PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Canti Cross Fork Recommendation?

mistermo
07-19-2017, 07:58 PM
Looking for straight steerer (not tapered) carbon fork for a cross bike with cantis. This will go on a Ritchey Breakaway cross frame, and I'd like to do my best to avoid fork chatter.

I've got a AlphaQ CX20 on a Moots PX and think it's a pretty decent fork, yet it has minimal chatter. I am considering:

Newest, full carbon Ritchey. I like the curved, rather than straight, look of the Ritchey. This would be my first choice if I knew it was a good, solid, non-chattering fork.

Moots carbon fork. I snagged a new carbon Moots fork. Never used. I believe it's got a hole for a cable hanger in the crown. But I'm tempted to put this on the Moots PX

ENVE carbon fork. I've used these in the past, and they work well too.

Alpha Q CX20. On the Moots, works well enough, but hoping for something better.
Anyone have any advice or experience to offer? Moots fork experience? Ritchey carbon CX fork experience?

Thanks.

sales guy
07-19-2017, 08:16 PM
If you can find one, which there aren't many out there, the Reynolds CX fork is beyond nice. My fav.
If I had to get a different one, it'd be the Ritchey.

thwart
07-19-2017, 08:39 PM
If you can find one, which there aren't many out there, the Reynolds CX fork is beyond nice. My fav.
If I had to get a different one, it'd be the Ritchey.

I have the Reynolds CX fork on my PsychloX, and have used the curved Ritchey fork (albeit the older ~ 2010 version) in the past on my Specialized CX bike... the Reynolds is very, very nice, but not chatter-proof. Better than the Ritchey, for sure.

From my experience, I think chatter is more about the brake set-up than finding the elusive 'perfect' fork... try KoolStop salmon pads and don't hesitate to use some significant toe-in.

That said, if you have access to a front brake hole (rare on carbon forks), you can mount your cable stop down there... and that really helps.

572cv
07-19-2017, 08:51 PM
Another approach is to use Minimotos or the like on the front. I have these on an enve cross fork, works great, no chatter.

kingpin75s
07-19-2017, 09:27 PM
From my experience, I think chatter is more about the brake set-up than finding the elusive 'perfect' fork... try KoolStop salmon pads and don't hesitate to use some significant toe-in.

That said, if you have access to a front brake hole (rare on carbon forks), you can mount your cable stop down there... and that really helps.

From my experience, testing and supported by conversations with a former Salsa engineer chatter is generally about the flex in your steerer tube if you place a canti hanger above your headset.

This is consistent with your recommendation on moving the hanger down.

Generally if you have a carbon or Ti steerer, you will likely get chatter with canti brakes. My Vicious steel CX fork is my only chatter proof cx fork regardless of brake setup.

Minimoto V style breaks as mentioned eliminate the issue as well.

That said, the Reynolds Carbon CX forks are very nice. I am sticking with steel so I have a Reynolds CX one with long steerer available if interested.

sales guy
07-19-2017, 09:38 PM
That said, the Reynolds Carbon CX forks are very nice. I am sticking with steel so I have a Reynolds CX one with long steerer available if interested.

How long a steerer? How clean is it? I might be interested.

tuscanyswe
07-19-2017, 11:30 PM
I used the moots cx fork and it was a very nice fork im my opinion. And u cant really beat tje looks of it on a moots px.. so i would put the alpha q on the new ride if i were u. I rode the alpha q a few years ago and never had a problem with chatter pn that either. Both solid forks!

holliscx
07-20-2017, 02:58 AM
Brake chatter has nothing to do with the fork.

On a Breakaway you might be happier with mini Vs

marciero
07-20-2017, 05:10 AM
Not sure if this is WTB but I have an Alpha Q CX-something (I have to check) I would sell. PM me if interested.

Hilltopperny
07-20-2017, 05:17 AM
I'm using an edge canti cross fork and with the brakes set up proper no longer have any chatter under my 200lb self. I'm assuming the newer enve version should work well. I have a sintema carbon cross fork that looks identical to the ritchie sitting in the shed that the edge replaced.

I had some chatter with the sintema, but I'm pretty sure now that it had more to do with how I set up the brakes than the fork itself.