PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't cycling have more group buys? (or am I just missing them?)

MattTuck
07-19-2017, 12:39 PM
It seems like equipment and clothing would be a good segment for group buy type set-ups like Massdrop.

Am I just missing these or is there a reason we don't see more of them?

If you're not familiar with the term group buys, it is when a manufacturer takes a bunch of preorders for a special run of a product, and then there is a delay while they are manufactured, and then they're sent direct to the customers who ordered them.

ColonelJLloyd
07-19-2017, 12:45 PM
I'm guessing because waiting and/or herding cats for a 15-20% discount isn't really an attractive proposition.

hollowgram5
07-19-2017, 12:47 PM
I participated in one, here on the forum actually. It's part of what prompted me to join and become more engaged.

It was for backing plates for Campy bar ends to be used as downtube shifters. I still haven't used them, but I have them for when I decide to!

MattTuck
07-19-2017, 12:49 PM
True, though some components and frames come in above $2,000. I'd think there'd be demand. A special run of all city mr. pinks, or something like that... I don't know. Maybe there is a complication with sizes on frames.

On the flip-side, I wonder if someone like ergott or Peter did some sort of bulk buy/build, there'd be some economies of scale for the wheel builder that could be shared between him and the customers.

jmoore
07-19-2017, 01:03 PM
There are group buys for Paceline schwag a few times a year. Socks and caps and headset caps, etc.

For wheelbuilders, the work is the same regardless of 1 or 100 wheels. Saving money on components would be nice but really $15 off a rim is barely worth talking about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

MattTuck
07-19-2017, 01:13 PM
There are group buys for Paceline schwag a few times a year. Socks and caps and headset caps, etc.

For wheelbuilders, the work is the same regardless of 1 or 100 wheels. Saving money on components would be nice but really $15 off a rim is barely worth talking about.

Yeah, and for little novelties, kickstarter has some stuff.

pdmtong
07-19-2017, 03:00 PM
When I first joined the forum a member put in a group buy for Sidi ergo 2 which was the top shoe at the time. If course that set me on a path of knowing there is a difference

EDS
07-19-2017, 03:55 PM
It seems like equipment and clothing would be a good segment for group buy type set-ups like Massdrop.

Am I just missing these or is there a reason we don't see more of them?

If you're not familiar with the term group buys, it is when a manufacturer takes a bunch of preorders for a special run of a product, and then there is a delay while they are manufactured, and then they're sent direct to the customers who ordered them.

Well, this basically happens all the time with cycling team/club kit orders and the like.

Ralph
07-19-2017, 05:08 PM
There is so much stuff available to the buyer from all over the world VIA Internet......who cares?

commonguy001
07-19-2017, 05:24 PM
When I first joined the forum a member put in a group buy for Sidi ergo 2 which was the top shoe at the time. If course that set me on a path of knowing there is a difference

I still have a pro of Ergo2 kicks and swear they're better than anything I've bought since.

When I raced I always did the team pre order stuff for consumables and kits pretty regularly but haven't ever done a online group buy.

oldpotatoe
07-19-2017, 05:35 PM

Miche or 5800 hubs laced to DT460 using Sapim Race spokes and SecureLock nipples $375 plus ship....latest 'wheel deal'...