PDA

View Full Version : American Classic Hubs

sevencyclist
09-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Does anyone have experience with American Classic road hubs? How do they compare to Campy or DT Swiss 240?

I love the shiny silver of Phil Wood, but understand they are not Campy compatible. Thanks.

stevep
09-01-2006, 04:58 PM
ac hubs are not in the class w/ dt, campy or shimano hubs.

Chad Engle
09-01-2006, 05:29 PM
get them because the are the sweetest hubs on earth. :cool:

dirtdigger88
09-01-2006, 05:49 PM
well . . . THAT settles THAT!!!

Jason

dbrk
09-01-2006, 06:18 PM
I routinely use Shimano and Campagnolo 10 speed wheels using both current shifting systems and detect no loss of performance. This is a real world assessment, not based on numbers or what the manuals or company propaganda tells you. Is your mechanic up to it? That's my only question.

dbrk

zap
09-02-2006, 02:15 AM
Plenty of AC experience.

Front AC hub is nice.

The AC rear hub on the other hand does not compare to Campy or DT or several other rear hubs.

weiwentg
09-02-2006, 07:16 AM
they are very light, but the bearings are quite small, and may or may not be sufficiently durable. I had a rear hub completely fail on me, the bearings seized up. the front hub on the set is OK - you can feel some roughness in the bearings, but it's still perfectly usable. the set had some exposure to rain. if you want AC hubs, try to keep them dry, I guess. the weight is hard to beat, but I would have to say that they don't compare in quality to Campy's finest.

catulle
09-02-2006, 07:33 AM
I have a set of wheels with AC hubs. My other wheels have Record hubs. I'd never buy AC hubs again. I don't like them. I think they are way below Record in quality. The AC skewers are outright bad; the rear one almost gets me killed. The more stuff I try, the more I'm convinced to stick to what I've used forever: CAMPAGNOLO. If it works, don't fix it...!

ericspin
09-02-2006, 08:39 AM
If you are a Campy guy check out the White Ind. hubs. Shiny silver like Phil. I have them on my Kirk and I love 'em.

Fixed
09-02-2006, 09:02 AM
ac hubs are not in the class w/ dt, campy or shimano hubs.
what he said
if you only care about weight get them
if you want a hub you don't have to check every ride don't get them
and i ride with shook every week
cheers

wild bill goes gah-gah over c.k. hubs
i think he likes the sound