PDA

View Full Version : Seasucker rack

Mr. Pink
07-15-2017, 05:29 PM
Advertised on the tour, and came up in the hitch rack thread. Anybody use one or know somebody who is? Looks awesome for air travel to a rental car and bike somewhere.

rounder
07-15-2017, 05:42 PM
A guy I ride with just bought a single rack that he uses on his wife's car. It is clean looking and he likes it.

I was skeptical about the reliability of the suction cups. He showed me how to pump the air out from under the cups so that t is a tight seal. He said that the rack is designed to hold a bike secure up to 145 mph.

William
07-15-2017, 05:46 PM
All you need to know linked in this thread...

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=179436&highlight=seasucker

Bonus demo material...

140 mph on top of a stock car...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_41Ujjv6WUw

Dirt road run...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sk8yTTmB8A&NR=1&feature=fvwp

William

William
07-15-2017, 05:50 PM
Dang, just noticed that one of my reviews had links to my old photobucket account. Dead links now.:crap:

William

ejanastacio
07-16-2017, 10:26 AM
I've owned a sea sucker mini bomber for about 2 years no problem. Used it in elevation, snow, rain and never had any sort of issue.

SeanScott
07-16-2017, 03:59 PM
I am trying to talk my friend at peloton into doing an article using the Seasucker rack on Supercars from different countries and pair them with unobtainium bikes from the same origin.
We have a pretty epic driving and riding road her in Ojai and I would love to see a handful of pros driving supercars with bikes on the roof up to the peak and the descend down on the bikes with the cars following. I think the visuals would be striking and also a nice comparison of the characteristics and tactile feel of the bikes and cars.

rlanger
07-16-2017, 05:06 PM
Advertised on the tour, and came up in the hitch rack thread. Anybody use one or know somebody who is? Looks awesome for air travel to a rental car and bike somewhere.

I have one and it's awesome. Used it to transport my TT bike a few times from Toronto to Mt. Tremblant, which is about 600kms, so lots of highway driving at speeds over 120km/hr, and never had any issues.

Highly recommend it.

ariw
07-16-2017, 07:42 PM
They are a local brand here, excellent reputation around town. Was cool to see them advertising during the tour coverage.

Ari

Stuart
07-17-2017, 06:09 AM
I'm using the Seasucker rack and have had no issues with it, including long distance drives on hot days. I like that it is quick to fit and remove. And the flexibility it offers was enough for me to take it to Europe to use on a hire car. It was heavy to carry in the luggage, but worth its weight in gold when I was trying to fit kids, luggage and my cycling habit into one car.
One thing to note is that you can't secure it. So I just took my bike down and shoved it in the car when we were stopped for lunch or whatever. I left the rack on the roof. So it was not much of an inconvenience.

Pierre
07-17-2017, 06:37 AM
Same feedback. I've used it on the roof, on rear window, in +30deg C as well as -25deg C. It's a pretty impressive little gizmo and its small size makes it a great rack for travelling with your bike.

Veloo
07-17-2017, 07:35 AM
Where did you Toronto folks get your Seasuckers?

rlanger
07-17-2017, 07:42 AM
Where did you Toronto folks get your Seasuckers?

I bought it directly from SeaSucker online, but had it shipped to my hotel in Boston when I was there for the marathon.

William
07-17-2017, 08:39 AM
...One thing to note is that you can't secure it. So I just took my bike down and shoved it in the car when we were stopped for lunch or whatever. I left the rack on the roof. So it was not much of an inconvenience.

Actually you can, they make a cable lock & anchor for it...

https://seasucker-store.myshopify.com/products/cable-anchor-window

I've used the Seascuker more for local runs and I don't leave it unattended for more than a few minutes. Not a problem because I never seem to need to. I might consider the anchor & cable lock if I was going to leave it for longer periods. I wouldn't leave my bike on any rack over night though.

William

uno-speedo
07-17-2017, 01:21 PM
I've bought one having read the good reviews, though I've not used mine - yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEZyNXQGzv0

SeanScott
07-17-2017, 03:32 PM
One can only dream of the cars that can carry a bike with the Seasucker

cderalow
07-17-2017, 04:31 PM
i want to say they're using suction cups similar to what glass companies/installers use. IN which case, they use similar ones to lift thousands of pounds of glass hundreds of feet in the air every day on major high rise construction.

trust my 20lb bike to one? sure.

William
07-17-2017, 04:44 PM
i want to say they're using suction cups similar to what glass companies/installers use. IN which case, they use similar ones to lift thousands of pounds of glass hundreds of feet in the air every day on major high rise construction.

trust my 20lb bike to one? sure.

They are vacuum cups, not suction cups. And yes, you are correct about their use in glass work and installation. In another life I had lots of experience with them so I have no reservation that they can do the job carrying a bike or two.

William

miksibis
07-17-2017, 04:53 PM
Race Across America 2017. 3150 miles. 115' F heat. Tropical storm Cindy rains. Rough roads. Highway speeds. No problems at all. Nice product. Good sponsor.

jimcav
07-17-2017, 11:35 PM
i've used them to take my mtb on the 1979 trans am and '64 studebaker: these are short trips to local trails, but no issues at all

fmradio516
07-19-2017, 01:55 PM
Just put in my order for a mini-bomber.

PepeM
07-19-2017, 02:48 PM
Does anyone think that the pickup truck one (Falcon I think?) could be used to tow a bike with a scooter? Something I might want to try, especially with a track bike.

kitsnob
07-20-2017, 12:22 AM
Great rack..
Used on many different cars.
NOT suction cups ..Vaccum (sp) cups .. BIG DIFFERENCE

2 +years using ... NO ISSUES
Just for poops and laughs, look at their Kimono? Rack .. its for the Cars and Coffee crowd .. Such a work of ART!

dekindy
07-20-2017, 05:38 AM
Anybody used their vacuum mounts to retrofit a Thule rack?

FlashUNC
07-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Anybody used their vacuum mounts to retrofit a Thule rack?

Why when its already, yanno, a rack? And smaller than the Thule bits to boot.

chiasticon
07-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Why when its already, yanno, a rack? And smaller than the Thule bits to boot.guessing he means to put the base rails on? because then that increases the overall utility of it; can mount anything to it then. though SS appear to have most bases covered with bikes, kayaks, paddleboards, skis, and snowboards. the only thing I didn't see was a cargo box. or, like, the ability to mount ladders or something...?

Veloo
07-22-2017, 08:19 PM
For those that have owned it for a while, have you seen any signs of deterioration of the rubber cup?

William
07-22-2017, 09:00 PM
No. I did have a pump on one of the cups gum up on me once but I took it apart and cleaned it. Reassembled and it was good to go. No issues with the others but I'll take them apart and clean them as well at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps27VDuH664

William