PDA

View Full Version : RockShox RS-1 Brain

LegendRider
07-20-2017, 08:02 PM
I'm looking at a basically new 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro 29 World Cup mountain bike with the following fork:

RockShox RS-1 Brain, Solo Air spring, S: 80mm travel, M/L/XL: 95mm travel, Spike Valve, top-mount Brain Fade adjust, rebound adjust, inverted design, tapered carbon crown/steerer, 46mm offset, 15mm Maxle Ultimate thru-axle

The reviews seem mediocre to negative, and I wanted to know if anyone has experience with the fork. Putting aside the value question, does the fork perform well or not?

John H.
07-20-2017, 08:28 PM
You have double negatives there-

1.) RS-1 is not a great fork. Lateral stability is terrible because the fork legs can rotate in the stanchions.
I know of at least one world cup level mtb racer who refused to ride it. Their entire team is back on normal Rochshox forks this season.

2.) Brain is also not great- It does not always open on cue. The brain cartridges tend to die after a while.

Mine turned into a rigged front end on me on a technical ride-

I had my LBS send it back to Specialized for re-build/warranty. They sent it back without doing anything.
My shop complained to the local sales rep. He finally came by and gave them a new cartridge.
But all of this took weeks and it was a pain in the ass.

LegendRider
07-20-2017, 08:43 PM
You have double negatives there-

1.) RS-1 is not a great fork. Lateral stability is terrible because the fork legs can rotate in the stanchions.
I know of at least one world cup level mtb racer who refused to ride it. Their entire team is back on normal Rochshox forks this season.

2.) Brain is also not great- It does not always open on cue. The brain cartridges tend to die after a while.

Mine turned into a rigged front end on me on a technical ride-

I had my LBS send it back to Specialized for re-build/warranty. They sent it back without doing anything.
My shop complained to the local sales rep. He finally came by and gave them a new cartridge.
But all of this took weeks and it was a pain in the ass.

Thanks for your insights. Not the news I wanted to hear...

Mr Cabletwitch
07-20-2017, 09:18 PM
a little off topic but unless you're racing or chasing KOMs think big tires and bigger travel, you WILL enjoy the ride more. couldn't be happier with my plus bike