PDA

View Full Version : old steel vs new steel

weisan
04-15-2004, 09:36 AM
Can anyone please offer their comments/opinions on comparing the difference between a newer Serotta Atlanta using 9-speed Full Ultegra and an older early-to-mid 90's Serotta Colorado with 8-speed Dura-Ace...in terms of overall ride quality and any other attributes you can think of?

Assuming both bikes will fit me just fine. I am not exactly sure if the geometry is different between the two.

I would sure appreciate your feedback.

thanks,
weisan

dbrk
04-15-2004, 09:49 AM
I have a CSi and an Atlanta from the same '97-98 period outfitted nearly identically and cannot for the life of me tell the difference in terms of the ride quality. This 80% of the ride at 60% of the cost is all rhetoric. There are differences in the bikes and tubing is one of them but these tubes are so, so close...I dunno, maybe I'm a dullard but I think the CSi circa '98 was a heat-treated Reynolds while the Atlanta was the plainjane version of the same stuff. But I didn't answer your question.

Honestly since neither of these bikes uses any of the very much more modern heat treated hardened tubing, I think the greater differences in the way they ride would be attributable to geometry, wheels and tires, and other bits not related to the frame and fork. In short, I think frame-wise you are likely getting a very similar ride from the frame/fork standpoint. But if there are size differences, geos, and bits involved then those would provide the difference. I don't believe that the Atlanta or CSi of this era appreciably "improved" the ride for the advancements in tubing. Of course I think that the late 90s bikes ride _just like_ my '04 C4 tubed CSi too.
The CSi has more details and a nicer finishing than any Atlanta and there plus the cost of the tubes brought some savings but in costs, not in ride, imho.

dbrk

vaxn8r
04-15-2004, 01:08 PM
IMO the 9 sp Ultegra is a far better group then the 8 sp. DA. The shifters work better, they are significantly lighter (and this is not necessarily a weight weenie issue, the whole front end of a 8 sp bike feels heavier which may affect handling, I can feel the difference anyway), the hoods feel better in your hands etc. I sure liked the looks of that DA 8 sp crank though. One of the prettiest cranks ever IMO. I do think DA hubs spin smoother than Ultgra hubs but I doubt you could tell that riding the bike.

To me the parts will change the way the bike feels far more than any differences in tubing quality. BTW, I have a late 90's model Atlanta and have ridden an early 90's Colorado may times. Both were nice bikes and felt and handled very similar. One complaint with the Colorado. I don't like brake cables entering and exiting the TT. My buddy's Colorado was developing rust at the entry point. There really is no need for this type of gimmick IMO.

weisan
04-15-2004, 01:14 PM
vaxnr8r,

Thanks for chimming in. I couldn't believe the timing. I just sent you a personal message through your email, probably about the same time you entered in this post. :eek:

I agree with what you said. I don't like the old tech 8-speed shifting mechanism but I do like the look of the crank!!! :o

So, given the option to replace the old Colorado with a 99 Atlanta at practically little or no cash difference, would you do it?
:)

thanks,
weisan

vaxn8r
04-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Absolutely.

weisan
04-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Hi dbrk,

Do you have a catalog on 99 Atlanta? Would it be too much to ask for you to send a copy to me? Let me know.

thanks,
weisan

MartyE
04-15-2004, 02:18 PM
Not sure about the time frame but BB drop increased
from 7cm to 8cm. Current frames have higher front end
and longer top tubes than older models (say early 90's)
but I don't know when these changes took place.

Marty

Keith A
04-15-2004, 04:15 PM
weisan -- I have a '99 catalog with the Atlanta in it. What did you need? I could probably scan an image of the Altanta page if you are interested.

The SLP 8-speed Dura-Ace crank (7410) is indeed a nice one and I have a brand new one just sitting in a box :)

weisan
04-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Hi Keith,

I just want to look at it. Does the page provide details on geometry and stuff? If it's not too much trouble, would you mind scanning the page and send to: misc@alicehui.com

thanks,
weisan

weisan
04-15-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks MartyE.

I found TONS of information doing a search back in the old forum. Man, we talked a lot of these before.

Keith A
04-15-2004, 08:30 PM
I'll try to get to this tomorrow, but I'm heading out of town so I might not have time. If I forget, just e-mail me and I'll make sure I do this on Monday.

weisan
04-15-2004, 08:34 PM
Thanks Keith. No hurry at all...take your time...whenever you can.

Birddog
04-15-2004, 09:45 PM
Seat tube 54, top tube 55, seat angle 73, head angle 73.5, chainstay 41.5, fork rake 4.3, wheelbase 97.7, standover 80

Birddog

weisan
04-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Thank you Birddog.

CIII_bill
04-15-2004, 11:14 PM
I have bikes with 8 speed Ultegra and 9 speed Ultegra. 9 speed is by far and away nicer in shifting. It is much crisper with much shorter throws. In fact I overshifted my 9 speed until I got the hang of it.

Th older 8 speed cranbk is nicer looking though.