PDA

View Full Version : Tufo Tape help

Mud
08-31-2006, 12:28 PM
I knew the day would come when I would have to remove the tires. Last night I noticed my wife's rear tire had a new color-brown- on an all black tire (215 gram Tufo tubular). So it is time to replace the tires.

I removed both tires and reminded myself that next time I should use gloves. My thumbs are raw, but I got them off. (Extreme Tape)

On both wheels (Zip carbons built by Ergott - shameless plug)) there seems to be a transparent layer. On one wheeel it is almost like a Scotch Tape but there is no way I could peel it off. I might use a solvent if it has to come off. On the other wheel, no tape but a transparent layer.

A little Tufo wisdom on how to proceed would be most appreciated.

Too Tall
08-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Leave that in place...it is fine to tape (gag) over it or use glue. I have direct experience with this.

PS - in the future use a dulled small screwdriver to work up one section of the tyre...push the screwdriver thru so you have essentially two handles to grab...than roll, rock and pull the tire off while bracing the wheel against your chest...no thumbs will be harmed ;)

Mud
08-31-2006, 12:41 PM
Now I remember the tip when we last communicated. I have not stretched the new tires yet so I have to go and change out the pads for her other wheels (Campy/Sun/Conti tubies). Thanx

coylifut
08-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Leave that in place...it is fine to tape (gag) over it or use glue. I have direct experience with this.

PS - in the future use a dulled small screwdriver to work up one section of the tyre...push the screwdriver thru so you have essentially two handles to grab...than roll, rock and pull the tire off while bracing the wheel against your chest...no thumbs will be harmed ;)

what about carbon rims, can you damage them using a tool like that?

pretty pony
08-31-2006, 01:27 PM
.....don't use a screwdriver on your wheels to remove a tire. Plastic tire levers can be used to "wedge" off a tire. Start opposite the valve stem and pry up the tire until you can grab it and pull. This should be hard to do. If it is not hard, the tire wasn't put on correctly in the first place.

That thin, sticky stuff left on the rim is ok to tape over, I agree.

Question:
Any pro race mechanics using tape out there? I tape 2-6 wheels a week, with no problems to date....just wanted a second opinion.

Thanks

Too Tall
08-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Actually the clear adhesive left behind adheres really well to carbon...another bonus.

Just don't be hamhanded with the screwdriver. It is the right tool. I grind it dull on a stone wheel. Aim for the rim / glue interface and be gentle..work slow. I've never come close to hurting any carbon rim. Plastic tools are a nice thought but you can not get both a stiff and thin edge to work with...I'm very sad about that too. However, spam if twice baked than filed sharp is damn good. Try it.