PDA

View Full Version : Older Serotta Ti

bigman
08-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Anyone out there have any insight on pre Legend Ti - I have a lead on a 64 CTC Serotta Ti with F1 fork and C Record 8 Spd. - I guess about 96 or 97. I am familiar with and impressed with the ride characteristics of an F1 fork but know nothing about the frame - given the size I am concerned about "whippiness" - any insights much appreciated. Unfortunately I am unable to ride before I pull the trigger. Unable to get more information out of the serial number from the manufacturer.

Thanks

Hardlyrob
08-31-2006, 04:04 PM
I'm not positive, but I think the Ti in '96 was essentially the CSI made out of Ti. I got my CSI in 96, and that's how the Ti was positioned - a step up in materials, but basically the same design.

I doubt a Ti would be very whippy - certainly stiff though.

chrisroph
08-31-2006, 04:13 PM
I have a pre-legend ti and its great. It's substantially built, has nice tapered main tubes, has good beefy seatstays and it rides very solid. Mine is a 57. It has a 1" steerer and it does not have the newer oversize chainstays. Nevertheless, its a real nice bike well worth what I paid for it although I'd prefer a newer legend.

landshark_98
08-31-2006, 06:05 PM
I have a 93-93 and when I gave the serial number to Serotta for info on frame I was told it was for all essential purposes the same as the legend. They sent me new legend decals to put on it.

It's a 60 and no worries for me; no shimmy or whipiness at 6 3" & 210-225 (year/time of year dependent). It's also for sale ...

Ken Lehner
09-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Anyone out there have any insight on pre Legend Ti - I have a lead on a 64 CTC Serotta Ti with F1 fork and C Record 8 Spd. - I guess about 96 or 97. I am familiar with and impressed with the ride characteristics of an F1 fork but know nothing about the frame - given the size I am concerned about "whippiness" - any insights much appreciated. Unfortunately I am unable to ride before I pull the trigger. Unable to get more information out of the serial number from the manufacturer.

Thanks
If my 95/96 59cm Ti is any indication, Serotta put their big (mountain bike?) down tubes on the larger frames. Very stiff.

(interesting about the Ti vs. Legend. I always thought I had a Legend, having never heard of the Ti. My bike had "Ti" on the top tube. Two years ago I sent it back to the factory for a warranty repair, and they repainted it. It now says "Legend Ti" on the top tube.)

dave thompson
09-01-2006, 09:56 AM
If my 95/96 59cm Ti is any indication, Serotta put their big (mountain bike?) down tubes on the larger frames. Very stiff.

(interesting about the Ti vs. Legend. I always thought I had a Legend, having never heard of the Ti. My bike had "Ti" on the top tube. Two years ago I sent it back to the factory for a warranty repair, and they repainted it. It now says "Legend Ti" on the top tube.)
IIRC, at one time Serotta had a steel bike called the Legend which I believe was their top-end model. About the same time, maybe slightly later they brought out the 'Ti' model.

bigman
09-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Can't really express how much I like this bike - showed up on Friday. Was boxed by REI in Atlanta- the best most thorough breakdown , wrapping and boxing I have ever seen. Cranks, r der. pulled everythinh zip tied in place even the downtube adjusters.
Waxed it, assembled adjusted everything lubed all bolts. BB smooth as silk - some new tires and bartape and the bike looks as new. Almost no wear on the components.
I am lucky that I have a number of high end bikes: Pegoretti GGM, Ottrott ST, Van Dessel Kermis, older steel Serotta, had an Hors, 04 Canondale R3000, MX Leader etc. Did not think a bike could really impress or wow me.

It is very nice to be totally wrong.

Will post pics soon.

Thanks to all for your comments.

DavidR
09-11-2006, 08:22 AM
I am glad you are enjoying your new purchase, I have an older "legend" Ti and love it more every time I get on it. Does anyone know what years these bikes had just the Ti logo and when they went to the Legend Ti logo? I hope this isn't a dumb question.