PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone ever done a transatlantic cruise on a freighter?

veggieburger
07-13-2017, 01:53 PM
I've been reading a bit about taking a freighter across the ocean and have been considering it for our next European holiday. I hate flying (actually, it's more the process around flying that I loath...getting to airport 3 hours early, layovers, tight seats, etc).

Have you ever gone over on a freighter? What did you think of it? Decent experience? Did you use Maris?

So curious...

Thanks!

David

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/64/d0/26/64d0267ba33b105f77f39d21d340667a.jpg

oliver1850
07-13-2017, 03:46 PM
If I ever went to Europe, this is how I would like to do it. I haven't flown since 1986- hated it then and it's surely worse now.

ergott
07-13-2017, 04:03 PM
I didn't know that's a thing!

My wife would never be into that, but I'd do it. Love the idea.

William
07-13-2017, 04:10 PM
Seems like this has come up before in the past?

There are a few websites that cater to Freighter Cruises.

Freighter Cruises
Freighter Expeditions

William

saab2000
07-13-2017, 04:40 PM
I'm interested but when I do it I'm going on the Queen Mary 2 and treating myself to a luxurious crossing.

BTW, I fly for a living and I totally get the people who hate it.

Bostic
07-13-2017, 04:42 PM
I'm interested but when I do it I'm going on the Queen Mary 2 and treating myself to a luxurious crossing.

BTW, I fly for a living and I totally get the people who hate it.

Thread drift.. what are your thoughts on the Air Canada flight over here in San Francisco from Friday?

I would totally want to do a cruise on a freighter but there is 0% chance my wife would agree.

saab2000
07-13-2017, 04:45 PM
Thread drift.. what are your thoughts on the Air Canada flight over here in San Francisco from Friday?

I would totally want to do a cruise on a freighter but there is 0% chance my wife would agree.

I haven't read the report but based on the tidbits I've read they narrowly averted a real disaster.

Fatigue and complacency can be killers. SFO is a big, busy airport (like many others) and just a bit of confusion or distraction can lead to bad things. Thankfully, a disaster was avoided and we can learn from what happened.

djm
07-13-2017, 05:56 PM

I haven't read the report but based on the tidbits I've read they narrowly averted a real disaster.

Fatigue and complacency can be killers. SFO is a big, busy airport (like many others) and just a bit of confusion or distraction can lead to bad things. Thankfully, a disaster was avoided and we can learn from what happened.

I read that the Transportation Safety Board of Canada estimated that the Air Canada A320 missed two of the aircraft on the taxiway by 100 feet vertically and as little as 29 feet laterally. This type of runway or airport misidentification event tends to happen in good visibility at night when radio navigation aids can be neglected.</drift>

Mr. Pink
07-13-2017, 06:18 PM
I don't know. Hey, I hate air travel too, but, man, that's a lot of time to spend on a boat, and in the end, a lot of money, compared to present day RT fairs to Europe. Milan is about 600 dollars RT from JFK, direct. Like, take a sleeping pill, wake up the next morning in Italy.

rwsaunders
07-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Read the fine print and make sure that you're not riding in a container or in the engine room.

Fatty
07-13-2017, 07:36 PM
I looked into an around the world container ship cruise at one time. You get a nice cabin and can go up on deck but that's about it. I don't think you could get off the ship at the ports.

Nags&Ducs
07-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Yeah, I don't know why anybody would want to subject yourself to that. They'd have to pay to board one of those things.

veggieburger
07-13-2017, 07:48 PM
I didn't know that's a thing!

My wife would never be into that, but I'd do it. Love the idea.

Yeah, heard you get a nice cabin, 3 square meals and time on the deck. No pools, shows or frills, but give me a stack of books and 7 days at sea and I'll be one relaxed fella.

jumphigher
07-13-2017, 07:57 PM
I have nothing to contribute to this thread except yeah, I'd do it. I've looked into it on and off over the years and I'm pretty sure my wife and I will eventually give it a shot. If you go for it OP, make sure you start a thread about your experiences. :)

Seramount
07-13-2017, 08:13 PM
don't book passage on this one...was checking it out this wkend, it's got some sea-worthy issues...

zmudshark
07-13-2017, 08:24 PM
Not since 1973. It was easier then.

nooneline
07-13-2017, 08:39 PM
A friend of mine went up the west coast of the USA from LA to Seattle and then over to Singapore on one of the biggest Maersk ships. She loved it. Some ****ty experiences due to being a pretty young woman on a ship full of lonely men, but she's a badass and handled herself well.

She got caught in a storm and had the (to me) unpleasant experience of watching waves crash over the deck and wash away containers - and wondered if they boat was going to go down. I wouldn't care for it. She ****ing loved it.

This was also during the port strikes, so there was a lot of time waiting. When you're on a cargo ship, your timetable ain't set in stone.

One of her photos:
https://scontent-mad1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10354951_10100258003046705_5743685724699831459_n.j pg?oh=ab4a170ff8eff6e0d1d74c4a6b1f347b&oe=59F79D37

veggieburger
07-13-2017, 08:41 PM
I have nothing to contribute to this thread except yeah, I'd do it. I've looked into it on and off over the years and I'm pretty sure my wife and I will eventually give it a shot. If you go for it OP, make sure you start a thread about your experiences. :)

Here's a good blog entry: https://cyclingdutchgirl.com/2013/03/31/life-aboard-a-cargo-ship/

Fatty
07-14-2017, 11:37 AM
Yeah, heard you get a nice cabin, 3 square meals and time on the deck. No pools, shows or frills, but give me a stack of books and 7 days at sea and I'll be one relaxed fella.

I know. Half a dozen good books would be all I need to get across the Atlantic.
If I remember right that trip was like seven or eight days. The round the world trip was like three months long.

Joel
07-14-2017, 12:11 PM
I definitely remember reading a trip report from a guy who did this.

Go to www.flyertalk.com.

Sub tab: Communities

Tab: Trip Reports

It's in there somewhere. You may want to register and then do a search.

Joel