PDA

View Full Version : Am I a fit snob???

William
09-01-2006, 06:20 AM
I can't help it. Every time I see a cyclist on the road, I immediately access their riding position and make a comment (to myself). "Too far forward, Too low, Too high, Too far back, yeah looks good". The folks who appear to have a bad set up, I want to stop and tell them how to make adjustments for a better position. So far I've restrained myself from doing so. Besides, most would probably tell me to go take flying frig at a donut anyway.....on second thought they'd probably just flee as fast as possible. :D

Am I a fit snob? Do I need help?

William

PS: BTW, Your stem is too short.

Jason E
09-01-2006, 06:38 AM
Unless something is just disgusting and wrong, like a 5'4" guy riding a 60cm, you need to just let it go. It's just easier.

Plus, when it comes down to the specifics of every individual, you do not know why they are in the position they are in. Are the a Pilates instructor, or do the have Zero flexabilty, etc.

Let them enjoy their ride and up your OCD meds. :D

stevep
09-01-2006, 07:02 AM
Unless something is just disgusting and wrong, like a 5'4" guy riding a 60cm, you need to just let it go. It's just easier.

Plus, when it comes down to the specifics of every individual, you do not know why they are in the position they are in. Are the a Pilates instructor, or do the have Zero flexabilty, etc.

Let them enjoy their ride and up your OCD meds. :D

ditto jason.
let the guy alone. if he wanted help he might ask... but he probably doesn't therefore he probably wont.
but i know the feeling.
bend your elbows a little and your knees kinda go out too far when you pedal...

flydhest
09-01-2006, 07:28 AM
if you have to ask, chances are the answer is "yes"

Seriously, though, I agree with the first two responses. I've had people at the end of the lunch time ride chime in with unsollicited bike fit advice. One told me how very much too small my bike is for me and on another occasion someone else informed me, with a great deal of concern, how very much too large my bike is for me. . . . uhhh, ok.

Grant McLean
09-01-2006, 07:35 AM
The problem with unsolicited advice is that the receiver must consider the
source, and since they don't know you...it's unlikely to be taken to heart.

1-800-HOWSMYRIDING?

g

Ray
09-01-2006, 07:42 AM
Exactly. I occasionally see pictures of myself on the bike. Sort of like seeing a picture of my rapidly aging mug that doesn't look ANYthing like the airbrushed version I see in the mirror each morning. I'm shocked, SHOCKED to see what I look like on the bike. I'd talk to myself immediately if I were you. But don't.

Because this goofy looking position is the result of years of trial and error (plenty o' the error part) and good advice from experts (Tom Kellogg, Grant Peterson) and amatuers alike. And it feels better than anything else I've tried, by a lot. My back and hips are fer***** and I'm crazy sensitive to really small changes in position. Which is why I didn't borrow one of Douglas's myriad really waaaay cool bikes at the TdFL a couple weeks ago. I've borrowed bikes before and after 10 miles or so, I'm in abject agonizing pain. And can't even ride up to my ordinarily meager standards under those conditions.

Quick example - changed pedals several weeks ago. Stack height was different. Adjusted saddle accordingly. But something musta slipped while adjusting and I didn't notice that my saddle came forward 5mm in the process. Also had the bars lower by 5mm and forgot to raise them when the saddle came up. Had several really bad and painful rides (even 30 mile easy rides were killing me) and kept messing with the saddle height, figuring I didn't have it dialed. Finally went back and measured EVERYTHING and found the saddle fore-aft change. Adjusted that and the bars. 5mm in two places isn't a lot in the scheme of things and some people probably wouldn't even notice. But I can't tell you how miserable I was on the bike. And my back was a mess off the bike too. A really bad couple of weeks in the life of my physical self. Finally worked it out, slid the seat back 5mm and moved another spacer under the stem and, presto - pain free rides of 50+ miles again.

Look like crap - don't care.

-Ray

atmo
09-01-2006, 07:43 AM

there's nothing wrong with you -
one can be a dilettante and a
good person concurrently atmo.

flydhest
09-01-2006, 07:50 AM
there's nothing wrong with you -
one can be a dilettante and a
good person concurrently atmo.

I'm not very talented at it, but every so often I try my hand at being a dilettante just to do it.

TimB
09-01-2006, 07:54 AM
I always cringe inside when I see really really bad fits, though I've never said a word.
The worst is when I see kids on bikes that are huge (I mean honest-to-god dangerously large) or way too low (so their knees knock the bars)

Kevan
09-01-2006, 08:01 AM
in a bit of a fit tiff if you don't watch out.

I think we all are fit snobs. What particularly frustrates me is seeing the common man, the laborers, or delivery guys, sitting way low, pedal strokes with knees practically striking the chin, generally happening on too small a hack frame. Invariably they're wearing jeans, it's 90 degrees out when its not 20 degrees, and any or all efficiency and comfort is completely lost. Why is it that a hard existence has to be made that much harder? Sometimes I feel I should keep a few spare bikes in the back of the wagon that I can dole out to those poorly fitted (It's not like I see this every day.). Also, the complete lack of any lighting simply unnerves me.

Recreational riders.. I giggle inwardly.

stevep
09-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Exactly. I occasionally see pictures of myself on the bike. Sort of like seeing a picture of my rapidly aging mug that doesn't look ANYthing like the airbrushed version I see in the mirror each morning. I'm shocked, SHOCKED to see what I look like on the bike. I'd talk to myself immediately if I were you. But don't.

-Ray

ray, i've never seen you on a bike but i think a longer stem, higher saddle position, more setback and deeper drop would benefit you.
i want you to look like charlie mottet on the bike.
he was a great rider.

Too Tall
09-01-2006, 08:35 AM
I can take it. I'm sooo uncomfortable on this bike, you can see the look of pain in my face non? Somebody please help me.

zap
09-01-2006, 08:42 AM
TT. Helmet?

Too Tall
09-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Yes, that is a TT helmet. Next.

catulle
09-01-2006, 08:47 AM
Huh...?

saab2000
09-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Yes, that is a TT helmet. Next.

That's the same kind I wear. :beer:

Ray
09-01-2006, 09:01 AM
ray, i've never seen you on a bike but i think a longer stem, higher saddle position, more setback and deeper drop would benefit you.
i want you to look like charlie mottet on the bike.
he was a great rider.
Thanks for the advice - you could just bury the carcass about five miles from the start of the ride :cool:

-Ray

ClutchCargo
09-01-2006, 10:10 AM
I can't help it. Every time I see a cyclist on the road, I immediately access their riding position and make a comment (to myself). "Too far forward, Too low, Too high, Too far back, yeah looks good". The folks who appear to have a bad set up, I want to stop and tell them how to make adjustments for a better position. So far I've restrained myself from doing so. Besides, most would probably tell me to go take flying frig at a donut anyway.....on second thought they'd probably just flee as fast as possible. :D

William

You might be buying yourself some trouble, depending on how you "access" their position !

:D

Fat Robert
09-01-2006, 10:39 AM
90% of the guys I see around here look mp. cleats out of whack. knees banging in and out. saddles too low. saddle too high. effed up reaches of all sorts.

my favorite was the guy i passed in a tt two weeks ago: knees rotating in about 2 inches, and heels rotating out about two inches, by the time he hit the overextended bottom of each pedal stroke. reach waaaaay to long. i was wincing as i watched. how could that guy do that without pain?

but

i never say anything

i wave and say hi as i pass, making sure their wobble doesn't take me out

keep it friendly

if they want to change, they will learn

if they don't, good on em

for what its worth, a fit that has eveloved around a back condition, lack of strength, or lack of flexibility generally looks ok if it was done properly -- knees tracking well, saddle height in the 25-35 range, no wobbling, rider looks comfy and confident on their bike.

effed up things scream effed up, and they usually manifest themselves as whacked out bike handling or pedaling mechanics. unbalanced and inefficient. imho, yo.

Waldo
09-01-2006, 10:57 AM
I know what you mean. I am a spelling snob. Whenever I see someone write "access" instead of "assess" I want to point out the error. Ooops, I just did it again.

Ginger
09-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Too Tall,
I think your lack of comfort on that bike has to do with the other cyclist coming out of your um...***. :) Maybe you should get that removed and you'd be more comfortable.

just say'n

Ginger

Yes William,
You *are* a fit snob. Now go join the group in the corner. Oh heck, they filled the room, you'll have to find a corner for yourself to stand in all by yourself.
Only offer if someone asks....and then you should probably recommend them to your favorite Serotta qualified fitter...really...:)
Love,
Ginger

Too Tall
09-01-2006, 01:46 PM
(sigh) Infact I do live breath eat and @#$% cycling :rolleyes:

stevep
09-01-2006, 02:31 PM
tt, a little work and i can make you look like charlie mottet on the bike.
game?

atmo
09-01-2006, 03:21 PM
tt, a little work and i can make you look like charlie mottet on the bike.
game?
you should make him look like bob downs
or john ireland atmo. celebrate your lineage.

Ti Designs
09-01-2006, 03:21 PM

William

Bike fitters are fit snobs, the difference is that people pay for our opinions. I too notice how badly most people fit on their bikes (I also notice how badly people drive) but it's not my job to save the world, nor would anybody listen. Instead I put my efforts where they will make a difference. In the fall the new students show up and the team I coach is full of people who don't fit on their bikes - they listen to me (as I'm pushing them up the hills). At my job I do bike fittings - they listen to me 'cause they're paying for the service.

One word of warning, it ain't all about your own personal experiance. If you fit people based on how you fit on the bike, you've gotten 80% of it wrong. You can test for end range of motion during a fitting, you can change things around to see how the body reacts. These are all things you can't do just by seeing someone ride. The trick to being a good fitter is in the huge database you build by working with lots of people with all kinds of problems. What I've learned from doing this for 10 years is that I have so much more to learn...

atmo
09-01-2006, 03:30 PM
What I've learned from doing this for 10 years is that I have so much more to learn...

"kid, you have no idea what
you have no idea about atmo".
frank to liza
sands hotel
circa 1978

slowgoing
09-01-2006, 03:44 PM
I can take it. I'm sooo uncomfortable on this bike, you can see the look of pain in my face non? Somebody please help me.

No offense intended, but you look like John Kerry's chemeric twin.

flydhest
09-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Too Tall voted for clinchers before he voted against them.

vaxn8r
09-01-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm not very talented at it, but every so often I try my hand at being a dilettante just to do it.
Aww, don't sell yourself short, you're a tremendous dilettante.

Said in a Chevy Chase tone. Name the reference.

Lincoln
09-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Cadyshack

"Don't sell yourself short judge, you're a tremendous slouch"

Too Tall
09-01-2006, 06:14 PM
I've got chunks of guys like you in my.....

Thanks Twizz...I was waiting for some r.pack stylin' ;)

Oh gee. Nah, I've spent ages getting myself screwed into this position on a bike and plan to spend a few more making it even worse but your suggestions in keeping with my goals are welcome. |insert cheesey grin|

atmo
09-01-2006, 06:24 PM
Thanks Twizz...I was waiting for some r.pack stylin' ;)

atmo

Ginger
09-01-2006, 06:30 PM
You might be buying yourself some trouble, depending on how you "access" their position !

:D

You know...I had someone access my position while pushing me up a hill once. I nearly belted the guy. (nope, nobody on the forum. All hill assists from forum members have been incredibly polite and correct.)

Karin Kirk
09-01-2006, 08:42 PM
[Hi Ginger - I'm doing my best to bust out of the lurker closet! Or would that be the lurker room?]

I agree with Ti D. that before advice can be heeded it has to be wanted. We did something cool last night on our weekly coaching rides. I videoed the whole gang doing a variety of types of riding. After the ride we watched everyone on TV and folks got to see what they looked like and everyone got some feedback. The first thing someone said when I started showing the video was, "I had no idea I looked like that!"

Once people saw their positions, especially in comparison to their peers, they were totally open to learning more about it. This was the first time I did this and it turned out to be useful and fun. Oh and the fashion commentary was a treat too...

manet
09-01-2006, 10:07 PM

William

how do you feel when you see a woman wearing the wrong bra

Peter P.
09-01-2006, 10:17 PM
As long as you keep your opinion to yourself, you're not a snob.

My advice is; unless someone asks for position advice, keep your mouth shut.

True story: while riding the 100 mile D2R2 last week, my buddy observes some female cyclist with what he thinks is a too high seat. He tells her so. She replies with something to the effect of "My seat is fine and is going to stay just where it is, thank you very much." Bob got the hint.

I used to do what you were thinking, but I would say it out loud with my girlfriend in the car. She gave me grief. I wisened up.

bironi
09-01-2006, 10:25 PM
[Hi Ginger - I'm doing my best to bust out of the lurker closet! Or would that be the lurker room?]

I agree with Ti D. that before advice can be heeded it has to be wanted. We did something cool last night on our weekly coaching rides. I videoed the whole gang doing a variety of types of riding. After the ride we watched everyone on TV and folks got to see what they looked like and everyone got some feedback. The first thing someone said when I started showing the video was, "I had no idea I looked like that!"

Once people saw their positions, especially in comparison to their peers, they were totally open to learning more about it. This was the first time I did this and it turned out to be useful and fun. Oh and the fashion commentary was a treat too...

I have also thought it would be useful for my fellow riders to see themselves on video tape. Perhaps I'll give it a shot someday.

Byron

manet
09-01-2006, 10:33 PM
http://www.retailworker.com/node/27805