PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Record Aluminum Crank?

saab2000
09-01-2006, 08:59 AM
On cyclingnews.com there is a series of photos from the Eurobike show. In it there is a picture of what looks like a Record crank for next year in aluminum. Someone without a walnut sized brain like my own who knows how to post a link might do so. This crank looks nice.

Too bad the Cannondale I lust after has their own, possibly even better, design.....

Jason E
09-01-2006, 09:09 AM
I do not think it is Record, as I was told Record would only be Carbon. Same for Chorus. I hope I'm wrong.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/tech/shows/eurobike06/eurobike061/EB06-Campy1.jpg

zank
09-01-2006, 09:25 AM
that is Centaur

saab2000
09-01-2006, 09:34 AM
that is Centaur

K

It just looked like Record from the back with the 4 spider arms. Kewl anyway.

djcwardog
09-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Yep... I agree. I have one in my basement (53-39) just waiting for the right 60cm frame. The photo here doesn't do it justice - a work of art! Check out those BB bearings! The next build may be with the 1999 Schwinn Paramount lugged 853 frame I recently won on ebay, or perhaps a similar vintage CSI. I bought a Centaur group (but went for an IRD 11-28 cassette) because it was the best of the 2007 range that sticks with an alloy crank - cool retro look. Note that unlike the Shimano external BB system, you CAN put the new-system Campy crank halves together off by one tooth - if you are a dork! Not unlike folks who install a camshaft in their old-school hot rod motors and get the alignment off by a tooth and wonder why their car runs like crap... Yep, I love to work on old cars too - esp. 454 Corvettes. Anyway, Shimano has the fool-proof plastic tab that drops into place after you put the left arm in correctly and before you tighten the two clamping screws. For my Centaur install, I'll be sure to index the two halves properly!

Mikej
09-01-2006, 09:56 AM
I hate to pi$$ in anyones Wheaties, but that design will go down in history as the biggest *** were they thinking. Sorry, just my 2 cents from a mech eng.

Jason E
09-01-2006, 09:59 AM
I hate to pi$$ in anyones Wheaties, but that design will go down in history as the biggest *** were they thinking. Sorry, just my 2 cents from a mech eng.

Campy tends to test its new product for a long time before the release it. A few seasons or more in some cases. I do not think they will bring something to market (nowadays) that's not ready.

Why?

Marcusaurelius
09-01-2006, 10:00 AM
On cyclingnews.com there is a series of photos from the Eurobike show. In it there is a picture of what looks like a Record crank for next year in aluminum. Someone without a walnut sized brain like my own who knows how to post a link might do so. This crank looks nice.

Too bad the Cannondale I lust after has their own, possibly even better, design.....

Record and Chorus will be carbon and I think it's overpriced carbon (world wide shortage etc.). I much prefer aluminum cranks to carbon because of aesthetics and performance. I am not sure the new centaur looks as good as the old style. I remember everyone thought the new DA 10 speed cranks were ugly but the new campagnolo wouldn't win any beauty contests in my eyes.

stevep
09-01-2006, 10:02 AM
will be interesting to watch....and read the forum when these cranks start to be used.

Mikej
09-01-2006, 10:08 AM
Campy tends to test its new product for a long time before the release it. A few seasons or more in some cases. I do not think they will bring something to market (nowadays) that's not ready.

Why?

OK, I have about 250 years worth of opinion / experience here at mech eng central ( I know not worth much, but we love to argue), everybody thinks the same. Its the worst possible place for connection interface of b.b. due to force etc., its not the connection itself as much as the position, plus the bearings will be receiving a much larger range of load due to flex at connection in center, plus a ton of people will ef them up during assembly. All r&d is percieved, campy was comming out with something no matter what. Think of a tent pole in your bottom bracket. I bet any pros using the interface type are on centaur with carbon tape. Buy those Al's from Total cycling for 135 us$ and save them!

zank
09-01-2006, 10:09 AM

zap
09-01-2006, 10:33 AM
OK, I have about 250 years worth of opinion / experience here at mech eng central ( I know not worth much, but we love to argue), everybody thinks the same. Its the worst possible place for connection interface of b.b. due to force etc., its not the connection itself as much as the position, plus the bearings will be receiving a much larger range of load due to flex at connection in center, plus a ton of people will ef them up during assembly. All r&d is percieved, campy was comming out with something no matter what. Think of a tent pole in your bottom bracket. I bet any pros using the interface type are on centaur with carbon tape. Buy those Al's from Total cycling for 135 us$ and save them!

Since this Hirth joint was originally designed for applications that typically produce far more torque, please explain in detail why you and your engineering buddies think this is a "***" design. Better yet, have you or the other engineers tested this design for bb deflection and compared said deflection data with say, the current Dura Ace set.

I'm not defending this design or any other external bb design. Square bb works fine for me but the hobbyist in me likes some of this engineering stuff.

stevep
09-01-2006, 10:59 AM
a note and a question on the testing.
i read on cycling news ( i thk ) that danilo deluca is one of the first pros riding this new crank and he just won a stage in the vuelta on the crank.
this does not read to me like the usual 1-2 yrs of testing before release. usually these kinds of products are used for a season or more before public release. seems to not be the case here.
the ink will flow on this.

Serotta_Andrew
09-01-2006, 11:27 AM
here is a picture of the Record crank.

Grant McLean
09-01-2006, 11:32 AM
a note and a question on the testing.
i read on cycling news ( i thk ) that danilo deluca is one of the first pros riding this new crank and he just won a stage in the vuelta on the crank.
this does not read to me like the usual 1-2 yrs of testing before release. usually these kinds of products are used for a season or more before public release. seems to not be the case here.
the ink will flow on this.

It's quite possible that it's been tested, but they didn't say anything before now.

You know how it is with the marketing. Once the pro's start riding the new stuff,
a certain segment of consumer instantly stops buying the "old" stuff, and waits
for the next gen. to arrive. Keeping the wraps on product intro's is becoming
harder and harder with the 'net, but the impact on sales of "current year" goods
sell through is a very important factor to consider.

g

Grant McLean
09-01-2006, 11:33 AM
here is a picture of the Record crank.

geeze, my 42/52 rings must be antiques!

g

Mikej
09-01-2006, 11:42 AM
Since this Hirth joint was originally designed for applications that typically produce far more torque, please explain in detail why you and your engineering buddies think this is a "***" design. Better yet, have you or the other engineers tested this design for bb deflection and compared said deflection data with say, the current Dura Ace set.

I'm not defending this design or any other external bb design. Square bb works fine for me but the hobbiest in me likes some of this engineering stuff.

Hirth serrations are generally used for engine shaft coupling and universals, and are a compliment to fasteners at the serration around the circumference, not center of shaft / axle. They may or may not be moment / fulcrum friendly. The serrations allow for additional surface area to distribute torque and clamping force.

zap
09-01-2006, 12:32 PM
This might be of interest to some.

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-005/000.html

shinomaster
09-01-2006, 12:37 PM
THE only thing I don't like the looks of are the external bearing cups, a la shimaNO. Campy has always been so lovely there..

Bill Bove
09-01-2006, 08:01 PM
This might be of interest to some.

http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-005/000.html
Good article Zapperman, I'll be able to ride my new Record cranks with confidence :banana: