PDA

View Full Version : Bars / Stem Combo -- Need Advice

jdesalvo
04-15-2004, 10:30 AM
My new Ottrott frame is due to arrive at my LBS next week. I am trying to decide between the following bar/stem combinations. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1. Easton EC90 Carbon bar with Deda Newton Stem (both 26.0mm)
2. Easton EC90 Carbon bar with Deda Newton Stem (both 31.7mm)
3. Deda Newton Bar and Stem

Kurt
04-15-2004, 10:49 AM
I use the 215/46/ana with a 120 newton/negative (26) on both my frames and am not changing for anything soon - the list on the combo, not that is matters, is $ 200. My hands are mostly on the top bend before the shifters, so the squared off types do not interest me. Your dealer should be able to let you test both without taping to let you get the feel – one setup will call to you. Congratulations and get ready to enjoy the ride of your life.

dirtdigger88
04-15-2004, 11:06 AM
I have never liked the Eastons, I do not like the funky flair at the top, Dedas are too shallow in the drops for my tastes. I am going to have to agree with Kurt here, ride both before tape, you are getting an Ottrott, the shop is going to work with you on this one

jason

Kurt
04-15-2004, 11:31 AM
the 215 comes in 3 designs, anatomic, deep and shallow - this site has some topical info:
http://www.cbike.com/Deda_Elementi.htm
again, it depends on where your hands are most of the time, I use the drops more in crits and longish tt stuff in pacelines, I like to be able to breath so I don’t want the drop too low, closer to the top the better for me – the notion of having a flat comfy surface towards the front of the bar is overblown, imo – one can get used to anything for the small amount of time spent in that position. Now if you ride in the drops all the time, that’s another story – and another issue to deal with I think. Saddles, pedal systems and bars have to be tried out – spend the needed time, those are your only contact points. You did try out campy/da for the difference, did you not? Same deal, the hoods are completely different between the brands – one will call to you and that is the one to use. If you flop you hands over the hood you might like campy better – if you climb out of the saddle and mainly like climbing you might like da better.

jdesalvo
04-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Yeah, picking the other stuff has been fairly easy. I love Campy and so the bike will have Record on it. I have ridden Look pedals for 15 years, so they'll be the pedals of choice. My current rig has TTT Pima bars with a Salsa stem. I am an all-around rider and do a fair amount of climbing (both in and out of the saddle). I used to race a bunch but haven't in 5 years. Will probably do a couple of races later this year. I will be climbing Alpe d'Huez on this bike in July...

bcm119
04-15-2004, 11:44 AM
I would not put a 4-bolt stem on carbon bars. The stresses are more uneven and Easton states that for this reason they don't recommend it. Hogwash or not, I feel better using the 2 bolt, and I can see their point. Its tough to torque all 4 bolts exactly the same, and when there are differences in torque, the stress differential occurs across a very short distance on the bar, which could crack it eventually. I use the easton ea70 stem with my ec90 bars. The ea70 has a nice oval face plate that distributes stress from each bolt evenly across the clamping area.

Kurt
04-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Yeah, picking the other stuff has been fairly easy. I love Campy and so the bike will have Record on it. I have ridden Look pedals for 15 years, so they'll be the pedals of choice. My current rig has TTT Pima bars with a Salsa stem. I am an all-around rider and do a fair amount of climbing (both in and out of the saddle). I used to race a bunch but haven't in 5 years. Will probably do a couple of races later this year. I will be climbing Alpe d'Huez on this bike in July...

Kurt
04-15-2004, 01:18 PM
we are doing it on 07/20 with a bunch of folks - take a peek at this site, nice guy from the UK that lives their now. why not just use TTT Pima bars with a Salsa stem or get something to match up, I never change what works

http://grenoblecycling.free.fr/

jdesalvo
04-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Kurt -- I am doing it with a group on 7/20 as well! I do not remember the name of the tour we are with (a riding buddy of mine set it up). Looks like we'll meet on one of the world's great climbs!

Kurt
04-15-2004, 02:09 PM
I am staying with a pair of cat2's and the guy in the UK runs a *very* high performance cycling tour company. The SO and I are looking to ride with some, shall we say, more normal folks - so how about it, or are you some closet racer? Listen, I go fast plenty in LA most of the time, but I have a week of cycling w/ 20k’+ of gain and some heavy eating and drinking ahead of me and I don’t feel like being blown out on each day of cycling.

I think we should take this off line, send me a msg please.

Kurt -- I am doing it with a group on 7/20 as well! I do not remember the name of the tour we are with (a riding buddy of mine set it up). Looks like we'll meet on one of the world's great climbs!

Kevan
04-15-2004, 02:54 PM
purchased and installed 2001, it has performed without a single concern. I do use a 3T Forgie however.

JackL
04-15-2004, 03:17 PM
I have been using the Easton EC90 bar for a couple of years now, and it is the most comfortable of any of any bar I've tried, and that's quite a few! The the flattened parts behind the hoods and on the drops fit my hands perfectly, and there is also some noticeable deadening of road buzz.

If I could afford it, all my bikes would have this bar. My ITM Millenium stems seem to work fine; I tighten the faceplate just enough to prevent the bars from rotating, but no more.

JackL

jdesalvo
04-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Thanks to all of the input here I have decided to go with the EC90 and the EA70 Stem! Happy riding everyone...

Jason

JohnS
04-15-2004, 03:42 PM
I run the same combo as Kevan. What does this mean??? :crap:

Kevin
04-15-2004, 05:34 PM
I have Easton EC 90 bars and a Ritchey WCS stem on my Ottrott. I like the combination alot. They seem to absorb some of the roadroad buzz. In addition, they fit my hands well. However, bars can be similar to saddles in that everyones definition of comfortable differs.

Kevin