PDA

View Full Version : Paul Racer M, that Extra Little Bit I Need?

Lovetoclimb
07-17-2017, 06:52 PM
I have a folding road bike that was designed to maximize the room under Campy 11 brake calipers. I continue to push the envelope most recently discovering a 32mm Continental tire is just too big, as in when the brake is actuated the tire fits!

So my next possibility is to attempt the Paul Racer M brakes with the center-mount option ...

My questions for the brain trust are:
1) will these brakes give me the 1-2mm extra height under the front brake that I need?
2) will they work well with Campy 11 levers?

Already tried Grand Cru calipers but they are too big, bike was not designed for anything beyond standard reach. Pads were hitting below the rim track even at the "highest" setting.

eddief
07-17-2017, 06:58 PM
I did this experiment on my Casseroll. Could not get 32 knobby Panaracer Gravel Kings under my Tektro medium reach front brake. Then installed the M and had an extra at least 2mm maybe more. Same cable pull as my Shimano Sti levers and I guess that's the same as Campy.

Not sure my brain is to be trusted.

I have a folding road bike that was designed to maximize the room under Campy 11 brake calipers. I continue to push the envelope most recently discovering a 32mm Continental tire is just too big, as in when the brake is actuated the tire fits!

So my next possibility is to attempt the Paul Racer M brakes with the center-mount option ...

1) will these brakes give me the 1-2mm extra height under the front brake that I need?

choke
07-17-2017, 07:15 PM
Already tried Grand Cru calipers but they are too big, bike was not designed for anything beyond standard reach. Pads were hitting below the rim track even at the "highest" setting.Given this info I doubt the Racer Ms will work either. Velo Orange doesn't list a medium reach brake but their 'long reach' is actually a medium...and the 47-57mm reach is the same as the Racer M.

eddief
07-17-2017, 07:23 PM
is a medium reach 47-57 brake. Is it not?

choke
07-17-2017, 07:35 PM
is a medium reach 47-57 brake. Is it not?Yes, it is. But since the Grand Cru was too long for his bike then the Racer M should have the same problem.

eddief
07-17-2017, 07:52 PM

According to this blog from BMC there is a lot of variation in clearance among med. reach brakes. We need more info about standard reach.

http://blackmtncycles.com/clearance-pt-ii-road-frames/

Yes, it is. But since the Grand Cru was too long for his bike then the Racer M should have the same problem.

choke
07-17-2017, 08:18 PM

According to this blog from BMC there is a lot of variation in clearance among med. reach brakes. We need more info about standard reach.

http://blackmtncycles.com/clearance-pt-ii-road-frames/Sure, clearance varies. But the problem in fitting Racer Ms on his frame isn't the clearance, it's the brake reach. His frame was designed for standard reach (39-49mm) so a medium reach (47-57mm) will almost certainly be too long for the pads to hit the rims properly....there's only 2mm of overlap there. If the pads were all the way down in the standard reach - where it actually used 49mm - then in theory the medium would fit with the pads all the way at the top of the slots.

Generally speaking, one can't change from standard reach to medium or medium to long...the frame is designed to fit one reach brake and that's all that will work. The only way to get more clearance under the arms is to try to find a different standard reach brake.

dmurphey
07-17-2017, 09:12 PM

Already tried Grand Cru calipers but they are too big, bike was not designed for anything beyond standard reach. Pads were hitting below the rim track even at the "highest" setting.

I have Paul Racer M's with Campy Chorus 11 on an all rounder Indy Fab road bike that runs 700 x 28's on road and 700 x 32 knobbies on mixed/gravel. They are post mounted. They work great. Paul and Indy Fab, the old group in Somerville, made this work when the Recer M's were brand new.