PDA

View Full Version : Stopped watching the Tour and don't miss it

Bruce K
07-18-2017, 06:09 PM
So I realized that I did not each today's stage or Sunday's and that I neither miss it or care anymore.

I am not sure when I lost interest. Maybe the ridiculous, arbitrary jury d visions/penalties. Maybe the lack of (for me) exciting racing or compelling stories.

It just seems bland this year.

Anyone else feeling that way?

BK

jlwdm
07-18-2017, 06:18 PM
I disagree. You missed a great stage today. Excellent racing from the start.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
07-18-2017, 06:26 PM
So I realized that I did not each today's stage or Sunday's and that I neither miss it or care anymore.

I am not sure when I lost interest. Maybe the ridiculous, arbitrary jury d visions/penalties. Maybe the lack of (for me) exciting racing or compelling stories.

BK

Ya 'might' want to decide after Wednesday and Thursday's stages. Top 5 guys VERY close and these days are big big mtn days. But...game of inches, and seconds, team dynamics, etc...I enjoy watching the Giro and TdF...

But I like baseball too.:)

Llewellyn
07-18-2017, 06:26 PM
I lost interest about a week ago - seems like another Sky procession to Paris.....yawn. Don't miss it either.

Ken Robb
07-18-2017, 06:30 PM
I have never been able to get interested in watching bicycle races like the Tour. To me it's even worse than NASCAR with competitors all in a boring row for hours until there's a crash. OTOH clips of a sprint finish are fun to see without investing hours watching the "action" leading up to them.
I sorta posted this to tweak real race fans. :banana:

hokoman
07-18-2017, 06:34 PM
I actually feel like it's way more interesting this year than it has been in many.

Climb01742
07-18-2017, 06:39 PM
I'm in the camp of 'this year is pretty good'. I'm enjoying watching. And I actually think Bob and Christian and Jens are doing good commentary. But don't get me started on Phil. Ouch. Hope next year is sans Phil.

rustychisel
07-18-2017, 06:47 PM
Watching Matthews chase down the green jersey points last night was enthralling. Robbie McEwen as commentator nails the analysis every time, almost makes up for how dull co-host Keenan is.

Anarchist
07-18-2017, 07:37 PM
I quit watching the Tour years ago. It is mind numbingly dull, and the lack of anyone willing to take a flyer rather than just join the procession destroys it.

I listen to the odd podcast or read the summary but don't watch.

I do watch the Vuelta, or parts of it. Also the Giro.

The Tour is a dead end.

jlwdm
07-18-2017, 07:54 PM
If you want to see the best teams and the best riders you watch the Tour.

Jeff

enr1co
07-18-2017, 08:37 PM
The UCI jury calls have been bad this yr but will watch the tour or anything cycling if available on TV. Will always like Phil and Paul. Could do without hearing from Steve perino or Schlanger.

Seramount
07-18-2017, 08:42 PM
bitching about the Tour being boring is really annoying...

if the time-honored spectacle that is the TdF is not entertaining to you, just turn off the tv.

this year's race has provided ample drama and excitement.

don't get the point in ragging on something that many people enjoy.

Ralph
07-18-2017, 08:51 PM
My family records the race every AM, and we all watch it together in late afternoon and evening. FF thru the commercials.

We may not be the most educated on bicycle racing, but we sure enjoy watching.....the scenery, towns, roads, people, rivers, today some horses, we like all that local stuff. Fascinating to us.

John H.
07-18-2017, 09:25 PM
To each his own- I won't try to talk the haters into watching.

But it has been a good bike race.

The best way to watch it is live on NBC Sports gold. It is no commercials with Robbie McEwan doing the color. He is interesting and actually knows the riders and knows what is happening in the race.

Phil only knows how to read cue cards.

FlashUNC
07-18-2017, 09:32 PM

Jeff

*cough*...the Monuments...*cough*

berserk87
07-18-2017, 09:39 PM
It's been an odd TDF. I get what the OP is saying about the blandness. Here are some observations, for and against that assertion:

This year's TDF is bland because:

1. The break seems doomed on any flat stage. Unless the stage has some significant climbs, the peloton has not missed the mark so far in reeling in the break. It's more fun when the peloton goofs at least once per grand tour.

2. Kittel seems to be a lock to win any flat stage (but for the one which Arnaud Dumaure won). That seems anticlimactic and dull, as compelling viewing goes.

3. There is a lingering sense that Froome and the Sky mafia are going to pull off another win, in the same ways as in prior years. A big part of the joy derived from sport is its unpredictability - this ain't it.

4. Porte got hurt, again; Sagan got the boot; Cavendish got smooshed; - some of my favorite riders to watch are not there.

This year's TDF is great because:

1. It's the closest TDF in history, with 4 riders being within 35 seconds of each other as of a few days ago.

2. Dan Martin's aggressiveness is awesome to watch. He's kind of nutty, and his teeth are kinda hard to look at, but he gives 100% all of the time.

3. On the few "classic strong man stages", the field is wide open since Sagan's departure. Michael Matthews won two of these, but VanAvermaet, Eddie B-H, John Degenkolb, Phil Gilbert were all mixing it up too.

4. The return of Cannondale as a factor has been fun to watch, after a year of having no results in any race that mattered (well, I am rolling in the Tour of California into this too, I guess).

There are other reasons for either side I reckon. I wanted to keep the yin and the yang balanced with 4 apiece.

jghall
07-18-2017, 09:57 PM
My family records the race every AM, and we all watch it together in late afternoon and evening.

Personally a fan, regardless of what's going on, but this alone is worth watching. Even if it's a show about watching paint drying. Kudos.

weisan
07-18-2017, 10:03 PM
I enjoyed watching the tour every year, no exception.

Black Dog
07-18-2017, 10:48 PM

Jeff

If you want to see the best grand tour you watch the Giro or Vuelta.

rustychisel
07-18-2017, 11:07 PM
Have watched all three at times, but the French have the best package put together, including the info, the views etc.
Agree that sometimes - sometimes - the Giro has the best racing, but the TDF is becoming sharp this year (if you can overlook the obvious that Froome is going to secure #4 barring an unforseen incident) and watch the other plots as they unfold. Or just watch it for the chateaux (having been to France 4 times I believe they're always building them. Even the old ones. It's a tourist thing)

Ti Designs
07-19-2017, 04:29 AM
Why is it so unusual to not watch or care about the tour? I work at a bike shop, so I'm exposed to cyclists all day long, which makes it damn hard to know nothing about what's going on. people will ask me if I saw the last stage, I'll say no (I only watch the rest day), then they'll proceed to explain what happened. That I don't know who any of these people are makes no sense to them - doesn't everyone know who [insert name of tour rider] is? It's a lot like listening to people at the supermarket talking about characters on daytime TV, as if they lived down the street.

Instead of watching the tour, I've really gotten into the local cycling scene. Getting my legs ripped off by kids half my age is a lot like watching the uber-dopers crush the rest of the field in the tour, but it's real. What's more important to me is that it's first person. I listen to people talk about what happened in the tour, they argue about what people did or should have done. In a local competitive group ride, each person plays their hand and everyone knows what the outcome was. The perspective is so different, it's impossible to really explain. Being in a group sprint and watching the pros sprint have almost nothing in common.

Bruce K
07-19-2017, 05:41 AM
I don't believe I said I hated the Tour. Maybe others do.

It's just that for some reason, this year has turned into something pretty unwatchable for me.

Maybe I tuned out too early, as some have suggested, or maybe it's part of the TP discussion about personalities vs lack of personalities.....

I just can't seem to get as "into it" in these last stages.

BK

jlwdm
07-19-2017, 06:26 AM
My work partner and her husband do not care about cycling, but since I do, I bought a bicycle for their oldest daughter's 3rd birthday in February. Surprisingly, my partner and her daughter are watching every minute of every stage each evening.

Jeff

jlwdm
07-19-2017, 06:30 AM
If you want to see the best grand tour you watch the Giro or Vuelta.

I guess a different version of best. The Giro and Vuelta do not have the best riders, the best riders peaking, the strongest teams or the pressure of the Tour.

Jeff

Ray
07-19-2017, 06:37 AM
I get sucked in every year. Froome may win it in the TT, but he's probably gonna HAVE to win it in the TT this year, which makes it much less of a foregone conclusion than it has been. They've been hurting him on the climbs and he's gutting it out, but he's far from dominant this year. It'd have been better if Porte was still in it, but it's still pretty good. And nice to see some French riders stepping up again too.

I barely ride anymore, but I consider $40 / year for the NBC Gold package one of the best small expenditures I've made this year. Getting to see the Tour without commercials or Phaul and with all of the other racing it offers feels like a great deal to me.

-Ray

Black Dog
07-19-2017, 06:59 AM
I guess a different version of best. The Giro and Vuelta do not have the best riders, the best riders peaking, the strongest teams or the pressure of the Tour.

Jeff

It's a bike race and the racing is better. Since pro sports is an entertainment business, these two races are certainly more entertaining along with the monuments. Now get rid of race radios and power meters and the tour will get a lot more entertaining.

chiasticon
07-19-2017, 07:11 AM
honestly road racing in general is boring to watch, for me. the exception in the tour is when they really get to the mountains and start putting the hurt on each other (even if it is just Sky controlling it; the tension still makes it worth watching). flat tour stages are generally snooze-fests. or even the three hours leading up to the final climb on a mountain stage, usually. spring racing is generally much more exciting to watch, or at least the cobbled classics are. but I'll watch every single pro cyclocross race I can get my hands on. they're not always full of action, but they frequently are. and it's only an hour.

I will say though that I check into the cycling news feed throughout the stage, while at work and I can't watch, just to see what's happening. it's sometimes more exciting than actually watching the stage. :cool:

thwart
07-19-2017, 08:02 AM
Spring racing is generally much more exciting to watch, or at least the cobbled classics are.

This.

Mr. Pink
07-19-2017, 08:06 AM
My family records the race every AM, and we all watch it together in late afternoon and evening. FF thru the commercials.

We may not be the most educated on bicycle racing, but we sure enjoy watching.....the scenery, towns, roads, people, rivers, today some horses, we like all that local stuff. Fascinating to us.

Yup, seconded. Awesome scenery. Last year MSNBC covered the Vuelta, and I got to see parts of Spain that I probably never will see anywhere else by helicopter and motorcycle on my big flat screen. I would pay to see the Giro that way. Please, please, please.

zlin
07-19-2017, 08:11 AM
But I like baseball too.:)

HA! ^^ I thought baseball was only played in late October for two weeks.

PQJ
07-19-2017, 08:36 AM
Individual stages are often always (contradiction there intended) fun, both for the racing and the scenery and joie de vivre. How can they not be? But, to me at least, Tours of recent vintage, GC-wise, have been dull as can be and my interest has waned. I write this mid-17th stage in Tour that, GC-wise, has been dull but could still end up being good (or great).

dgauthier
07-19-2017, 09:27 AM
I used to religiously record every stage of every race (I think I liked the Giro even better than the Tour), but I haven't watched for several years now. All the doping revelations have dampened my enthusiasm for the professional side of the sport.

fignon's barber
07-19-2017, 05:27 PM
I love the Tour. Not really interested in the riders. The landscape, the heritage, the fans....yes. Watching skeletal physio lab specimens follow each other around France...not so much. Look at the riders of the 1990's compared to today: far more exciting characters. When Froome and D.Martin are your showman, you're in trouble.

jlwdm
07-19-2017, 09:13 PM
I love the Tour. Not really interested in the riders. The landscape, the heritage, the fans....yes. Watching skeletal physio lab specimens follow each other around France...not so much. Look at the riders of the 1990's compared to today: far more exciting characters. When Froome and D.Martin are your showman, you're in trouble.

Dan Martin has been pretty exciting if you ask me.

Jeff

Plum Hill
07-19-2017, 09:33 PM
I'm a sucker for European scenery, especially Switzerland.
Today's stage was great, from both scenic and competition perspectives.

fiamme red
07-22-2017, 10:04 PM

BKYou didn't miss much compelling drama this year.