PDA

View Full Version : HRM Contact Cream

Mud
09-01-2006, 10:59 AM
I seem to be a fast evaporator which does not help the HRM. Since the weather in the NE is cool now the HRM will not work well until I switch to a windblock shirt. Therefoe I am considering investing $8 in some HRM contact cream. Performance has something and there is a cream at another MO house. Any thoughts on which one works.

On another topic, now that the tubies off I will stretch some new ones and leave them on spare rims (She has custom made 303s). My wife rode her Campy/Sun/ContiSprinter wheels and made two comments: "These brake better". "They feel faster". :confused:

Ozz
09-01-2006, 11:08 AM
I seem to be a fast evaporator which does not help the HRM. Since the weather in the NE is cool now the HRM will not work well until I switch to a windblock shirt. Therefoe I am considering investing $8 in some HRM contact cream. Performance has something and there is a cream at another MO house. Any thoughts on which one works....
spit works too....

Too Tall
09-01-2006, 12:06 PM
Shave the contact points.

Fat Robert
09-01-2006, 12:33 PM
chuck the hrm

listen to the bod

Mud
09-01-2006, 12:43 PM
No chest shaving. It is where my hair migrated from my head. Just got the new tires mounted on the spare rims. Used my Pedros DH tire iron-secret weapon. 24 hours from now-assuming we get the monsoon predicted-I will mount them on her Zips-but not with the tire iron in case anyone asks.

Nor will I use spit as suggested. I have poured water on it from the bottle and it still evapaorates and I lose the signal.

It is not really important except that the HRM has to work so that the Polar calculates calories. Now I don't need to be told that it is inaccurate. I know that. But I have three months to go before I can go back to using the big ring and trying to get up some speed. We are doing 12 mph on hilly loops where we were doing over 14 before my surgery.

So the computer tells me I am old and slow. If my wife leads that also tells me I am old and slow, so at least the Polar tells me I burned off a few calories.

It is so hard getting older. I got measured at the Dr last week and am 5'9 5/8". I used to be 5'101/2". This might have been caused by migrating hair but I doubt it.

Hopefully some has used one of the products so I don't have to have the electrodes implanted to get a good reading. :)

SoCalSteve
09-01-2006, 01:03 PM
No chest shaving. It is where my hair migrated from my head. Just got the new tires mounted on the spare rims. Used my Pedros DH tire iron-secret weapon. 24 hours from now-assuming we get the monsoon predicted-I will mount them on her Zips-but not with the tire iron in case anyone asks.

Nor will I use spit as suggested. I have poured water on it from the bottle and it still evapaorates and I lose the signal.

It is not really important except that the HRM has to work so that the Polar calculates calories. Now I don't need to be told that it is inaccurate. I know that. But I have three months to go before I can go back to using the big ring and trying to get up some speed. We are doing 12 mph on hilly loops where we were doing over 14 before my surgery.

So the computer tells me I am old and slow. If my wife leads that also tells me I am old and slow, so at least the Polar tells me I burned off a few calories.

It is so hard getting older. I got measured at the Dr last week and am 5'9 5/8". I used to be 5'101/2". This might have been caused by migrating hair but I doubt it.

Hopefully some has used one of the products so I don't have to have the electrodes implanted to get a good reading. :)

Why would you think that it is inaccurate? If you put in your age, weight, height, sex, VO2 Max, etc.. then it can calculate calories expended accurately.

As for the contact points, I am sure that the cream wwill help. Polar reccomends it. Also, if you have the cloth version strap (the one where you can snap off the battery part from the cloth strap) then you can throw the strap part in the wash with your clothing and that will help keep the contact points clean.

Good luck!

Steve

Too Tall
09-01-2006, 01:06 PM
I really don't have a way with words sometimes....to be clear...DO shave your chest where the HRM contacs are located r/l of sternal notch. Hairshirt...geshundheit!

Mud
09-01-2006, 01:14 PM
because I work a lot harder on the Computrainer which measures power and really does not need the built in HRM. The results are much higher with the Polar, but it makes me feel good.

SoCalSteve
09-01-2006, 01:17 PM
because I work a lot harder on the Computrainer which measures power and really does not need the built in HRM. The results are much higher with the Polar, but it makes me feel good.

I'd go with that then!...LOL

Steve

chrisroph
09-01-2006, 01:43 PM
The contact gel works great. I bought a large tube at a medical supply house years ago for a fraction of the cost of repackeped stuff sold by performance et al. It is the same stuff used for ultrasounds. You will notice that the monitor works much more consistently with the gel.

Ozz
09-01-2006, 01:52 PM
The contact gel works great. I bought a large tube at a medical supply house years ago for a fraction of the cost of repackeped stuff sold by performance et al. It is the same stuff used for ultrasounds. You will notice that the monitor works much more consistently with the gel.
ebay:Ultrasonic Ultrasound Massager Gel, Lot of 2. S A V E ! Item number: 280022020701

Buy it Now price: US $6.95 + $5.95 shipping

half litre total...

not mine...just thought I would help. :beer:

Or a gallon for $22.50

http://www.medexsupply.com/categories/cp-32_110/LotionsGels.htm?gclid=CPT45LmOjYcCFT60IgodJnJx7Q

09-01-2006, 02:15 PM
The gel helps, but unless you are perspiring a reasonable amount, it'll dry on your skin in the breeze and you may still have the same problem.

Are you sure you have the monitor positioned properly on your chest? Even when it's dry and you're getting dressed to go out (i.e., nothing to help conductivity), it still works for most people. But if you're a couple inches out of position, .... no signal.

And if you're having problems with getting conductivity, I would avoid washing the strap on the new Wearlink version. The reason is that the salt helps improve conductivity, plus it tends to attract moisture so it's always premoistened slightly for immediate use. I've ridden one transmitter all winter long on the rollers and not had to deal with corrosion or any other problems -- wash it from time to time just for hygienic purposes, but otherwise just let it be.

Mud
09-01-2006, 03:33 PM
I should have thought of that myself having had two EKGs recently along with too many sonograms on my body parts. (Fortuneately I am not pregnant). I do appreciate the help. Now if one of you had some influence on the weather gods in the NE it would help.

Dekonick
09-01-2006, 08:55 PM
Other things that greatly improve EKG's

1) clean your skin where the electrodes will go (go buy a box of alcohol wipes)
get any dead skin, lotion, whatever off.

2) Lightly scrape the skin (you can just wipe the area with a dry piece of guaze - essentially scraping the skin)

3) shave if you need to

4) use ekg or ultrasound gel. A little salt will work in a pinch

5) make sure you have good contact between your skin and the electrode. Adjust the band as needed.

- when obtaining ekg's for work, I find the biggest improvement in tracing quality - and most often not done - comes from skin preperation.

good luck!