PDA

View Full Version : Riding from Saratoga Springs over to Battenkill

BobC
07-14-2017, 08:03 PM
Hey all,

I am going up to Saratoga Springs with the family in a couple weeks & planning on riding east this time (usually go north & west). Which bridge is the best option to get into the Battenkill area -- Schuylerville? Bacon Hill?
Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Cheers, BobC

djg21
07-14-2017, 09:21 PM
Hey all,

I am going up to Saratoga Springs with the family in a couple weeks & planning on riding east this time (usually go north & west). Which bridge is the best option to get into the Battenkill area -- Schuylerville? Bacon Hill?

Thanks!

Cheers, BobC

There are a number of routes you can take. You can ride down Bacon Hill through Schuylerville and cross the Hudson into Washington County, or you go past the Battlefield through Stillwater and cross the Hudson into Rensselaer County and then make your way towards Cambridge. Or at the top of Bacon Hill, you can go north on West River Road then cross the river in a Fort Edward. If you send a PM and let me know where you’ll be, I might be able to give you better insight or maybe even join you. You’d probably be better staying off the major roads and off of Rte 9P around Saratoga Lake because you will be here during Track season and the traffic and drivers can be an issue.

Johnny P
07-15-2017, 07:33 AM
Hey all,

Thanks!

Cheers, BobC

Bob,

You can cross the water just north of Schuylerville at Hudson Crossing Park. That way you can avoid cars. Here is a google map link for it. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hudson+Crossing+Park/@43.113797,-73.5799317,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89de2ebeef77c4ef:0xcdfc1 81530ee1425!8m2!3d43.113797!4d-73.577743

Mr. Pink
07-15-2017, 09:28 AM
And then riding back? That's a looooong way. I'd park in Scylerville or at the Battlefield park and start at either. Even then, we're talking about a minimum of fifty miles. Better yet, park over n Greenwich and have a field day over in Washington county. Awesome place to bike.
I was there about an month ago, and it seems that some of the Battenkill dirt is being paved over, slowly.

RedRider
07-15-2017, 09:45 AM
If you're going to be in Saratoga Springs for a bit you should check out the Mohawk Hudson Cycle Club website. https://www.mohawkhudsoncyclingclub.org/ They have a multitude of rides with cue sheets posted and listed by location, distance and terrain. They also organize daily rides throughout the "Capital Region". The MHCC is a great resource for all levels of cyclists in that region.

Mr. Pink
07-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Here, this is a ride I like up there, starting from the Battlefield parking lot and climbing Willard mountain on the other side. If you take a lap in the park before or after, you're adding about ten pleasurable miles. Its a good place to park, because of water and a bathroom and even a place to change, and, hey, you might even learn a little history. Last time a guy shot a revolutionary war musket for the school kids present when I walked by. Twice. Pretty cool. Very pivotal place in the Revolutionary War.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22078527

Add to that a start in downtown Saratoga Springs, and I think you're looking at around 80 miles, maybe more, with the park loop.

BobC
07-16-2017, 04:08 PM
Thanks all,

Most of the time I do a loop via Ruggles & West, but I was looking for a little variety. Usually I head out in the AM before the family get going (and it is an added bonus with the cooler temps & lower humidity than what we are having here in Va Beach).

Cheers, BobC

Mr. Pink
07-16-2017, 06:28 PM
I was going to say, it sounds like you're going to be there with the track open, so, like I tell everyone, try to wake up early, and have breakfast at the track. Watch the horses work out, with commentary from a soft spoken announcer. Sublime experience. There's a fairly priced buffet, but, you can just stop in town and bring your own. I suggest coffee and bagels from Uncommon Grounds. Free admission at the track, free parking, I think on the latter. Sit anywhere. I liked the really expensive boxes near the finish line. A lot of rich bottoms sat there through history.

BobC
07-16-2017, 09:04 PM
I was going to say, it sounds like you're going to be there with the track open, so, like I tell everyone, try to wake up early, and have breakfast at the track. Watch the horses work out, with commentary from a soft spoken announcer. Sublime experience. There's a fairly priced buffet, but, you can just stop in town and bring your own. I suggest coffee and bagels from Uncommon Grounds. Free admission at the track, free parking, I think on the latter. Sit anywhere. I liked the really expensive boxes near the finish line. A lot of rich bottoms sat there through history.

Rgr & thanks! My folks moved back to Saratoga (mom is from there) about 5 years ago. Done the track thing every year, including the morning breakfast (& one of the auctions -- which was way cool & highly recommended). Ironically enough, my two sons enjoy ice skating far more than the horse racing when we are up there -- and the rink is about a mile away.

I'll have to check out Uncommon Grounds. Haven't been there yet.

Mr. Pink
07-16-2017, 09:19 PM
Yup, the auctions are a very cool and unique experience, including the "pre auction" area. Most people don't know about it. Just stumble in, act like you have money, order a drink, and watch the horses get accessed.

I lived in Saratoga for three years, 04-07, right on Broadway, right in the heart of things. Broke my heart to move, but, my job went to India, so, had to. Now that I'm not working, I would love to move back there, still investigating the possibility. Just there about a month ago, and the town looks better than ever. The old Adelphi hotel has just gone under quite a spectacular renovation, which just adds to the archetectural jewels on Broadway. Have fun. Enjoy the ponies.

Oh, and, if you go riding up on the east side of the lake, check out Fitch road, home to Macmahon farms, where Funnyside, the 03 (?) Derby winner was raised. I always make a point to end my rides on that road, and look at the yearlings if they're out there. Thoroughbreds are amazing creatures.