PDA

View Full Version : what's the hot new tire these days?

Tickdoc
07-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Been riding the new corsa's for a while now, and they are fine and fast, but are not as puncture resistant as I expected.

I'm tired of picking debris out of the rubber just waiting for the next flat. And they also don't corner well over anything loose, but they sure are fast in a straight line.

Veloflex master 25's are still my all time favs, but not on my enve rims.

So what's your favorite fancy nancy tire these days?

macaroon
07-20-2017, 08:34 AM
Continental GP4000s

Caballero
07-20-2017, 08:52 AM
Specialized s works turbo cottons are nice !

dgauthier
07-20-2017, 08:57 AM
You mean there are other brands of tires besides Veloflex...?

pjm
07-20-2017, 09:01 AM
Conti GP 4000 S II is the best tire I've used, period. They handle fine, last twice as long as any other tire I've used, and I haven't flatted in a season and a half.

MikeD
07-20-2017, 09:03 AM
Conti GP 4000 S II is the best tire I've used, period. They handle fine, last twice as long as any other tire I've used, and I haven't flatted in a season and a half.

+1 for that.

Tickdoc
07-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Continental GP4000s

I rode them for years but found them to be harsh riding and antything but plush. They are tough though!

tlittlefield
07-20-2017, 09:14 AM
I rode them for years but found them to be harsh riding and antything but plush. They are tough though!

I ride the 25mm version and have the rear at 90 psi and front at 80 and find them very nice riding.

wombatspeed
07-20-2017, 09:14 AM
I quite liked the new graphene Corsas on the dry roads (and dirt roads) of Wyoming and Colorado. They seemed to last well, not puncture and ride very well.

In contrast, visiting upstate NY this summer with its wet roads (and little flint stone gravel) the Corsas still rode well, but seemed to get lots of little cuts very quickly, as well as flat more. If these were my regular riding conditions I would go back to something like Michelin Pro Race 4s (or whatever the successor is) or the Conti GP.

Tickdoc
07-20-2017, 09:26 AM
clement lcv anyone?

veggieburger
07-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Any love for Gommitalia? Their Targa was similar to the Vittoria Corsa, and the Blitz was a chubby, rubbery, grippy slick tire. I liked the latter as a good, durable training tire.

(I use past tense cuz I haven't seen Gommitalias sold anywhere in quite a few years)

FlashUNC
07-20-2017, 10:46 AM
Vittoria Corsa Graphene.

Just get them.

scho74
07-20-2017, 11:08 AM
I haven't seen much online regarding these tires, but they sound awesome.

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=EVO+Competition+SX+Tire&vendorCode=PANARACE&major=1&minor=27

https://www.excelsports.com/assets/gallery/109873-2.jpg

false_Aest
07-20-2017, 11:12 AM
^ yep.

also

Schwalbe Uno is a very durable tire (I cannot seem to kill my front tire)

and

for a fast grippy tire (with all the trade offs) I'm still digging the Michelin Pro4 (but they wear really fast).

Mzilliox
07-20-2017, 11:25 AM
One not mentioned that i have liked, especially for hills and cornering are the Michelin pro 4. not gumwalls, but nice fast comfy tires that hold the road well.

OperaLover
07-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Panaracer Race A. Light, supple durable and handmade in Japan!

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-20-2017, 11:31 AM
:beer:You mean there are other brands of tires besides Veloflex...?

MattTuck
07-20-2017, 11:44 AM
I've had good luck with gatorskins. :D

dustyrider
07-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Interesting that you're picking up flats with the corsa tire. I typically only get flats with corsa tires when they're ready to be replaced. It's usually the third, or fourth, rear puncture that makes me move the front to the back once I pick pick up a new one for the front. I'm not looking for another tire, even though these do wear fast. The 25c corsa tires are like riding on a pillow that corners on rails!

Tickdoc
07-20-2017, 11:56 AM
that corners on rails!

Am I the only one experiencing the rear tire slipping out on me in the new corsas?

I mean, they do handle great, but the slightest pebble or debris can send the rear out on these like no other tire I've ridden.

I haven't bit the dust from it yet, but it has happened on several occasions and makes me pucker up every time.

Mzilliox
07-20-2017, 12:00 PM
I haven't seen much online regarding these tires, but they sound awesome.

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=EVO+Competition+SX+Tire&vendorCode=PANARACE&major=1&minor=27

https://www.excelsports.com/assets/gallery/109873-2.jpg

Looks like a 25mm compass offering pretty much. casings look nearly the same

Duende
07-20-2017, 12:45 PM
Longtime Veloflex Corsa user... on the advice of some here decided to give the new Vittoria Corsa Graphene a try.

Really liking them so far. Hoping their better in the wet than the prior gens.

redir
07-20-2017, 12:50 PM
The veloflex Masters are my favorite clincher around, closest thing to tubular tire you can find. But they also are not very puncture resistant and made with soft rubber so I'm not sure why you would still like them if that is an issue. It's a trade off. If you want puncture resistance and long life then ride quality goes down.

torquer
07-20-2017, 01:13 PM
Am I the only one experiencing the rear tire slipping out on me in the new corsas?
What's your tire pressure (and weight, if that's not too personal a question)?
Vittoria's recommended pressure, as I recall, was higher than what most of us use.

MaraudingWalrus
07-20-2017, 01:15 PM
I'm mounting some 30mm Challenge Strada Biancas to my wheels now.

I also loved my 25mm Challenge Elite tires on a previous bike.

JasonF
07-20-2017, 02:09 PM
Compass Stampede Pass are great tires if you can fit them...super plush, roll well and so far pretty durable.

m_sasso
07-20-2017, 05:19 PM
Anyone have feedback on the newer Michelin Power Competition tires?

mtechnica
07-20-2017, 05:36 PM
The GP4KS2 is the #1 overall clincher because:

1. They're pretty fast. There are plenty of tests that put them towards the top of rolling resistance charts.

2. They are more resistant to cuts and flats than most road tires and almost certainly more robust than other tires in the same performance realm.

3.) Ride quality is OK. There are definitely more supple tires out there but the GP4KS2 is again still better than most tires.

4.) They're relatively cheap if you buy them online. I'm pretty sure I paid around $30 a tire for my last several. See what you can get for $30 at a local bike shop and compare it to a GP4KS2.

You can do better in some specific areas but not overall. Not all that many viable options for a tire you can train and race on with full confidence. There's pretty much no reason to use anything else IMHO unless you're sacrificing everything for either only speed or only durability. Most of the tires mentioned in this thread are clearly inferior to the GP4KS2.

wc1934
07-20-2017, 07:00 PM
you just jinxed yourself

Drmojo
07-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Looks like a 25mm compass offering pretty much. casings look nearly the same

Compass are Panaracer tires
Rebranded by Jan Heine

yinzerniner
07-20-2017, 07:28 PM
Most of the tires mentioned in this thread are clearly inferior to the GP4KS2.

I'm not sure if all other are "clearly inferior," it's just that the cumulative score of all the positive traits clearly points to the GP4ks

I actually preferred the ride of the Schwalbe Ones and Corsas to the Contis, but the were vastly inferior in the longevity and durability departments. I'd say that if the OP can run tubeless the Schwalbe Pro One might be the best option since puncture resistance is nullified by the sealant.

dmurphey
07-20-2017, 08:42 PM

Word uo

CSKeller
07-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Vittoria, Veloflex or FMB tubulars...prefereably 25s.

Sorry, I haven't been on standard clinchers since 2010. I've occassionally run Schwalbe Ones tubeless but mainly been on Vittoria Paves. They work great and the rear lasts 1,200+ miles.

Tickdoc
07-20-2017, 10:49 PM
What's your tire pressure (and weight, if that's not too personal a question)?
Vittoria's recommended pressure, as I recall, was higher than what most of us use.

I usually run 90 front, 100 rear, and 175 weight

mastaliu
07-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Like many here, I've been very happy with the Vittoria Corsa G+ a very smooth and comfortable ride.

The only thing is the 700x25 is more like a 28...it's so fat I have to deflate the tires a bit to take the wheels off - there is no way it's a 25.

Dracarys
07-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Vittoria Corsa G+.

I used to ride the Corsa CX, which I liked a lot, but it was discontinued. Then I tried the Conti GP4000S II, since it was all the rage. I actually hated it. The Contis felt dull to me and I kept getting flats to boot. Then I tried the Corsa G+. Love 'em. And no flats. I'm sure it's a coincidence that one tire was getting all the flats as I doubt the Corsa is any more durable, but the Corsa definitely rides nicer for me.

oldpotatoe
07-21-2017, 09:51 AM
Vittoria, Veloflex or FMB tubulars...prefereably 25s.

Sorry, I haven't been on standard clinchers since 2010. I've occassionally run Schwalbe Ones tubeless but mainly been on Vittoria Paves. They work great and the rear lasts 1,200+ miles.

Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25mm..290 TPI, butyl tube, durable, supple. Great tires.

Bwana
07-21-2017, 10:02 AM
GP4kSII and Corsa G+

I recently switched to Corsa G+ but would go back to GP4k's if they made a gum wall version. No complaints about the Corsa's except they do see to wear a bit quicker than the GP's though.

astrov
07-21-2017, 10:30 AM
I just want to further plug for Veloflex Roubaixs. Tubular tire. great grip, supple, fast, no punctures so far. For sale for only $66 ea:

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-tyres/veloflex-roubaix-tubular-road-tyre/10962668.html

Only downside is that at 24mm, it's not very wide. Obviously as a pave tire it may not be appropriate for your riding conditions.

What do people like for a 27mm-28mm clincher tire? For training rather than racing. The Challenge Strada Bianca tires at 30mm look amazing but probably too wide for my (bike) frame.

sparky33
07-21-2017, 11:21 AM
Veloflex master 25's are still my all time favs, but not on my enve rims.

Why not favs on Enve rims?

cderalow
07-21-2017, 11:30 AM
another vote for the gp 4000s ii.

i run 25's at 80/80 for rough path or 90/85 for road riding.

0 flats and after 1000 miles they still look brand new.

Tickdoc
07-21-2017, 11:45 AM
Why not favs on Enve rims?

Because I was awoken at 2:00 in the morning following a loud bang, trembling with my HKVp9 and a flashlight in hand only to find my veloflex master popped off the rim in the middle of the night. Bout shat myself.

Might of just been a poor seat, but I really don't want to do that again, and it gives me pause before I go bombing down any hills or sweeping around any corners.

sparky33
07-21-2017, 07:43 PM
Because I was awoken at 2:00 in the morning following a loud bang, trembling with my HKVp9 and a flashlight in hand only to find my veloflex master popped off the rim in the middle of the night. Bout shat myself.

Might of just been a poor seat, but I really don't want to do that again, and it gives me pause before I go bombing down any hills or sweeping around any corners.

Ah yes.
This also happened to me once with a Challenge Grifo XS tire, in a hotel late one night. Insanely loud. I am surprised that the police didn't come check if I was murdering someone.

As much as I loved that tire, I don't favor it anymore.

sg8357
07-21-2017, 08:08 PM
Compass are Panaracer tires
Rebranded by Jan Heine

Panaracer also makes the Fairweather and Soma Shinkoro tires.
The design of tires varies, Panaracer Gravel Kings are not the same
as standard or extra light Compass tires. Shinkoros use a different
mold than the Gravel King/Compass/Fairweather variants.
GKs have flat protection layers, no Compass tire has that layer.

cua90
07-21-2017, 08:09 PM
Panaracer Race A. Light, supple durable and handmade in Japan!

Love these tires in 25. Excel has a good price now for a twin pack.

sw3759
07-22-2017, 03:06 AM
Love these tires in 25. Excel has a good price now for a twin pack.

agreed,big panaracer fan here,i picked some up of the 28 Race D's they have on sale.liked the 25's I used in the past and wanted to try the new 28's..i didn't measure but appear to be a true 28mm tire.i trust panaracer more than any other tire I've used in 31 years of cycling