PDA

View Full Version : who uses valve extenders?

fogrider
07-10-2017, 10:26 PM
so with deep section rims and tubulars, I have to use valve extenders. I have the following types:

a. http://problemsolversbike.com/products/tires-tubes/standard_presta_valve_extenders_-_6541

b. http://problemsolversbike.com/products/tires-tubes/presta_valve_extender_for_removable_cores_-_24236

I like 'a' because they are lightweight and easy to transfer. but the other day, I got a flat and transferred the extender. but the extender didn't hold and I couldn't get air into the tube. there are only a few threads at the end of the core that engages the extender.

it works until it doesn't. I've been using these extenders for years and when I think the number of times I yank the pump hose off, it was going to fail at some point. Switching over to 'b' only!

stien
07-11-2017, 04:30 AM
I use pretty much exclusively the kind that screw onto a tube without removing the core. I use teflon tape at the interface and have had no issues at all. My seat pack spares are "pre-extendered".

Bentley
07-11-2017, 05:46 AM
I used to use them, the best ones are crap. I just buy tubes with long valves, they may weigh a bit more but one less piece of gear to worry about.

Ray

superbowlpats
07-11-2017, 06:05 AM
I use the type b ones that you list on my TT bike's Zipp 808s. removable core tubulars are the way to go, never had a problem. I've used the Vittoria and Zipp extenders.

ntb1001
07-11-2017, 06:08 AM
I used the continental ones for years. The ones that you remove the valve cores and install them in the extenders. I install them in the spares in advance as well. I've never had a problem with them.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
07-11-2017, 06:18 AM
i use the vittoria ones, and similar. never had a problem. a little teflon tape on the threads and good to go.

i should mention that i dont use wheels that require extenders as my "everyday" wheels, they just come out once in a while, so i cant speak to daily/frequent use....

https://content.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/1200/VIT/VIT0069/ONECOL.jpg

djdj
07-11-2017, 06:25 AM
Removable valve core is the way to go.. Pre-install on your spare tubular or spare tube. If you want to be cautious, bring one of those little wrenches that AngryScientist shows in case the extender or core come loose.

kppolich
07-11-2017, 06:31 AM
Another vote for the removable core extenders. I have both HED versions and the removable core ones are hands down better.

shovelhd
07-11-2017, 06:35 AM
I use b) on the tubes in my wheels, and a) on my spares in the bag. That way I can loan an extender to someone else whether they have RVC tubes or not.

summilux
07-11-2017, 06:38 AM
I use the metal Conti ones where the core needs to be removed. No problems ever.

regularguy412
07-11-2017, 07:21 AM
I use the metal Conti ones where the core needs to be removed. No problems ever.

^^ This.

And a plastic temporary extender in my bag for the spare.

Mike in AR:beer:

bikser
07-11-2017, 08:24 AM
I just installed my first pair of extenders last night. I'm using the Continental with the core. Seem fairly foolproof. I do notice the wheel needs a little balancing with all of that metal in one spot. Years ago I had used the non-core type, but I never liked keeping the valve open while riding.

sales guy
07-11-2017, 09:33 AM
I have used them, that exact one that's shown in the Problem Solvers link. As well as many others. I have used the Silca/Enve ones recently. The shim to stop the noise is great. But I switched back to long valve tubes. So much easier. Less chance of things coming lose, valves being bent, air leakage and valves getting stuck.

shovelhd
07-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Nobody makes latex tubes with valves long enough for 58mm rims, thus I use the Conti extenders with Vittoria RVC latex tubes.

redir
07-11-2017, 11:30 AM
N+1 on the removable core ones. I keep the little tool in my tubular pouch just in case but always keep one screwed on the spare. I do bring the type B ones along on the ride too, you never know when it might be needed but in general the removable ones are best.

martl
07-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Nobody makes latex tubes with valves long enough for 58mm rims, thus I use the Conti extenders with Vittoria RVC latex tubes.

Ditto, Veloflex doesn't make tubulars with long valves either. I use metal removable core extensions which are Tufo i believe. Works nicely, i need to pump before i ride (Latex inner tube) anyway. I also have an assortment of other extenders in my repair kit. The Mavic brass one is nice but rather fat and won't fit all rims. Those with that clever mechanism to undo the security nut never worked for me.

fogrider
07-11-2017, 11:06 PM
I use pretty much exclusively the kind that screw onto a tube without removing the core. I use teflon tape at the interface and have had no issues at all. My seat pack spares are "pre-extendered".

as I said, it works until it doesn't. part of the problem I had was the mini pump I carry requires a lot of strokes to fill the tire and all that jerking around just rattles the wheel and the valve around.

I still have two on a set of wheels that I can't get off unless I pull the tire tubulars off. I'm going carry an extender with the removable core around with me until the tire either wears out or I flat.

Dana Kilalps
07-12-2017, 08:17 PM
I've been using Tufo removable core extenders for years without problem. They are a quality item and can be had in various lengths.