PDA

View Full Version : Another Brooks saddle question....

Dave B
09-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Ok, I know I am getting another Brooks for my 6-13 and I am past the look phase and have already mounted a B-17 from my mountain bike to try today.

I have been all over the web and have read from loads of places that riding position really afects the "feel" of wich saddle works best. There are no places around me to actually see/try a Brooks, so I am going on advice I get.

Brooks description discusses breifly certain saddles for a more agressive riding position. I imagine this is a scale from very relaxed (upright) to wicked agressive (in the drops of a road bike)

So where does riding on the hoods fall? This may sound goofy, but on Specialized's butt-o-meter scale I measured my sit bones at 143. So I appear to fit on most any saddle as this seems to be the "average" from what I was told.

Is Specialized's measurement info real world useful or more for their own specific plan with their BG saddles?

If riding on the hoods is an agressive position then I should probably try a narrower saddle....right?

I know it depends on the rider, but I do not want to spend a small fortune to try out several and have them break in or never truly fit right.

Make sense?

dave thompson
09-01-2006, 09:05 AM
I think when Brooks speaks of an 'aggressive' riding position, they are most likely referring to a larger saddle/bar drop dimension and riding in the drops.

I don't think that you can translate what the Specialized butt scale read into what the Brooks will do for you. I've found the key to the Brooks is the slope of the seat. I started with the 'sit' part of my B-17 level, which put the nose up quit a ways. As I was riding I would adjust the nose angle down slightly to achieve the position that wound up being the best for my riding style. I also found that I had to adjust the saddle forward very slightly (compared the the saddle that was replaced by the Brooks) so I was seated completely on the wide part of the saddle.

Dave B
09-01-2006, 09:48 AM
ok, that makes sense.

So the B-17 has the widest "tail" end of the unsprung "guys" saddles. Am I also correct in understanding that the narrower the saddle (swallow, swift, team pro) the thicker the leather is used to compensate for width and strength. Is there a huge difference between the B-17 and the swallow?

dave thompson
09-01-2006, 10:05 AM
ok, that makes sense.

So the B-17 has the widest "tail" end of the unsprung "guys" saddles. Am I also correct in understanding that the narrower the saddle (swallow, swift, team pro) the thicker the leather is used to compensate for width and strength. Is there a huge difference between the B-17 and the swallow?
In leather thickess? Yes to some degree. The Swallow also uses a plate aft of the nose to help keep the saddle in the proper shape and prevent sag.

One thing that you will notice about Brooks saddle recommendations, the more aggressive the riding position, the more narrow and flat the saddles become. The more upright you ride, the more weight is placed on your butt hence wider saddles. As you drop down in position, more weight is transferred to your hands/feet and then you can use the narrower saddles.

As one poster said, if you buy from Wallbike, they offer a "6 month unconditional satisfaction guarantee to trade or get a refund if their first choice does not work out."