PDA

View Full Version : BMW Bicycles? Uh, no.

Michael Maddox
07-20-2017, 04:31 PM
Yeah, bicycles. Got an email from BMW today, pointing to this website:

http://www.shopbmwusa.com/LIFESTYLE/ACCESSORIES---GIFTS/BICYCLES?utm_source=CRM&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bmwbikespecial17

Interested to see which Asia-Pacific shop they are importing them from. Imagine US$1320 for a bike with $30 hydro brakes on it.

Also love the ad photos..."We want the bikes to look like they're all riding to the LEFT!"

"Uh...but then you can't see the crankset and derailleurs..."

"Yeah. To the LEFT."

azrider
07-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Just what cycling needs..................more pretentiousness :p

Ken Robb
07-20-2017, 08:55 PM
I know of one positive result of BMW selling bicycles. My wife won one in a raffle at Coronado Speedweek historic races a few years ago. The bike was a folding mtn. bike with low end Shimano components (8-Speed triple). We already had 10 bikes in the garage so we didn't need it so I offered through a BMWCCA website and one of my instructor pals bought it for a pit bike to use when he is racing or instructing.
He hadn't ridden a "push bike" (he's English) since he was a kid but he thought it was fun. Then he took it on some off-road rides and thought that was a LOT of fun. He quickly realized he needed a much better bike and I think he told me he was on his third high-end mtn. bike and rides a lot. He still uses the BMW bike as a pit bike. It's ideal for that because it folds and fits into a space in his race car transporter trailer where a regular bike would be awkward.