PDA

View Full Version : Any issues with 2 piece seatposts?

drewellison
07-18-2017, 03:48 PM
I've been shopping for a seatpost. There are nice ones which are all one piece forged jobbies, and usually pretty expensive. But I also like the looks of some two piece seatposts like this one. (And they're also a lot less expensive, usually.)

Anybody have any issues with creaking or separation where the cap part is glued to the post part?

R3awak3n
07-18-2017, 03:56 PM
no problems on any 2 piece seatpost I ever used.

MagicHour
07-18-2017, 04:04 PM
Should be fine. I've had no problems with my lower end Deda Zero 1,2 etc components. Good value/weight, aesthetics, function etc.

drewellison
07-18-2017, 04:29 PM
Thanks, all.

I really do like the looks of this particular post. It's pretty darn inexpensive (my boss at the LBS taught us all to not say it's cheap, but to say it's inexpensive) and it'd fit well with my gruppo.

I'm not worried about weight at all.

Drew

Bob Ross
07-18-2017, 04:39 PM
my boss at the LBS taught us all to not say it's cheap, but to say it's inexpensive

You should try springing "value-engineered" on your next client.
:banana:

bicycletricycle
07-18-2017, 04:56 PM
I have had a dura ace two piece post break at the seam and almost tear me a new hole.

MikeD
07-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Had a Sugino post crack the aluminum shafts where the top was pressed in. Had a Bontrager post creak. Soaked the inside with linseed oil and that fixed it.

Hilltopperny
07-18-2017, 06:06 PM
I have had an oval two piece that came on a bike I bought spin around on me. Not a fan of the two piece design. Better off buying a used one piece set up.

MagicHour
07-18-2017, 06:17 PM
FYI - if below comments concern you :butt:: Deda RSX-02 is a one piece design for about $10 more and comes in BOB graphics. I have one and it's pretty nice, 257g for a 350mm/27.2 Will go on incoming frame I'm building up if the setback works for me.

http://chainreactioncycles.scene7.com/is/image/ChainReactionCycles/prod120968_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=505

I have had a dura ace two piece post break at the seam and almost tear me a new hole.

Had a Sugino post crack the aluminum shafts where the top was pressed in. Had a Bontrager post creak. Soaked the inside with linseed oil and that fixed it.

I have had an oval two piece that came on a bike I bought spin around on me. Not a fan of the two piece design. Better off buying a used one piece set up.

Ken Robb
07-18-2017, 06:40 PM
You should try springing "value-engineered" on your next client.
:banana:
Cracks me up. As a new Army Ordnance Corps 2nd LT. I worked in the Value Engineering Department at Army Missile Command. Oh, the stories I could tell! Wait, when do the restrictions required for my Top Secret Clearance expire? 50 year-old secrets can't be worth anything can they? :-)

sales guy
07-18-2017, 07:08 PM
it depends on the way they're designed. some 2 piece posts are excellent. Suntour used to have a pin in them to make sure they didn't move. 99% of them just use a press and glue method. And yes, they can creak. We had issues at AMC and that's why we switched back to 1 piece for a bit. And then changed the design and then got rid of overall. We were stocking 2 piece ones for Fuji and we had way too may issues.

Overall, stick with a 1 piece. It's not much more cost wise and the safety cap is better.

donevwil
07-18-2017, 07:14 PM
I also had the adhesive on a Dura Ace post give up. Was left with a swivel post for the remaining 50 miles, at least my anatomy remained intact.

Peter P.
07-18-2017, 07:51 PM
I've had two, two-piece seatposts do the Linda Blair routine on me.