PDA

View Full Version : Way out there OT, Recurring Credit Card Processing

rockdude
07-18-2017, 09:22 AM
I have an elderly friend that manages a self storage facility and has been doing it the same way for 35 years. He spend most of his time trying to collect payments. Its tough to get people now days to mail in a check every month. I told him I would help setup a recurring payment system. Does anyone have any experience in using a recurring payment system for Credit Cards and / or bank withdraws?

Thanks.
John

echelon_john
07-18-2017, 10:52 AM
Check out BrainTree/Paypal; user friendly, reasonable costs.

rockdude
07-19-2017, 07:46 AM
Check out BrainTree/Paypal; user friendly, reasonable costs.

I researched options yesterday and there are a ton of them but paypal looks to be one of the better ones.

FlashUNC
07-19-2017, 11:05 AM
If folks are sending in checks and he wants to continue a similar process, his account should be able to accept ACH payments from customers. Basically they just set him up as a customer on their auto-bill pay on their personal account and he gets the funds monthly.

Its a tad clunky and maybe not super timely, but if he's driving checks to a bank branch once a month something that isn't super efficient is maybe not that high on his priority list.

The downside to card acceptance -- through PayPal/Square/any bank's merchant services business -- is it introduces the risk for chargebacks he'll then have to contend with. That zero fraud liability we all enjoy on our cards means he bears some responsibility for knowing his customer, but also will have to deal with the hassle if/when someone tells their card company to fight the charge.

An ACH/bill pay setup from his customers might be the best way to go.