PDA

View Full Version : Freak Accident Today - Pedal Came Off

jlwdm
07-11-2017, 04:33 PM
I was out riding this morning and while I was out of the saddle my right pedal snapped with the platform stuck in my shoe cleat and close to 2 1/2" of spindle and metal sticking out of the crank arm. The end of the metal was jagged and sharp. The metal end scraped across my lower inside left leg a few inches above my sock. When I looked down I saw blood spurting out of the side of my leg. I dismounted on the side of the road and had a hard time stopping the blood with my finger. There were pools of blood on the road where I was sitting and my right sock was just nothing but blood. Looking back down the road there was a trail of blood. One good samaritan who was a hunter said it looks like when you shoot a deer and he keeps going leaving a trail of blood.

There was a utility worker near by who had some gauze and tape so I was able to stop the bleeding. My the time my work partner came and took me to the ER it was over 30 minutes. I am all stitched up and should be back on the road in a couple of days although the doctor would prefer I stay off a little longer.

So no problem at this point. New pedals on the way.

Jeff

Edit: the pedal screwed off but it did not break

gasman
07-11-2017, 04:39 PM
Ouch ! Give those stitches some time to heal up some,say 5 days to make sure the skin edges are starting to heal.

I'm sure it could happen with any pedal but would care to name them ? I've had a pedal snap off at the crank once but it was a $10 no name brand on a beater bike and I wasn't surprised.

Drmojo
07-11-2017, 04:44 PM
I snapped a pedal spindle once, but not with
the price you paid. Worse- on tandem off road
a bee stung me and I had a hard time unclipping
and pedal smashed my calf
Sore for 2 months
Misadventure stories for the grandkids.
Lately it is : Daddy how did you get those
scars?
Glad you got help quickly

ftf
07-11-2017, 04:46 PM
I had a look Keo snap on me. I don't ride looks anymore....

jlwdm
07-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Look Keo Carbon. I have had them a long time.

Jeff

seanile
07-11-2017, 05:13 PM
yikes. that's scary.
i was commuting to work last week when i guy pulled onto the street in front of me and mid-turn his crank arm snapped in half. his wheel cocked to the side from the momentum shift and he did a front flip onto his back (no physical damage luckily). the cranks were omniums, the really high quality track cranks..but they too were old he said.
seems to be a bit of a anecdotal warning for the rest of us to retire parts that see a lot of stress, before they retire you.

djg21
07-11-2017, 05:19 PM

Jeff

Titanium spindle?

jlwdm
07-11-2017, 05:19 PM
Titanium spindle?

Yes.

Jeff

ftf
07-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Titanium spindle?

Not for me.

djg21
07-11-2017, 05:29 PM
Yes.

Jeff

Thats why Ti spindles are dumb. The weight savings is marginal and not worth the extra expense; they are more apt to fail; and failure can be catastrophic. The fact that all pedals with Ti spindles have weight limits should tell you something.

Likes2ridefar
07-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Agree on waiting..I had stitches once and ignored that advice and when they took them out it was not healed and immediately opened up so they had to make a bigger incision and used larger stitches that hurt like hell and mandated a week off my feet.

Louis
07-11-2017, 05:55 PM

Jeff

Jeff,

If you don't mind sharing some personal information, how much do you weigh? I don't know if those pedals have a weight limit or not (I don't think they do) but I'm wondering.

Also, if you have a camera that can take nice detailed close-ups it would be interesting to see both sides of the failure surfaces. If you can do that and are so inclined, please do post the images.

Louis

oldpotatoe
07-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Titanium spindle?

Glad you are ok. When I went to interbike a long time ago, pre Look Keo or titanium spindles, I asked a guy at Look why no Ti spindles on Look pedals, he said only 2 types of Ti spindles, those that have broke and those that will. This shortly after Campagnolo intro-ed Record Pro-Fit with Ti spindles.

kppolich
07-11-2017, 07:16 PM
Also saw a pedal body break away from a spindle racing this weekend. Mile 2 of a 52 mile road race. Stay safe!

weisan
07-11-2017, 07:28 PM
No picture?

You made this up, it didn't happen.

carpediemracing
07-11-2017, 07:37 PM
The image of Laurent Fignon on the ground, a stunned look on his face, comes to mind. He was leading some classic (Liege? Blois Chaville?) by minutes and his titanium Super Record BB split, dumping him to the road. He quit the race.

I broke a Ti BB on a big group ride (Gimbles). Young and stupid, bought the Ti BB even though I had that image of Fignon seared into my brain. I figured newer Ti BB ought to be better (Sampson Ti). We'd just turned off the gas because, ironically, an ambulance with lights and sirens was approaching from behind. I was at the front (so it must have been flat) and we all moved to the right and let the ambulance through. I got back on the gas, literally a couple pedal strokes in and somehow my shoe ended up on the road. I thought I'd unclipped. I tried to clip in but mysteriously my cranks seemed to follow my foot around. Then the rider behind me screamed, "Your cranks are broken!"

Look down, chainring was bouncing along the pavement. Realized that I'd had a catastrophic failure. For the past 10-15 minutes we'd been going full gas (after climbing the first set of step hills, so lots of full on stuff there), we eased for the ambulance, and bam, my BB broke. I was super fortunate it didn't break before.

My ex- was on the ride and actually rode back to her car, drove 20 miles or so to pick me up, and drove me back to her car, so that was nice. Don't burn bridges unless it's necessary.

Bwana
07-11-2017, 08:03 PM
Ttiwwop!

jlwdm
07-11-2017, 08:34 PM
Jeff,

If you don't mind sharing some personal information, how much do you weigh? I don't know if those pedals have a weight limit or not (I don't think they do) but I'm wondering.

Also, if you have a camera that can take nice detailed close-ups it would be interesting to see both sides of the failure surfaces. If you can do that and are so inclined, please do post the images.

Louis

Louis,

No weight limit on the pedals. I am 6" 2" 190 lbs, but a spinner and not hard on equipment.

First for you Louis, a fellow Alfa owner, is a shot of the corner of the Alfa and my bike.

The pedal broke off well inside the pedal itself so I cannot show it. Looking inside the pedal I can see the jagged edge of the metal.

Two shots of the spindle and you cannot see much but it is a jagged metal edge - sharp.

Jeff

Louis
07-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Very nice! (and a neat garage - mine is way too messy to post here)

What you're looking for is something that might look like this:

(do a Google image search on "metal fatigue failure surface" - that's how I found this one)

Fatigue cracks often have well-defined growth patterns that someone who knows what s/he's looking for can see. (I'm no expert in the matter, but have worked with people who are.)

Edit: I should also say, 190 lbs should be no problem at all, especially for a pedal with no weight limit. I just wanted to confirm that you weren't around, say, 245 lbs, or something like that. In that range we're talking the upper limit of what much bike hardware can be expected to take over a long period of time.

http://met-tech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/fractured-input-shaft-6.jpg

maverick_1
07-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Sorry to hear about the mishap..btw is it possible to post better pics?
Those are out of focus...

I have Ti spindles (original) on all Look Keo pedals...bummer

Cheers

gasman
07-11-2017, 09:14 PM
I'm glad you weren't hurt worse.
I have the same pedals on my good bike. I think I might need to retire them.

jlwdm
07-11-2017, 09:24 PM
A little better photos.

Jeff

dustyrider
07-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Doesn't look like the spindle is broken just the body of the pedal that holds onto the spindle.

bikinchris
07-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Tour riders don't have to worry about longevity of components, weight limits etc. Hell they don't ever pay for broken parts.

YOU DO.

Buy something that makes sense. Your average joe can lose 10 pounds easily. Don't weight weenie the bike. I can see buying lightweight parts for your 99 pound girlfriend, but that's just playing dolls. Buy parts that work and last and don't let the bike industry dictate what you buy.

John H.
07-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Spindle appears to be intact.

Either the pedal body or the retaining collar failed.

I have seen the collars back out-
I have also seen the pedal body break or the collar strip due to over tightening.

When I used Look pedals, I used to use blue loctite on the collars- and I was careful to not over tighten.

roguedog
07-11-2017, 10:21 PM
OUCH!

Oh and niiccee garage.

mcteague
07-12-2017, 06:38 AM
I had a Time Xpresso 8 break at the spindle but I managed to stay upright. I was just starting to go up a steep hill so my speed was low. These did not have a Ti spindle. After two pairs of RXS pedals with broken bodies I threw in the towel and put the only bit of Shimano on my bike...Ultegra PD-6800 pedals. They work fine and have a great reputation for reliability. I Just hope all my Campagnolo parts can forgive me!

Tim

Mark McM
07-12-2017, 09:20 AM
Spindle appears to be intact.

Either the pedal body or the retaining collar failed.

I have seen the collars back out-
I have also seen the pedal body break or the collar strip due to over tightening.

When I used Look pedals, I used to use blue loctite on the collars- and I was careful to not over tighten.

The photos are a bit fuzzy, but I can't see any part failure at all. It looks like the spindle retaining collar simply unscrewed from the pedal body (allowing the body to depart from the spindle).

jlwdm
07-12-2017, 10:26 AM
The photos are a bit fuzzy, but I can't see any part failure at all. It looks like the spindle retaining collar simply unscrewed from the pedal body (allowing the body to depart from the spindle).

Okay, I am more lucid today. The spindle retaining collar is unscrewed, but it will not screw back on. The metal piece still on the bike is jagged and the metal piece deep inside the pedal is jagged. It does not seem they would be like this - looks broken.

Too much work to do today so I will look at the other pedal tonight to see what it is supposed to look like.

Jeff

krw6184
07-12-2017, 12:38 PM
Louis,

No weight limit on the pedals. I am 6" 2" 190 lbs, but a spinner and not hard on equipment.

First for you Louis, a fellow Alfa owner, is a shot of the corner of the Alfa and my bike.

The pedal broke off well inside the pedal itself so I cannot show it. Looking inside the pedal I can see the jagged edge of the metal.

Two shots of the spindle and you cannot see much but it is a jagged metal edge - sharp.

Jeff

Hi Jeff - I am new to the PLF and read your post. I would like to offer that based on your photos, even though you are not hard on your equipment, the pedals have had a hard life. The pedals are an older model and all parts have a useable life. Because the pedal body pulled off of the axle, it would be worth a call to Hawley USA, which is the distributor for LOOK in the US and tell them what happened. Most likely they will direct you to a LBS, but at least you can start the conversation. You can also inquire about any crash replacement programs which offer replacement for new pedals at a discounted price.

They may want better photos of your pedal, specifically the threaded area of the collet and the female threads on the pedal body. This is the ONLY piece holding the pedal body to the axle. Over time, given the stress, it is inevitable that this area will give out. On newer models of LOOK pedals, there is a retaining bolt on the outside of the axle as well as the collet nut on the inside. This makes it nearly impossible for the body to disengage from the axle.

Hope this helps.

regularguy412
07-12-2017, 06:20 PM
I'll take this opportunity to, again, bash Ritchey equipment.

Bought BRAND NEW Ritchey Pro Peloton Pedals some years ago. Screwed them in, clipped in and took one-half pedal stroke and coasted down the driveway and up to the end of my road to the Stop sign. There was no traffic either way for as far as the eye could see. Coasting at about 8 mph, I stood up to take the first full pedal stroke with my right foot to accelerate into the intersection and ZAP! the whole right pedal body came OFF the spindle. It did not break, it just came straight off. I came down hard on the top tube and the big ring gouged my lower right leg. The worst part was the ever shrinking circles I was doing in the middle of the highway with one foot on the pavement with the pedal body scraping along. I was very lucky that there was NO traffic and that I did not crash fully down on the road. I walked the bike back up the 1/10 mile to my house, took the pedals off and sent them straight back for a full refund.

I've posted the pix of this before so I'm not sure the Forum will let me put them in again.

This incident is the main reason I do not use Ritchey products: Poor quality control.

Mike in AR:beer:

Informational: I turned around and bought some Campy Record clipless pedals and used them for several years. They still work fine, but I didn't like the small platform.

fignon's barber
07-12-2017, 07:09 PM
...... Because the pedal body pulled off of the axle, it would be worth a call to Hawley USA, which is the distributor for LOOK in the US and tell them what happened. Most likely they will direct you to a LBS, but at least you can start the conversation. You can also inquire about any crash replacement programs which offer replacement for new pedals at a discounted price.

Don't even waist the electricity tapping out an email to Hawley. Absolute waist of time. When I broke a FOURTH (yes, 4th) Look Blade pedal body last fall, I sent Hawley a professional note highlighting that I had been a Look user (165 lb rider) since 1989,proof that it was the fourth breakage, and included the original receipt. To my amazement, they declined to warranty the pedal because the 2 year warranty starts when the ORIGINAL pedals were purchased, which expired 4 weeks prior. Apparently, the replacement of a defective product doesn't reset the warranty period. That's 4 pedals over 24 months. Crap product, worse service.

seanile
07-12-2017, 07:56 PM
...the 2 year warranty starts when the ORIGINAL pedals were purchased, which expired 4 weeks prior. Apparently, the replacement of a defective product doesn't reset the warranty period. ...that is asinine to say the least. this thread has given many good reasons to stay away from them. good luck everyone

jlwdm
07-12-2017, 08:35 PM
First of all I will say that I have gotten a lot of use out of these pedals and they should have been retired a while ago. They are really worn all over and the fact that they were still working is not a good enough reason to keep using them. I don't see anything Look should be taking care of. Sooner or later something bad is going to happen and there is no reason to push it on a component like a pedal that could cause serious harm if it failed.

My new pedals will arrive tomorrow and both old pedals are in the garbage. I think the problem was the pedal unscrewed, but there is something not quite right inside the right pedal. It is not the same as the left one, although maybe some change is because of the accident.

I feel good today and now just need to take it easy and let my leg heel. Probably will start back on the trainer too so I don't bang my leg into anything.

Jeff

Corso
07-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Pedals, schedules…how do you like the GIULIA?

soulspinner
07-13-2017, 05:41 AM
Thats why Ti spindles are dumb. The weight savings is marginal and not worth the extra expense; they are more apt to fail; and failure can be catastrophic. The fact that all pedals with Ti spindles have weight limits should tell you something.

+1 That ounce and change isn't worth the ER visit.

jlwdm
07-13-2017, 06:32 AM
Pedals, schedules…how do you like the GIULIA?

I have not put a lot of miles on it yet but I love it. It is just so much fun to drive. The acceleration from 60 mph is amazing which makes me worried about tickets.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
07-13-2017, 05:48 PM
First of all I will say that I have gotten a lot of use out of these pedals and they should have been retired a while ago. They are really worn all over and the fact that they were still working is not a good enough reason to keep using them. I don't see anything Look should be taking care of. Sooner or later something bad is going to happen and there is no reason to push it on a component like a pedal that could cause serious harm if it failed.

My new pedals will arrive tomorrow and both old pedals are in the garbage. I think the problem was the pedal unscrewed, but there is something not quite right inside the right pedal. It is not the same as the left one, although maybe some change is because of the accident.

I feel good today and now just need to take it easy and let my leg heel. Probably will start back on the trainer too so I don't bang my leg into anything.

Jeff

Which new pedals? If Look again, you are braver than me. If ya like the platform, get shimano, imho.

jlwdm
07-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Which new pedals? If Look again, you are braver than me. If ya like the platform, get shimano, imho.

Look. It wasn't the pedals fault. I have Look on all three bikes, and I am not putting Shimano pedals on my Campy bikes.

Jeff

krw6184
07-13-2017, 08:26 PM
Look. It wasn't the pedals fault. I have Look on all three bikes, and I am not putting Shimano pedals on my Campy bikes.

Jeff

Wish more people had sensible views like you! The pedals appeared to have served you well and it is good to recognize when things need to be retired. I feel the same. My bike is built up with Super Record EPS and putting Shimano pedals wouldn't seem quite right...stay safe.

rzthomas
07-13-2017, 08:45 PM
Not using the best pedals on the market owing to vanity seems like a bad idea. /s

jlwdm
07-13-2017, 10:11 PM
Not using the best pedals on the market owing to vanity seems like a bad idea. /s

I have been using Look pedals on all my bikes for many, many years with no problems. The Shimano reference was a joke, but I have no reason to believe the Shimano pedals are better. I use the same saddle and pedals on my three bikes and they have been great. No reason to change.

It is not a vanity issue.

Jeff

zap
07-14-2017, 06:11 AM
Edit

The Shimano reference was a joke, but I have no reason to believe the Shimano pedals are better.
Jeff

Long time Look pedal user. Switched to Shimano DA pedals.

Trust me, Shimano DA (only DA) pedals are superior.........and my Campy Record equipped bikes (both currently sidelined due to busted fork and cracked SiSl2 crank) appreciate great bearings.

Black Dog
07-14-2017, 07:15 AM
Edit

Long time Look pedal user. Switched to Shimano DA pedals.

Trust me, Shimano DA (only DA) pedals are superior.........and my Campy Record equipped bikes (both currently sidelined due to busted fork and cracked SiSl2 crank) appreciate great bearings.

Me too. After 30 years on LOOK pedals I go tired of all issues and switched over to Shimano. Good is good and they look fine on all my campy bikes. Simply a better product.

oldpotatoe
07-14-2017, 07:44 AM

Jeff

10-4, I get it...

https://www.raceviewcycles.com/Campagnolo-Record-Pro-Fit-Pedals-PR?language=en&currency=USD

fignon's barber
07-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Wish more people had sensible views like you! The pedals appeared to have served you well and it is good to recognize when things need to be retired. I feel the same. My bike is built up with Super Record EPS and putting Shimano pedals wouldn't seem quite right...stay safe.

I don't know why Shimano hasn't introduced a secondary label for their pedals, much like Campagnolo has Fulcrum for their wheels. I would think it would bring an instant jump in market share. I'm sure their are a lot of folks who don't "mix groups".

merckx
07-14-2017, 08:14 AM
I don't know why Shimano hasn't introduced a secondary label for their pedals, much like Campagnolo has Fulcrum for their wheels. I would think it would bring an instant jump in market share. I'm sure their are a lot of folks who don't "mix groups".

Brilliant idea, this.

I am a long duration Look pedal user though I have deviated at times to scratch an itch. I mucked through the Keo and Blade era with trepidation. I never found them as stable or durable at the Delta era. I've since moved back to Deltas, specifically the PP396. It was like coming home for Christmas. The improvement in stability was quite noticeable, and the ease of engagement and bearing quality is also welcomed. I am nonplussed by the additional weight.

ntb1001
07-14-2017, 08:38 AM
I don't know why Shimano hasn't introduced a secondary label for their pedals, much like Campagnolo has Fulcrum for their wheels. I would think it would bring an instant jump in market share. I'm sure their are a lot of folks who don't "mix groups".my son has used a Shimano SPD mountain bike pedal since he was 8 years old...to make it look acceptable on his Super Record 11 equipped bike...he uses a black Sharpie to black out the Shi...o

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

mcteague
07-14-2017, 09:04 AM

Jeff

I wanted to stay with Euro brands for my Campy bikes but had too many failures with Time pedals. Look seemed like an option but read lots about squeaks and liked the Shimano take on the design better. The logic side of my brain won out and I got Ultegra carbons. They just plain work and the cleats don't wear as much as the Look style. In the end, I care more about function than I do about brand loyalty.

Tim

rzthomas
07-14-2017, 02:05 PM

With Campy's tiny share of the market, the sales written off by people who won't put Shimano pedals on a campy-equipped bike are probably several magnitudes lower than the cost of making and marketing a new line.

Anyway, I get brand loyalty and how brands=personal identity, but there is a pragmatic limit to that.

pdmtong
07-14-2017, 06:42 PM
I have no hesitation using DA-7810 or DA-7900/9000 on my C10, R10 and C11 bikes. IMHO the cleat has better "walkability" than Look and lasts a really long time (assuming you do not go hiking). Love campy but that doesnt prevent me from using shimano pedals.

bheight1
07-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Snapped a Look Keo, pre Max, pedal at the axle that was over 10 years old. Components don't last forever and I realize I should've and will in the future change my gear. If you ride year round in salty conditions without checking your equipment for wear tear **** happens. Still use Look pedal system.