PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ohio State at Texas. Your pick?

H1449-6
08-31-2006, 08:20 PM
A week and a day from the biggest game of the college football season.

I know that there are a few Austinites here. Any Buckeyes fans?

jahah
08-31-2006, 08:46 PM
OHIO STATE, of course !!

I am class of '82 now living in San Diego. (Year round riding here!)

We should have won it last year. The big question for Texas is, who will run the show without Vince Young at the helm ?

OSU 28 - Texas 14

Jim

Smiley
08-31-2006, 08:49 PM
BUCKEYE'S

what U nuts they should have beat texas last year

H1449-6
08-31-2006, 10:06 PM
Good to hear from other Buckeyes.

O-H!

vaxn8r
08-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Buckeyes.

slowgoing
08-31-2006, 11:46 PM
The women are better looking in Texas.

Brons2
08-31-2006, 11:54 PM
I hope we never schedule tOSU again. I have never been treated so shabbily as I was in Columbus. Nevertheless, I will show the Buckeye fans some hospitality.

I'm going with Texas to win in the stifiling early September heat and humidity.

ThasFACE
09-01-2006, 12:28 AM
I hope we never schedule tOSU again. I have never been treated so shabbily as I was in Columbus.

Columbus is the worst. Every time I went there for tournaments during college I dreaded every aspect of the town... The fans are not only unbelievably inhospitable, they are also destructive (read: any car with any kind of Michigan sticker on it _will_ get vandalized at any kind of sporting event in Columbus).

That said, OSU will probably win, and it will make me happy only because I want them to be undefeated going into the Michigan game; that way, when we beat them (yes, I know that OSU has kicked our asses over the past few years), it will be that much more satisfying. Oh man, I hate OSU so much!

GO BLUE!

Zard
09-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Columbus is the worst. Every time I went there for tournaments during college I dreaded every aspect of the town... The fans are not only unbelievably inhospitable, they are also destructive (read: any car with any kind of Michigan sticker on it _will_ get vandalized at any kind of sporting event in Columbus).

That said, OSU will probably win, and it will make me happy only because I want them to be undefeated going into the Michigan game; that way, when we beat them (yes, I know that OSU has kicked our asses over the past few years), it will be that much more satisfying. Oh man, I hate OSU so much!

GO BLUE!

+1 GO BLUE!

Brons2
09-01-2006, 10:14 AM

Yep. I'm surprised they weren't flipping cars and setting them on fire after they lost last year.

I have literally never been afraid for my safety like I was last year. And I am a very large person, 6'7", 260 lbs. But they outnumbered me about 10,000 to 1.

My parents and my little sister also came up to Columbus for the game and we were all very afraid. I mean, come on guys. My parents are in their mid-50s. Why the tOSU fans feel it necessary to scream F**K TEXAS! in the faces of my poor old parents is beyond me.

There were a few nice tOSU fans. We parked in a lot that benefitted Special Olympics. Those folks were really nice. We then walked towards a bar called Miani's on High Street. Even at that time of the day, around 11:30 am, people were literally coming out of their houses to shout F**K TEXAS! at us.

The students are the worst of the lot, but they are by no means alone. There were plenty of people who should know better shouting obcenities at us.

I travel to the away games almost always. I lettered for Texas as an offensive tackle, so I'm a pretty hard core fan. I have been to every stadium in the Big 12 and while there are always a few nuts, most people are pretty nice.

Even OU's fans are a cut above tOSU fans, and everyone has heard of our rivalry. We play OU in Dallas every year so to add that stadium to my list I attended a game not involving Texas. I strolled right in wearing full Texas gear. Although I got a few stares, I really had no problems.

iffyjoe
09-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Ohio State should take this no sweat, though Texas even sans young is no pushover. Very strong defense.
The line about Texas women is no doubt true.
And although even driving a m car into Ohio (I never capitolize the state or say the name) is living on the edge, really bad behavior is outta line anywhere. After all we are talking about a bunch of 20 year olds, ya can't get too upset win or lose. :cool:

MarinRider
09-01-2006, 11:21 AM
+2 Go Blue!

Brons2
09-01-2006, 11:33 AM
And although even driving a m car into Ohio (I never capitolize the state or say the name) is living on the edge, really bad behavior is outta line anywhere. After all we are talking about a bunch of 20 year olds, ya can't get too upset win or lose. :cool:

I expect the students to be rowdy. But I encountered poor behavior from all ages and all groups of people. Even out at the Easton Town Center in the suburbs, 2 days before the game!

Win or lose on September 9th, I am secure with the fact that we are better people.

davids
09-01-2006, 02:11 PM
I grew up outside Cleveland, spent the first 18 years of my life in Ohio. Then I went to college, and spent 4 years in Ann Arbor.

GO BLUE (and Texas, too. Effen Buckeyes....)

H1449-6
09-05-2006, 01:25 PM
Win or lose on September 9th, I am secure with the fact that we are better people.

Where's the rolleyes icon?

:bike:

Brons2
09-05-2006, 02:59 PM
I'm saving it for this weekend, when an apparent horde of 30-40,000 of your fans will descend on our fair city.

They have rented out the Frank Erwin Center (where the Longhorns play basketball) for Friday night and the ampitheater at Stubbs BBQ both Friday and Saturday.

BUCKEYE GO HOME!!!!

ThasFACE
09-05-2006, 03:39 PM
I'm saving it for this weekend, when an apparent horde of 30-40,000 of your fans will descend on our fair city.

That's a damn shame. Austin is a really nice town and I hate to see what the buckeye faithful are going to do to it... especially if osu loses.

Endless Goods
09-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Yep. I'm surprised they weren't flipping cars and setting them on fire after they lost last year.

I have literally never been afraid for my safety like I was last year. And I am a very large person, 6'7", 260 lbs. But they outnumbered me about 10,000 to 1.

Come to Philly...

67-59
09-05-2006, 07:23 PM
The only way OSU wins is if they completely retool their defense from the sieve that played on Saturday. Probably would be a good idea to emphasize that they're supposed to tackle the guy with the ball BEFORE he gets 20 yards downfield.

Might want to watch the Miami-FSU film from last night....

Texas by 6....

H1449-6
09-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Probably would be a good idea to emphasize that they're supposed to tackle the guy with the ball BEFORE he gets 20 yards downfield.

No kidding.

trophyoftexas
09-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Not sure, which team has the must gangsters?

Brons2
09-06-2006, 08:40 AM
Not sure, which team has the must gangsters?

Us apparently :(

Stupid Tarrell Brown and Tyrone Gatewood.

spiderlake
09-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Despite being a product of the Big Ten (MSU!!), I really want Texas to win. Of course, it should go without saying that I want OSU to beat Michigan.

vaxn8r
09-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Either way, SC moves on up....again.

William
09-06-2006, 10:03 AM
OSU!!! :banana:

Alright!! GO BEAVS GO!!! :banana:

William ;)

bcm119
09-06-2006, 10:14 AM
OSU!!! :banana:

Alright!! GO BEAVS GO!!! :banana:

William ;)

Hey William- did you see this article about the good, bad and ugly of college uniforms? (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=ap-nancyarmour&prov=ap&type=lgns)

William
09-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Hey William- did you see this article about the good, bad and ugly of college uniforms?

1. Oregon State -- Every day is Halloween in Corvallis!

Yeee Haw!! Or should I say...Trick or Treat!! :D

William

ThasFACE
09-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Despite being a product of the Big Ten (MSU!!), I really want Texas to win. Of course, it should go without saying that I want OSU to beat Michigan.

A good friend from college is from Traverse and his dad is a judge up in your parts. I'll let him know to keep an eye out for you and your remarks.

72gmc
09-06-2006, 11:23 AM
any ugly uniform poll that doesn't have the oregon ducks #1 is invalid.

once i would have favored ohio state, but then johnny utah got his knee bent 90 degrees the wrong way in that rose bowl....

William
09-06-2006, 11:30 AM

WORD!!!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~zugmo/gogirl.jpg

William ;)

bcm119
09-06-2006, 11:53 AM

They are #1 in the Ugly list...just below the Bad list. Amen.

Brons2
09-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Adding a little fuel to the fire...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigten/2006-09-05-tressel-poll_x.htm

Tressel says in his press conference yesterday that he voted Texas #1 but when the rubber hits the road, he really didn't. SID states that "it isn't a psychological ploy". Whatever.

Brons2
09-06-2006, 11:58 AM
1. Oregon State -- Every day is Halloween in Corvallis!

Yeee Haw!! Or should I say...Trick or Treat!! :D

William

My dad played football for Oregon State, whereas I played for Texas.

soooo.....

HOOK 'EM HORNS!
GO BEAVS!

vaxn8r
09-06-2006, 11:59 AM
They are #1 in the Ugly list...just below the Bad list. Amen.
UGLY?Not when you look like this:

Brons2
09-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Fake diamond plating. UGH!!!!

I like football uniforms that look like....football uniforms.

Folks like:
Texas
Penn State
Georgia
Alabama

You guys can keep your Nike weirdness.

72gmc
09-06-2006, 12:11 PM
johnathan stewart wears the uniform because phil knight decrees it. and they have something like nine different variations of that ugly thing?

please. just give them matching purses and be done with it.

i mean no personal offense, vaxn8r. i just don't see why universities let nike ruin classic uniforms, even for big $$. that goofy one-long-arm thing at virginia tech. the loss of our good ol' washington husky for a new, uh, dog, if you want to call it that. oregon.

at least ohio state vs. texas is a matchup of two classic, classy uniforms.

Brons2
09-06-2006, 12:14 PM
i just don't see why universities let nike ruin classic uniforms, even for big $$.

'zactly.

Texas has Nike gear, but we dictate to them what our uniforms will look like and not vice-versa.

Russell
09-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Fear the Turtle!

William
09-06-2006, 12:45 PM
My dad played football for Oregon State, whereas I played for Texas.

soooo.....

HOOK 'EM HORNS!
GO BEAVS!

Beaver by blood. :cool:

William

vaxn8r
09-06-2006, 01:47 PM
johnathan stewart wears the uniform because phil knight decrees it. and they have something like nine different variations of that ugly thing?

please. just give them matching purses and be done with it.

i mean no personal offense, vaxn8r. i just don't see why universities let nike ruin classic uniforms, even for big $$. that goofy one-long-arm thing at virginia tech. the loss of our good ol' washington husky for a new, uh, dog, if you want to call it that. oregon.

at least ohio state vs. texas is a matchup of two classic, classy uniforms.
I know that's the perception, that Nike decrees it but it's far from the truth. Nike sat down with the designers and the players and that's what the team voted on. Same process over the last several years. You might say the reverse with UT and OSU, the alums decree what the players wear. That would be much closer to the truth.

I don't like the stuff any more than you guys. Oregon fans, if they admit it, generally don't like it. But in this case they let the kids decide it and that's what they go with. Is that marketing for recruiting? Yeah, definitely. When you are a small school in the Northwest, with a short tradition of success and trying to compete with huge schools like OU, Michigan, UT, SC....you have to do things to shake it up and no one can question Oregon is doing that...billboards, unis, etc. And it's working, if an athlete comes here they are very likely to be promoted by the school. That's huge for an 18 year old. Nobody outrecruits SC or UT but the Ducks are beginning to steal away #1 recruits like Haloti Nagta and Jonathon Stewart. That would have never ever happened 10 years ago. Plus, let's not forget the Ducks pasted UT the last time they played. :)

72gmc
09-06-2006, 02:07 PM
let's not forget the Ducks pasted UT the last time they played. :)

yeah, we would have too if mack brown hadn't woken up and subbed in major applewhite just in time to save their butts. i was mad the dawgs lost but happy for major, who was hosed by the whole chris simms fantasy train.

you've got a good point on the marketing. i don't have the same perspective. i look back to the don james era (i was an undergrad when they went 12-0) and i think why don't we just stick with what works? but this way is clearly working for oregon.

rshoop
09-06-2006, 02:19 PM
OSU vs. Texas should be a good game--was last year. But the biggest game of the season is OSU/Michigan. We Buckeye fans won't even remember that OSU played Texas when that one rolls around.

Brons2
09-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Plus, let's not forget the Ducks pasted UT the last time they played. :)

Pasted? What is it with you Oregon fans and your revisionist history? You beat us 35-30, and there were several dropped passes by Texas receivers (in the end zone) at the end, that would have won the game for the Longhorns. All this despite 4 interceptions by Chrissy Simms.

I was there at the game in San Diego, and those passes fell incomplete right in front of me.

Afterwords, your fans acted like they had won the national championship. In reality, it was the first time in the history of the football program at the University of Oregon that they had won 10 games in a season.

Some jerk on the light rail kept trying to goad me, but I left it alone. I got in a fight in the gaslamp district because some of your fans would not leave me and my family alone while we were trying to quietly enjoy our dinner. I warned them THREE times to leave us alone, but they kept coming back to our table and heckling us. The fourth time someone got punched in the face.

davids
09-06-2006, 04:24 PM

My parents and my little sister also came up to Columbus for the game and we were all very afraid. I mean, come on guys. My parents are in their mid-50s. Why the tOSU fans feel it necessary to scream F**K TEXAS! in the faces of my poor old parents is beyond me.

There were a few nice tOSU fans. We parked in a lot that benefitted Special Olympics. Those folks were really nice. We then walked towards a bar called Miani's on High Street. Even at that time of the day, around 11:30 am, people were literally coming out of their houses to shout F**K TEXAS! at us.

The students are the worst of the lot, but they are by no means alone. There were plenty of people who should know better shouting obcenities at us.

Afterwords, your fans acted like they had won the national championship. In reality, it was the first time in the history of the football program at the University of Oregon that they had won 10 games in a season.

Some jerk on the light rail kept trying to goad me, but I left it alone. I got in a fight in the gaslamp district because some of your fans would not leave me and my family alone while we were trying to quietly enjoy our dinner. I warned them THREE times to leave us alone, but they kept coming back to our table and heckling us. The fourth time someone got punched in the face.
Wow. I gotta go to more college football games.

72gmc
09-06-2006, 04:46 PM
Wow. I gotta go to more college football games.

crazy, isn't it? i'm seeing the other side of what brons2 is talking about these days. still a season ticket holder for the huskies but they're so far beneath where they were in terms of records, prestige, attendance... the games are much more congenial affairs. it's like a purple and gold support group. even the usc fans that traveled last year were nice to us (a part of me hates them for that).

when we're good again it will be interesting to watch the transition back to hyper-competitive fan dementia.

Brons2
09-06-2006, 04:55 PM
crazy, isn't it? i'm seeing the other side of what brons2 is talking about these days. still a season ticket holder for the huskies but they're so far beneath where they were in terms of records, prestige, attendance... the games are much more congenial affairs. it's like a purple and gold support group. even the usc fans that traveled last year were nice to us (a part of me hates them for that).

when we're good again it will be interesting to watch the transition back to hyper-competitive fan dementia.

Most fans are pretty nice. I don't mean to paint such a bad picture.
The USC fans were overall pretty decent at the Rose Bowl last year. I also greatly enjoyed the Michigan fans at the previous year's Rose Bowl.

Additionally, I have been to every stadium in the Big XII and have had very few problems. Nebraska is an especially fun road trip, we are going up there this year. Their fans are probably the nicest in college football, that I have encountered.

Other places I have really enjoyed:
Tulane (pre-Katrina)
UNC
Stanford

Brons2
09-06-2006, 05:30 PM
By the way 72GMC, I once went to the same football camp as Steve Emtman, a name you should remember from the glory days in the early 90s for U-Dub. What an amazing athlete he was.

vaxn8r
09-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Most fans are pretty nice. I don't mean to paint such a bad picture.
The USC fans were overall pretty decent at the Rose Bowl last year. I also greatly enjoyed the Michigan fans at the previous year's Rose Bowl.

Additionally, I have been to every stadium in the Big XII and have had very few problems. Nebraska is an especially fun road trip, we are going up there this year. Their fans are probably the nicest in college football, that I have encountered.

Other places I have really enjoyed:
Tulane (pre-Katrina)
UNC
Stanford
I did do a :)

I apologize for all the rude fans who treated you poorly. That's not what it ought to be about. I've rarely had anything but great experiences on the road. What do you think about OU? I've been to games there but not as a Duck fan. Is that environment pretty cool, being rivals and all?

72gmc
09-06-2006, 05:52 PM
By the way 72GMC, I once went to the same football camp as Steve Emtman, a name you should remember from the glory days in the early 90s for U-Dub. What an amazing athlete he was.

talked with him several times over beers at the good ol' duchess tavern. it was usually emtman, steve hoffman (linebacker), and some girls trying to flirt with them. he's a very nice guy--at the time i was a broadcast intern with a few interviews with arrogant star athletes under my belt, so i already appreciated how he kept success in perspective.

elvis grbac probably has worse memories of emtman.

Fat Robert
09-06-2006, 07:46 PM
go hawkeyes

that's my pick

67-59
09-06-2006, 08:04 PM

Good for you for sticking with them. When the success returns, you'll be rewarded with better seats than the fair weather fans. I've done the same thing with my Marquette basketball tickets. I sat with some pretty small crowds several years ago, but had far better seats than the fair weather fans when Dwyane Wade led us to the Final Four. Now that we're doing well and in the Big East, I get to look back to the fans who weren't there for the lean years. And yes, opposing fans tend to be far less congenial when you're good....

Brons2
09-06-2006, 10:38 PM
I did do a :)

I apologize for all the rude fans who treated you poorly. That's not what it ought to be about. I've rarely had anything but great experiences on the road. What do you think about OU? I've been to games there but not as a Duck fan. Is that environment pretty cool, being rivals and all?

I think the OU fans are idiots ;) I mean, their stadium is called Gaylord Stadium!

Seriously though, generally they are pretty polite, so long as you stay out of the Dallas West End Marketplace the night before the game. That's where all the drunk students go and it's pretty wild.

Of course, we play OU in Dallas every year at the State Fair of Texas, in the Cotton Bowl. It's a pretty special environment, 75,000 screaming fans split neatly in two, half burnt orange and half crimson.

I did have the opportunity to visit Owen Field at Gaylord Family Memorial Stadium back in 2003. It was the last stadium in the Big XII that I had never visited. Texas was playing a night game in Stillwater, and OU was playing an early game at home against aggy.

Bought tickets off the sidewalk, wearing full Texas gear top to bottom. Stopped in at sandwich shop to some exclamations of TEXAS!?!?! but they cheerfully served us. I did not detect any crunchy insects in my sandwich. Went to the game, got a few blank stares but no problems really. We left at the start of the 4th quarter when aTm was getting drubbed 77-0 by OU...lol. Walking back towards the car, we actually stopped at a few tailgates to say hello, people were really nice and welcoming. (of course, they had stomped a mudhole in us earlier that year so I guess they were feeling pretty congenial).

All in all, I'd say it was a pretty good time! And it was fun going to 2 college games in one day!

Incidentially, our game was a 55-19 rout over Oklahoma State that same day.

Brons2
09-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Good for you for sticking with them. When the success returns, you'll be rewarded with better seats than the fair weather fans. I've done the same thing with my Marquette basketball tickets. I sat with some pretty small crowds several years ago, but had far better seats than the fair weather fans when Dwyane Wade led us to the Final Four. Now that we're doing well and in the Big East, I get to look back to the fans who weren't there for the lean years. And yes, opposing fans tend to be far less congenial when you're good....

Yea I went to your final four game against KU in 2003 because our game against Syracuse was the 2nd half of the doubleheader. Enjoyed the Marquette fans, nice folks. Your coeds aren't so cute though. lol. I guess I'm just spoiled living in Texas.

67-59
09-07-2006, 07:27 AM
Brons2, I had a similar experience with Texas fans - the ones I met all seemed to be good folks. Had a really nice chat with one sitting next to us during your game with 'Cuse.

Win or lose, New Orleans is absolutely the best place for a big event like that. Can't beat the Quarter for pre and post-game festivities....

jahah
09-10-2006, 01:10 PM
24 to 7, need I say more !

Brons2
09-10-2006, 01:33 PM
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Couches and mattresses were set on fire outside houses in Ohio State University student neighborhoods, and three people were struck by a car following the No. 1-ranked Buckeyes' 24-7 win over No. 2 Texas on Saturday night.
There were 35 to 40 fires set in student neighborhoods, said Columbus police Sgt. David Howson, whose department arrested about 17 people, five of them on arson charges. A trash bin also was set ablaze, burning two nearby cars, he said.Battalion Fire Chief Kevin O'Connor said he was treated for bumps and bruises after he and two others were struck by a car that came through a temporary command post set up in the driveway of a student union building.
The two others, an Ohio State official and her husband, were treated early Sunday at Ohio State University Medical Center for minor injuries.
Most students haven't returned to campus because fall classes don't start until Sept. 20, Howson said. Still, police concentrated their patrols on the campus area last night.
"This happens on big games, so we were prepared for it," Howson said.
The victory kept the Buckeyes (2-0) in perfect position for a run to a college football national title. Texas, which saw its 21-game winning streak snapped, is the defending national champion.

tOSU: win or lose, we'll still booze....

H1449-6
09-10-2006, 05:12 PM
tOSU: win or lose, we'll still booze....

Pretty much a standard practice, win or lose a big game.

At least only three people were hurt this time.

National championship, here we come!