PDA

View Full Version : Swapping carbon forks, remove crown race or no?

sfhbike
07-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Replacing an EDGE/ENVE fork with a new Moots one. Should I have the shop remove the CK crown race from the EDGE/ENVE fork to put on my new fork, or just buy a new crown race? (I'm not tooled to do this job myself.)

I'm sure crown races have been removed plenty of times without issue. I want to sell the EDGE fork so don't want it to be damaged in the process. Plenty of reputable shops around me, though I do most jobs on my bikes myself.

eBAUMANN
07-11-2017, 04:40 PM
use the proper tool if you do it yourself.
or a tool that you made that ISNT a screwdriver.
pretty easy to make a mess of a fork trying to wack off a race.

call your shop and see how much they charge to remove/install a race, if its less than a new race+install, go that route.

sfhbike
07-11-2017, 04:55 PM
use the proper tool if you do it yourself.
or a tool that you made that ISNT a screwdriver.
pretty easy to make a mess of a fork trying to wack off a race.

call your shop and see how much they charge to remove/install a race, if its less than a new race+install, go that route.

Good advice. Thanks.

jds108
07-11-2017, 05:05 PM
The best tool will compress/pull on the race from both sides at the same time. One can't really do that with just a screwdriver or the like.

If you or the shop have the right tool, then there isn't anything to worry about in doing the removal. (at least in my experience... I'm sure something has gone wrong for somebody at some point despite doing the removal the right way)

R3awak3n
07-11-2017, 05:13 PM
I took it to the shop, they moved it from one fork to the other for like $20. I was going to get the proper tool but its kind of expensive and I don't think I will be doing this job all that much

sfhbike
07-11-2017, 05:22 PM
I took it to the shop, they moved it from one fork to the other for like $20. I was going to get the proper tool but its kind of expensive and I don't think I will be doing this job all that much

Did they do anything else for you? Cut steerer, etc.? Or was that just for moving the crown race over? I'm debating how much of the job to take on myself vs. just having a shop swap the crown race. The "elite" shop near me wants $40-60 to do the complete swap, including cutting the steerer.

R3awak3n
07-11-2017, 05:27 PM
just that, I cut the steerer at home. Next time I will let them cut the steerer too. I almost f..ed it up.

pdmtong
07-11-2017, 05:27 PM
there is always a chance the shop, with the correct tool, could still muck up the fork. I had a painted Ouzo pro that left the shop with a small chip. it can happen.

if mine, what I would do depends on what I plan to do with the fork.

if you keep it, I would just keep leave it on and buy a new race.

if you sell it, you could always just add $20 to the price to cover your replacement race and let the buyer deal with it. while king is certainly not the only headset around, who wouldnt want a king on their enve? or have the buyer send you the race off his king...try to keep this clean and not transaction messy though

I see you want to sell it - so I would do the latter - leave it on.

sfhbike
07-11-2017, 05:33 PM
if you sell it, you could always just add $20 to the price to cover your replacement race and let the buyer deal with it. while king is certainly not the only headset around, who wouldnt want a king on their enve? or have the buyer send you the race off his king....

I see you want to sell it - so I would do the latter - leave it on.

Those were my thoughts. Less to go wrong in that scenario. Maybe I'll just have them cut it also.

Blown Reek
07-11-2017, 05:42 PM
A Chris King crown race is $20.

pdmtong
07-11-2017, 06:09 PM
A Chris King crown race is $20.
this is true...which is why looking back I should have just left it on and bought a new one. at the time I got the fork painted, IF was not readily taking forks back for paint, so this was done as a favor and not as std procedure. I also got the crown stencil painted on the outside of one leg and the inside of the other - sweet. but, I wanted to save the king and when the shop pulled the race, now theres a chip in that hard to get paint.

oddly, a different local shop sort of nicked the paint on my RSL fork when they put a race on. not sure how that happens. its barely noticeable and you would have to be looking for it to see it BUT thats not the point...

these shops are the high end shops here so not sure what was up...just saying $ h it can happen so to minimize risk - leave it on.

cmg
07-11-2017, 10:23 PM
chris king race will need to be sized, inside dimension of race needs to match outside dimension of fork. all are not the same. if you get it wrong you can cut it and make it a split ring and it will still work. there's a reason i know.

sfhbike
07-11-2017, 10:30 PM
chris king race will need to be sized, inside dimension of race needs to match outside dimension of fork. all are not the same. if you get it wrong you can cut it and make it a split ring and it will still work. there's a reason i know.

I don't see anywhere where you can select crown race sizes besides the standard sizes for headsets. I've heard of this issue with crown races and forks but don't really understand how manufacturers can accommodate it.

cmg
07-11-2017, 10:42 PM
I don't see anywhere where you can select crown race sizes besides the standard sizes for headsets. I've heard of this issue with crown races and forks but don't really understand how manufacturers can accommodate it.

https://chrisking.com/files/public/content/media/document/a/4/nothreadset.pdf

when your reading the install instructions it gives the head tube bore dimension of 33.9mm for a 1 1/8" steerer tube with "The
proper base plate press fit should be with no more than .1 mm (.004”) of
interference. Make sure your steerer is within those limits or you'll have to cut it to get it to fit. read install instructions for your fork. if it's not within those limits contact chris king for options.

Dead Man
07-11-2017, 10:46 PM
I'd just buy another base and sell the fork with the ck base on it. Most-ish? people buying that fork are gonna be using CK anyway.

That said, I did make a base/crown race remover that works pretty good ... I just chopped a piece of 1" PVC pipe off at a 45 degree angle, slit it up the long end and flattened it out with a plumbing torch (any heat gun/careful application of torch will work)... this created, once cooled, a two-pronged device with angled edges that will contact the crown race on opposing sides at the same time.... careful hammering nudges the crown off. Don't miss, tho.