PDA

View Full Version : Todays recipe....Turkish tomato salad..OT

shinomaster
09-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Don't be afraid of all Moslems...some make great salad. A very traditional summer Turkish salad is Tomato Salad (Domates Salatasi). It is probably the best salad that ever has been, and ever will be. You make it like this...
1) Chop up coarsly, a pile of fresh garden tomatos ( the more ripe and heirloom the better)
2) chop up a pile of cucumbers....I'd say 2/3 tomatos and 1/3 cucumbers
3) a small hot green pepper like a Jalepeno or a spicy green chile--to taste (grill it if you can)
4) A lot of fresh lemon juice...not the crap in the plastic yellow faux lemon bottle!
5) A good slathering of quality olive oil---don't be stingy!
6) A lot of salt...to taste
7) A big bunch of chopped Italian parsley--the secret ingredient...
8) Turkish sumac, if you can find it...not the poisonous stuff we grow here..
mix in a big bowl and thank me later. If it tastes bad, you didn't make it right.....you can also add some green pepper, and a little onion.

This salad is great on it's own, or with falafel or rice pilave with yogurt and grilled meats. Now is the time! :banana:

gasman
09-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Sounds good.
Don't be afraid of Muslims either.

shinomaster
09-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Moslems Muslems? Mogal Mugul? Song Sung? Hamada Shoji Hamada Syoji?

bcm119
09-02-2006, 10:07 PM
My s.o. often makes variations of that salad, and yes, its great. She'll often use an "armenian cucumber" -the big, ribbed kind :rolleyes: - for extra crunchy goodness.

93legendti
09-02-2006, 10:15 PM
My wife calls that an Israeli salad. Maybe they should just call it a Mediterranean salad. :)

I like it with Olive Oil and Techina.

shinomaster
09-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Yeah the Ottomans spread all the good stuff around the Middle East. Actually I think a true Tomato salad has no "cucumbers"

pale scotsman
09-03-2006, 10:49 AM
A buddies dad makes a tomato salad just like that with fresh chopped, not pickled, banana peppers for the pepper. Mmm, mmm good!