PDA

View Full Version : interval training good at any age...

thwart
07-13-2017, 07:20 AM
So says this study, anyway. I like its findings.

The article:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/12/well/move/high-intensity-workouts-may-be-good-at-any-age.html

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/07/11/well/physed-spin/physed-spin-master768.jpg

verticaldoug
07-13-2017, 07:25 AM
I'm surprised this was even a question. As a man, getting older, losing testosterone, etc, interval training, resistance training of any kind to keep muscle mass seems more important.

My mind still thinks I am 20, and writes checks my 50 yr body cant cash.

Jgrooms
07-13-2017, 07:42 AM
And others will tell you that repeated interval training is causing this:

http://www.velonews.com/cycling-to-extremes-heart-health-and-endurance-sports

superbowlpats
07-13-2017, 07:53 AM

I couldn't have said it better :beer:

bking
07-13-2017, 11:36 AM
I'm surprised this was even a question. As a man, getting older, losing testosterone, etc, interval training, resistance training of any kind to keep muscle mass seems more important.

Wait till you hit 60, while the mind and body still don't align completely, the overdraft isn't quite so bad. The mind begins to catch on.

JStonebarger
07-13-2017, 11:49 AM
And others will tell you that repeated interval training is causing this:

http://www.velonews.com/cycling-to-extremes-heart-health-and-endurance-sports

Interval training or volume?

Many rewards allow risks as well. On balance, intense training seems to be very good for us despite a 5-fold increase in AF.

Jgrooms
07-13-2017, 03:05 PM

Many rewards allow risks as well. On balance, intense training seems to be very good for us despite a 5-fold increase in AF.

That's prolly not the best source on AF. Most will go w the intensity is what is causing the scaring & that leads to AF short circuit.

The problem w intensity imo is that is that most overdo it & start it wo a good aerobic base.

View the heart as the muscle it is, then recall something we've all done, walk into a gym and hit a leg program wo acclimation & then base. Next day your legs are blasted for a week. Now imagine what the heart is going through when one rolls out in Mar for the first nice day group ride w no solid base.

Or in another scenario, a newb shows up to some torture spin class.

Those situations are not good for anyone, let alone an older person who by nature, doesn't recover as well.

Is higher intensity req for higher fitness levels? Of course, buts its not a short cut & all things in moderation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shovelhd
07-13-2017, 03:24 PM
However this is the age of the shortcut. Maximum benefit for minimal time. Done right, it works well. Done wrong, it can be harmful.

thwart
07-13-2017, 03:40 PM
However this is the age of the shortcut. Maximum benefit for minimal time. Done right, it works well. Done wrong, it can be harmful.
This.

Interval training seems to offer some benefits of 'vitality' and potentially save a bit of time as well.

The Veloflex article mentioned above emphasizes the possible cardiac risks of high level endurance training:

Dr. John Mandrola, a heart-rhythm doctor from Louisville, Kentucky, who takes a keen interest in the hearts of endurance athletes, and who is himself a cyclist with atrial fibrillation (AF).

“Everyone asks where that line is, and how much is too much,” Mandrola said. “It will never be a yes or no thing. It will always be this gray zone. But one of my takes on the evidence is if you have a heart rhythm problem, then perhaps you are over that line for you. Still, number one: Exercise is good. The endurance athlete who gets this stuff is often over-cooked or over-done.”

MattTuck
07-13-2017, 03:43 PM

5 fold? or 5 times?

Pet peeve, of mine. but a 5 fold increase in ANYTHING is pretty amazing. Let's say, you start off with 1%, 2% is first fold, 4% is second fold, 8% is third fold, 16% is fourth fold and 32% is the fifth fold. That goes from basically 1 in 100, to 1 in 3.

As opposed, to 5 times... 1% goes to 5%.

Frankwurst
07-13-2017, 06:44 PM
Wait till you hit 60, while the mind and body still don't align completely, the overdraft isn't quite so bad. The mind begins to catch on.

This is a fact. :beer: