or just chose to leave them there. You can still ride along US1 and see some of the abandon boats.

Take care.