PDA

View Full Version : MAX II rear brake routing?

nowheels
09-01-2006, 08:07 AM
Hi:

I recently brought a Serotta Max II MTB frame that I am in the process of building up. As this is an older frame I had wanted to do some Retro stuff on it, like rigid fork, canti brakes. Well regarding the brakes, I was looking at the cable routing for the rear brake and I notices that there was only one cable guide near the headtube and none towards the seat tube. The only thing there is is a small metal 'bump' on the seatpost binder? I understand that I have to add a rear canti hanger, but how do I route the cable housing?

THanks

David Kirk
09-01-2006, 08:59 AM
The cable runs over the pinch barrel and directly to the brake. Will work with canti's but not V brakes. The bump just keeps the cable from sliding off the pich barrel.

Cool bike.

Dave

nowheels
09-01-2006, 01:12 PM
So basically it's sounds like there is no rear cable hanger or cable housing? :no:

It looks like it's going to be a cool bike.

David Kirk
09-01-2006, 02:49 PM
You've got it.

Post some fotos.

Dave

nowheels
09-01-2006, 05:14 PM
Yeah...this is going to be interesting. It just looks like if I run the cable over the bump and around the seat tube that there will be cable rub.......I take a few photos. :no:

Jeremy
09-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Yeah...this is going to be interesting. It just looks like if I run the cable over the bump and around the seat tube that there will be cable rub.......I take a few photos. :no:

Get a piece of cable liner and use it around the cable where it slides over the "bump".

Jeremy

nowheels
09-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Yeah......that looks to be an additional option also.
Thanks
B

Brian Smith
09-01-2006, 10:11 PM
If it's the style I'm thinking of, the bump is actually a tube through which the cable can travel. It is a noodle brazed onto that area of the frame. As Dave said, it's not a v-brake friendly design, but for cantis it's fine and 'retro-trick.'

nowheels
09-02-2006, 08:02 AM
I've attached a picture of it. I think that the 'noodle' guide 'plastic tube' goes around like others have suggested. I at first thoght that there was a guide attachment also that just sat on the bump.....but apparently it just guides the cable. Dave assures me that it will work........

I'll in clude some other pictures as I get it tougher. I still have to find a 1" fork for it.......

Brian Smith
09-02-2006, 03:34 PM
guide only, the others are right. It works.