PDA

View Full Version : Riding in the US of A....

catulle
09-02-2006, 09:29 AM
Ehem, I've never ridden a bicycle in the US. I mean, not like taking a long ride on public roads and so on. Considering that my daughter Annie will graduate from high-school next year and will probably be attending college in the US, I have thought about keeping a bicycle in the US. College will be four years so I can go visit her and spend time riding my bicycle.

The question is: Are there any laws that particularly apply to cyclists? A special insurance, license, permit...? Is it mandatory to wear a helmet?

I ask because now days, in many places, you need a permit or have to pay a tax or something even for fulfilling your bodily needs. I lived for seven years in Spain during the seventies and always rode a motorcycle. Back then, to ride a motorcycle you just needed a regular drivers license and that was all. No insurance, no helmet, no special permit, no rules other than respecting stop signs and not much else. As a matter of fact, there were immense extensions of open fields which were a dream if you had a dirt bike. You would see a peak way out there by the horizon, you would point your front wheel towards it, climb rocks and cross creeks for a few hours, and soon enough you would be resting by the side of your Bultaco at the very top of the peak. No fences, no hassles, no rules.

It's not the same in Spain any longer. Someone figured that a motorcycle on an open field could only bring ecological damage to the world and now you need a permit, as well as insurance, helmet, a special license, on and on to ride a motorcycle in Spain. I guess there are too many people and too many motocycles now and the laws and regulations are needed, but I certainly had a lot fun when I could.

Anyways, I wonder if things have turned as nasty for cyclists in the US (in New England, anyway). I just want to avoid and altercation with one of them psychotic cops and so on. Hey, thank you for your cooperation.

atmo
09-02-2006, 09:34 AM
The question is: Are there any laws that particularly apply to cyclists? A special insurance, license, permit...? Is it mandatory to wear a helmet?

real cyclists drink to-go coffee through a straw atmo.

csm
09-02-2006, 09:35 AM
you must ride a serotta.

Lifelover
09-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Ehem, I've never ridden a bicycle in the US. I mean, not like taking a long ride on public roads and so on. Considering that my daughter Annie will graduate from high-school next year and will probably be attending college in the US, I have thought about keeping a bicycle in the US. College will be four years so I can go visit her and spend time riding my bicycle.

I ask because now days, in many places, you need a permit or have to pay a tax or something even for fulfilling your bodily needs. I lived for seven years in Spain during the seventies and always rode a motorcycle. Back then, to ride a motorcycle you just needed a regular drivers license and that was all. No insurance, no helmet, no special permit, no rules other than respecting stop signs and not much else. As a matter of fact, there were immense extensions of open fields which were a dream if you had a dirt bike. You would see a peak way out there by the horizon, you would point your front wheel towards it, climb rocks and cross creeks for a few hours, and soon enough you would be resting by the side of your Bultaco at the very top of the peak. No fences, no hassles, no rules.

It's not the same in Spain any longer. Someone figured that a motorcycle on an open field could only bring ecological damage to the world and now you need a permit, as well as insurance, helmet, a special license, on and on to ride a motorcycle in Spain. I guess there are too many people and too many motocycles now and the laws and regulations are needed, but I certainly had a lot fun when I could.

Anyways, I wonder if things have turned as nasty for cyclists in the US (in New England, anyway). I just want to avoid and altercation with one of them psychotic cops and so on. Hey, thank you for your cooperation.

I have never heard of anyone, anywhere in the US needing a special permit to ride a bike on public roads.

Motorcycles are a different story. While it varies state to state you generally need a specific license and a helmet. You certainly would need permission to ride on private property.

Where in the states will she be going to school?

catulle
09-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Where in the states will she be going to school?

She is going to school in CT at the present time. She wants to stay in New England for college.

catulle
09-02-2006, 09:52 AM
I knew it'd be a problem. I knew it. First, I don't drink coffee. I guess I could drink one of them things that come in a pineapple and have little umbrellas sticking out of them. Second, I don't have a Serotta; and... Anyways, out on two strikes.

You guys laugh, but when you're old and see the way the world has changed you'd want to cry.

rePhil
09-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Anyways, I wonder if things have turned as nasty for cyclists in the US (in New England, anyway). I just want to avoid and altercation with one of them psychotic cops and so on. Hey, thank you for your cooperation.[/QUOTE]

Motorcycles and bikes are two different animals. Here in Florida children under 16 riding a bicycle must wear a helmet.You are entitled to the same rights as a motorist with the exception of not being able to ride in the Interstate.
A separate motorcycle license is required.
As far a physchotic cops go:Besides my wife who has 28+ in law enforcement.We have a son is that is going to be an officer. Fresh out of the academy.His goal is to catch the bad guys, and serve his community.He has had 11 months of schooling and 6 months of field training. As well as two polygraphs and get this.... a Phsych test.I believe all our (local anyway)officers to be level headed and well versed as far as your rights. I have no doubt he will watch out for cyclists rights.
A Police Capt also did some group rides. Our group ride watched him lecture a obnoxious motorist who rolled his window down and was yelling as he passed us. We caught up to him at a light. Not to hijack your thread but not all cops in the US are bad. I am betting you will have plenty of enjoyable rides in the US.

atmo
09-02-2006, 09:54 AM
You guys laugh, but when you're old and see the way the world has changed you'd want to cry.
beautiful things make me cry atmo.

catulle
09-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Not to hijack your thread but not all cops in the US are bad. I am betting you will have plenty of enjoyable rides in the US.

You're right. And all the loony cops are not in the US, either; not by a long shot. Thanks for your kind response.

catulle
09-02-2006, 10:09 AM
beautiful things make me cry atmo.

Hebephrenia, in the old days, atmo.

dbrk
09-02-2006, 10:13 AM
University of Rochester, Cornell, and a host of other colleges are near some of the very best cycling in the US. Plus, you have a place to store your bike that is convenient and, well, has good company, to wit, my basement. ("Heaven is where dreams come true..." ---John Kinsella quoted in W.P. Kinsella's _Shoeless Joe_) Send her here and I will both be sure she is cared for and duly subverted or, at the very least, subjected to the radical leftist pinko propaganda of your basic college professor who also respects those who "serve and protect" as the saying goes.

the day helmets are mandatory is the day i move anywhere they are not,

dbrk

Avispa
09-02-2006, 10:14 AM
I live in South Florida. I think we have one of the most liberal laws for motorcycle riding... I ride one myself sometimes OR my scooter EVERYDAY. I find this a great pleasure, at least on public roads. I don't know about fields or dirt bikes. But I bet that if you just stay in those fields, no one is going to bother you!

As far as bikes go.... The laws seem to be more flexible there. I have never seen a cop stop a child for not wearing a helmet. BTW, I agree with the Picshooter, I have found police in the USA very professional, knowledgeable, and helpful. At least the ones, I've had dealt with. Most of those "psychotic" cops are only in the movies, which tend to give a country its international image; which I think is very different than reality many times.

One last thing, if you come to the States in the Winter, take a trip down, bring your bike and come ride in South Florida... You will like it a lot! I promise.... ;)

Kevan
09-02-2006, 10:25 AM
We pretty much have the run of the farm 'cept the farmer is gettin' a bit ticked that there are so many of us and our habits of bending some road rules. Stop lights and signs seem to be their particular concern.

Kids, accompanied by a parent, are required to wear helmets. Reason being the authorities can't ticket minors when by themselves. Dads or moms get the ticket.

Honestly, the locals are getting a bit fiesty about us road warrior types cloggin' the weekend roads. Depends on the town and the cycling scene there.

I would make it a point to carry your id when riding. A cop is well within his rights to pull you over if you sneak through a stop and you best be prepared. Though sweet talking usually works and let'm yell at you.

The Northeast has some of the best riding and I've personally noticed the friendlier forum members reside in this area, always ready and willing to go for a spin. Those folk from the DC area you might want to avoid, particularly that dog lover.

catulle
09-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Send her here and I will both be sure she is cared for and duly subverted or, at the very least, subjected to the radical leftist pinko propaganda of your basic college professor who also respects those who "serve and protect" as the saying goes.
the day helmets are mandatory is the day i move anywhere they are not,
dbrk

A few things you don't know, Dr. D: Both my daughter and one of her best friends are applying to Rochester. The school has become very popular here because I've made sure to make it so. Also (shhhhh...) these girls can teach you a thing or two about Angela Davis, theology of liberation, The Frankfurt School, Bakunin, et al. As a matter of fact, they are planning for next summer (graduation present/vacation) to visit I don't know how many countries (Cuba included) to carry out a comparative study on poverty. I tell you, I don't know where they've learned all that type of subversive stuff. Brave New World.

You're the best Dr.D. Thank you.

catulle
09-02-2006, 10:30 AM
You guys are great...!! Thank you. Not only I have been perfectly well briefed but I have with whom to go riding. Again, thank you so much. I wish I could reciprocate your kindness.

rePhil
09-02-2006, 11:01 AM
I wish I could reciprocate your kindness.

My 250 Bultaco Pursang. Thanks for reminding me, and giving me a reason to smile...

catulle
09-02-2006, 11:09 AM
My 250 Bultaco Pursang. Thanks for reminding me, and giving me a reason to smile...

Frontera 360, Sherpa 250, and many Pursang...

obtuse
09-02-2006, 11:17 AM
send your daughters to harvard. leave your bike here. ride with me and i'll get you that special permit comrade.

obtuse

obtuse
09-02-2006, 11:22 AM
I lived for seven years in Spain during the seventies and always rode a motorcycle. Back then, to ride a motorcycle you just needed a regular drivers license and that was all. No insurance, no helmet, no special permit, no rules other than respecting stop signs and not much else. As a matter of fact, there were immense extensions of open fields which were a dream if you had a dirt bike. You would see a peak way out there by the horizon, you would point your front wheel towards it, climb rocks and cross creeks for a few hours, and soon enough you would be resting by the side of your Bultaco at the very top of the peak. No fences, no hassles, no rules.

It's not the same in Spain any longer. .

see juan! i told you the falange was good for something. if spain had had trains in 1972 i bet they'd have run on time too.

obtuse

catulle
09-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Obtuse,

Now I know it is for real. You want to kill me. Why? I've done nothing wrong. I know, I know, I posted a picture with naked women on bicycles but I was already reprimanded for so much. But asking me to ride with you, and then posting a picture of...., of him, the Guernica man. See, you most certainly want to kill me. :no:

obtuse
09-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Obtuse,

Now I know it is for real. You want to kill me. Why? I've done nothing wrong. I know, I know, I posted a picture with naked women on bicycles but I was already reprimanded for so much. But asking me to ride with you, and then posting a picture of...., of him, the Guernica man. See, you most certainly want to kill me. :no:

kill you? i hardly even want to hurt you! plus you owe me beer.

hey- i love naked girls and i certainly tolerate bicycles to a certain extent. as for the butcher of guernica, well like i said; just as i'm sure your bultaco could outrun the falange and i'm sure your colnago can outrun the concord and weston police...we can deal with him too.

its a little leftist humor; plus you're the guy running around spain in the '70s...you're a far braver man than i!

obtuse

dave thompson
09-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Spain finally came out of the Dark Ages when Franco was gone. I remember visiting the Montessa factory in 1970. (I was a Montessa dealer then) I remember being very strongly cautioned about talking anything remotely resembling politics, with anyone, anywhere. Sort of scary being in a place where one person could hold that kind of power.

obtuse
09-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Spain finally came out of the Dark Ages when Franco was gone. I remember visiting the Montessa factory in 1970. (I was a Montessa dealer then) I remember being very strongly cautioned about talking anything remotely resembling politics, with anyone, anywhere. Sort of scary being in a place where one person could hold that kind of power.

yeah, but like i said if spain had had trains they'd have run on time under the caudillo.

obtuse

(i hope everyone understands this is an attempt at humor. fascists suck;)

Kevan
09-02-2006, 11:52 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/74/PicassoGuernica.jpg

catulle
09-02-2006, 11:52 AM
yeah, but like i said if spain had had trains they'd have run on time under the caudillo.
obtuse
(i hope everyone understands this is an attempt at humor. fascists suck;)

Oh, so you don't want to kill me just because I owe you beer...! Now I get it.

I know where you're coming from, tovarich. I could put you to sleep with long tales about them olden times. Maybe over beer. :beer:

catulle
09-02-2006, 11:56 AM

What was a great guy like you doing with Montesa, Dave? Jeeez, you ought to have known better. Ossa, hmmm, maybe, but Montesa...?! :beer:

stevep
09-02-2006, 12:13 PM
catulle,
send me $50 and i will arrange a cycling pass good in all 50 states except montana..that will cost another $10.
sincerely,
s

dave thompson
09-02-2006, 12:14 PM
What was a great guy like you doing with Montesa, Dave? Jeeez, you ought to have known better. Ossa, hmmm, maybe, but Montesa...?! :beer:
Another dealer had the lock on Bultacos, so I took on Montesa. Ossa bears were not know for their sterling reliability then.

Interestingly, my shop was one of the (very small) sponsors of John DeSoto, who was riding Montesa for the American MotoCross Team in Europe, one of the first successful American riders in the late 60s.

catulle
09-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Another dealer had the lock on Bultacos, so I took on Montesa. Ossa bears were not know for their sterling reliability then.

Interestingly, my shop was one of the (very small) sponsors of John DeSoto, who was riding Montesa for the American MotoCross Team in Europe, one of the first successful American riders in the late 60s.

Great...! Remember Pomeroy?

catulle
09-02-2006, 12:23 PM
catulle,
send me $50 and i will arrange a cycling pass good in all 50 states except montana..that will cost another $10.
sincerely,
s

Next door in Colombia they make some $50 bills that I can use for buying that pass. Tell you what, I'll send you two $50 bills for a pass for the 50 states. How 'bout it? :bike:

dave thompson
09-02-2006, 12:30 PM
Great...! Remember Pomeroy?
Yup. He's from our fair state of Washington. He recently was killed in a car accident.

stevep
09-02-2006, 12:31 PM
youre on. for 2 fake $50 bills you can own obtuse.
if she ends up in boston metro... there is a lot of riding in the vicinity...and a lot of colleges.

obtuse
09-02-2006, 12:53 PM
youre on. for 2 fake $50 bills you can own obtuse.
if she ends up in boston metro... there is a lot of riding in the vicinity...and a lot of colleges.

you're selling me for counterfeit money to catulle's daughters?

ahm,
ok

obtuse

stevep
09-02-2006, 12:59 PM
you'll get your share..a small starbucks... fahgettaboutit

catulle
09-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Yup. He's from our fair state of Washington. He recently was killed in a car accident.

What a shame...! Jim Pomeroy, it seems like yesterday.

97CSI
09-02-2006, 06:32 PM
Once your daughter gets her college selection settled then you just need to find the nearest Serotta dealer (or other decent LBS) and get connected with a local bicycle club. Am sure they would be pleased to have a member from Spain. Will give you experienced folks to ride with who are happy to help and organized rides to go on.

Serotta PETE
09-02-2006, 06:38 PM
I knew it'd be a problem. I knew it. First, I don't drink coffee. I guess I could drink one of them things that come in a pineapple and have little umbrellas sticking out of them. Second, I don't have a Serotta; and... Anyways, out on two strikes.

Do not drink coffer?? :argue: Neither do it>>>>

No Serotta - - -We can fix that (but it does not matter.DO YOU drink wine??

Bikes, we have plenty, storage we have plenty,

Come join us.......PETE

taz-t
09-02-2006, 07:08 PM
A few things you don't know, Dr. D: Both my daughter and one of her best friends are applying to Rochester. The school has become very popular here because I've made sure to make it so. Also (shhhhh...) these girls can teach you a thing or two about Angela Davis, theology of liberation, The Frankfurt School, Bakunin, et al. As a matter of fact, they are planning for next summer (graduation present/vacation) to visit I don't know how many countries (Cuba included) to carry out a comparative study on poverty. I tell you, I don't know where they've learned all that type of subversive stuff. Brave New World.

You're the best Dr.D. Thank you.

Hey Catulle,

I'm sure your a good guy and all, but Angela Davis should be sitting in prison next to Kathleen Soliah and any of the remaining SNIC, SLA and Weather Underground that didn't have the good sense to blow themselves up in the 70's.

- taz

catulle
09-02-2006, 07:09 PM
Do not drink coffer?? :argue: Neither do it>>>>

No Serotta - - -We can fix that (but it does not matter.DO YOU drink wine??

Bikes, we have plenty, storage we have plenty,

Come join us.......PETE

Not only do I drink wine, I believe North Carolina is one of the most beautiful places in the world. From Nags Head to the Blue Ridge Mountains, NC is a blessed land. Oh, I've had plenty of bass and fried chicken in NC; all gulped down with cold PBR. Thanx, Pete.

sailorboy
09-02-2006, 07:34 PM
I learned to really ride a bike growing up in Vermont. A couple of thoughts for your N.E. riding;
1) Coming from a warm climate, don't even bother trying to ride up there outside of the period between May15th to Oct. 15th. You'll probably hate it.

2) Read up on what a 'frost heave' is before you arrive.

3) Oh yea, they use a lot of sand on the roads in the winter especially on the hills, so slow down in the turns. It doesn't wash off until after the first few good rain storms in spring. You often can't see it until you're already trying to corner on it.

Have Fun! Its the best place on earth to ride IMHO.

catulle
09-02-2006, 07:43 PM
I learned to really ride a bike growing up in Vermont. A couple of thoughts for your N.E. riding;
1) Coming from a warm climate, don't even bother trying to ride up there outside of the period between May15th to Oct. 15th. You'll probably hate it.

3) Oh yea, they use a lot of sand on the roads in the winter especially on the hills, so slow down in the turns. It doesn't wash off until after the first few good rain storms in spring. You often can't see it until you're already trying to corner on it.

Thank you for the good advice. Regarding the weather, I couldn't agree more. I'm aware that cold weather is for people much more advanced in the ladder of evolution than yours truly, so I know how to stay in the warm stuff. The only thing I like cold is beer. :beer:

stevep
09-02-2006, 07:44 PM

awe comeon sailor. winter riding is the best up here ( seriously ). crisp cool air..
with some winter duds you can ride a lot of the winter... easily. and you will get to like it...heck, last year we did not even have a winter...rode easy 12 months.
roads are unbeatable...light traffic... varied terrain... you cant stop for 1/2 the year!
our biggest rides are in the winter. nobodys away. everyones eager to get out.

atmo
09-02-2006, 07:49 PM
awe comeon sailor. winter riding is the best up here ( seriously ). crisp cool air..
with some winter duds you can ride a lot of the winter... easily. and you will get to like it...heck, last year we did not even have a winter...rode easy 12 months.
roads are unbeatable...light traffic... varied terrain... you cant stop for 1/2 the year!

what pooch-issimo says.
the real season only justs starts this sunday.
cross effin rules atmo©™®

sailorboy
09-03-2006, 01:20 AM

Maybe I'm getting a little soft in my years away from the deep freeze, but I'm pretty sure our friend Catulle won't apreciate the way a late nor'easter can hammer the Ap. Gap or similar perch with a few inches of the wet white stuff even in May. If it were up to me I would be coming back there when the Navy cuts me loose. The wife isn't quite on the same page yet about New England. I'm working on it.

davids
09-05-2006, 11:25 AM
NE winters are for mountain biking, atmo. Nothin' like the sound of crisp, dry snow under your tires when the mercury dips below 20...

Karin Kirk
09-05-2006, 11:54 PM
NE winters are for mountain biking, atmo. Nothin' like the sound of crisp, dry snow under your tires when the mercury dips below 20...

...except for that squeaky sound the cold, dry snow makes underneath your SKIS. That sound is heaven.