PDA

View Full Version : Tim Wellens rejects TUE

Veloo
07-18-2017, 09:22 PM
Hmmm....

http://road.cc/content/news/226131-tour-de-france-rider-abandons-race-after-rejecting-therapeutic-use-exemption

Bruce K
07-19-2017, 05:45 AM
He made a choice and I am sure it was not easy. Most would have gone with the TUE and kept racing.

As is pointed out, TUEs have become pretty ridiculous as athletes have used them to circumvent the doping rules.

It stinks that as a result, athletes that legitimately need to use a TUE to compete are starting to feel that their use constitutes a stain on their reputation.

BK

jlwdm
07-19-2017, 06:18 AM
I would not give him so much credit. He was probably toast and was not going to make it the rest of the way. The team is doing nothing. Bennett is out and Gesink does not have great form.

Jeff

BdaGhisallo
07-19-2017, 06:43 AM
I would not give him so much credit. He was probably toast and was not going to make it the rest of the way. The team is doing nothing. Bennett is out and Gesink does not have great form.

Jeff

Different teams - Wellens rides for Lotto Soudal (the Belgian team sponsored by theBelgian national lottery) while Bennett and Gesink ride for Lotto NL - Jumbo (the Dutch team sponsored by the Dutch national lottery).

Dave B
07-19-2017, 07:11 AM
Who knows, maybe he is making a stand and what if...just what if it were to catch on?

Or...there is an entirely unspoken reason and he just needed to scoot out before...

happycampyer
07-19-2017, 07:22 AM
Who knows, maybe he is making a stand and what if...just what if it were to catch on?

Or...there is an entirely unspoken reason and he just needed to scoot out before...
The sad part of the whole affair (i.e., professional cycling) is that it's hard not to be cynical.

BdaGhisallo
07-19-2017, 07:37 AM

I recall Phil Liggett having it completely backwards during yesterday's broadcast, saying that the rider wanted the TUE to continue and that his team wouldn't support his application for one.