PDA

View Full Version : How can I make this happen?

Nooch
07-10-2017, 02:16 PM
As I've mentioned in some other threads, I work nights at a restaurant. A large chunk of our kitchen and support staff are immigrants who don't drive, but rather ride to work, and I noticed the other day as they were leaving that no one has so much as a reflector, let alone a light.

There was a story last year sometime of a similar worker being hit from behind on her ride home.

These guys are co-workers and friends, and if I had the money, I'd buy em all lights. I don't, but that doesn't mean I still can't do something for them.

I used to work at a shop and have a good relationship there, and want to try and get lights at a small discount. I think for a good reason, this might not be an issue.

From there, I'm not sure how to point B. Again, if I had the money to buy 5-7 lights and give em to the guys, I probably wouldn't be working nights there, and just don't have it kicking around. I was considering asking my boss if it's something they'd consider funding, in the interest of safety, but I'm hesitant -- who am I to try and spend their money? Same thought crosses my head when I want to ask them for cash to buy them lights -- well, they haven't been hit now, and really, if they wanted one, or had the money for one, they'd probably have bought it themselves..

Does anyone have advice on how to help, or if I'm just spinning my wheels for no reason?

v531xc
07-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Doesn't hurt to ask your management if you feel they're reasonable people and especially if you're already doing to legwork to get a discount from your LBS.

Otherwise, check with a local bicycle advocacy group. They may have spare lights or programs that get safety materials into the hands of people who need them through outreach. I know Bike PGH would do events a couple times a year to get lights to people in the community and raise awareness for bicycle safety and safe riding. Bike PHL does something similar throughout the year. Membership donations go towards procuring these lights and staffing the events.

AngryScientist
07-10-2017, 02:21 PM
it's a noble crusade, i suppose.

You can begin by explaining to the riders that it is NJ law to have lights on the bike when they ride.

Bicycling in New Jersey is regulated under Title 39 of the Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation laws.

39:4-14.5 Definition.
“Bicycle” means any two wheeled vehicle having a rear drive which is solely human powered and having a seat height of 25 inches or greater when the seat is in the lowest adjustable position.

39:4-10 Lights on Bicycles.
When in use at nighttime every bicycle shall be equipped with: 1) A front headlamp emitting a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front; 2) A rear lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the rear; 3) In addition to the red lamp a red reflector may be mounted on the rear.

further, you can find an inexpensive light set on ebay or amazon for about 10 bucks, that should work reasonably well, and certainly better than nothing.

pdmtong
07-10-2017, 02:22 PM
many shops have a bag of reflectors that come with new bikes. you could ask if they have a pile of unused ones (trek, specialized,etc)

while lights would be best, that also means the rider has to have the discipline to recharge USB or buy batteries.

even a reflective pant strap would help

ColonelJLloyd
07-10-2017, 02:31 PM
I feel you on this one. I live on a bike route so see a whole lot of bike traffic. Besides the dedicated daily commuter no one has lights/blinkies. I girl stopped while I was working in the yard a couple weeks ago and asked if I knew which way her friends rode. I asked her if I gave her a blinking light for her bike would she put it on. She waited while I have her some Planet Bike blinkies I had. I wish I could do this for more people.

I also wish people knew what chain lube was. Oy.

I agree with others that reflectors or pieces of reflective tape are better than nothing.

ltwtsculler91
07-10-2017, 02:40 PM
I don't think getting reflectors would be an issue..

There may be some community group or charity locally that would help fund it? Maybe a group related to immigrants or cycling advocacy?

If you were in Newark I could probably help get it funded, but I'm sure there's some sort of organization like that near you..

makoti
07-10-2017, 03:19 PM
I may have one, maybe two I could donate to you. PM me.

brockd15
07-10-2017, 03:52 PM
I'm 99% sure I have two PB Superflashes on a rack that I bought a while back. I don't use them and would be happy to send them your way.

bicimechanic
07-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Shoot me a email at jason@servicecoursecycle.com and let me see what I can do. Thanks!

false_Aest
07-10-2017, 04:00 PM
Nooch.

How many front lights do you need?
How many rear lights do you need?
Where are you located?

Need seatpost reflectors?
Need front reflectors?

email me. I can probably arrange something.

bking
07-10-2017, 04:14 PM
I'd have some lights. let me know.

But yes, approach management. Good management should be all over this. Give them a chance.

Nooch
07-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the input, and the offers, all! I'll try and catch the owner's ear this weekend and see if he's up for it. I'm inclined to say somewhere between 5-8 sets, based on the bikes I've kept track of.

But let me check with the owner first, and I'll double back!! Thanks again, all!

(some not-so-small part of me has wanted to figure out how to do this, as a non-profit, to get lights into the hands of people who need them on a larger scale. I know nothing about that, but hey, if I can successfully get my co-workers safe, then maybe I can think bigger)

jds108
07-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Your least expensive source for something like this is most likely www.aliexpress.com I just saw that a rear blinker can be had for $1.99 with free shipping. (It's crazy that it's cheaper to buy one of these new from China than for me to ship a used one from my basement...)

zmudshark
07-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Some police departments will provide lights for bicyclists

jghall
07-11-2017, 12:00 PM
What make this place great!

I may have one, maybe two I could donate to you. PM me.

I'm 99% sure I have two PB Superflashes on a rack that I bought a while back. I don't use them and would be happy to send them your way.

Shoot me a email at jason@servicecoursecycle.com and let me see what I can do. Thanks!

email me. I can probably arrange something.

I'd have some lights. let me know.

AngryScientist
07-11-2017, 12:02 PM
i want to say that for riding at night on the road a construction hi-viz vest would be more effective than an inexpensive rear light, i bet anyway. that's an option too, if they are willing to wear them.

Mzilliox
07-11-2017, 12:15 PM
Ill donate a light or 2, just PM me the details. I have thought about taking a suitcase of helmets next time i go to Belize. guys ride everywhere and get hit by drunk drivers. sad

RoadWhale
07-11-2017, 12:34 PM
I keep extra packages of very low cost bike lights in my car. At night, whenever I see a rider without lights, I try to find a safe place to stop them and offer the lights. In my small town, most of the people I've helped are like Nooch's co workers, off work and just trying to get home. I do it as often as I can afford to.
I have 2-3 sets in my car now. Please let me know if you need them and I will be happy to send them your way Nooch.

Nooch
07-11-2017, 02:42 PM
You guys really are great.

bicycletricycle
07-11-2017, 02:56 PM
I think I have some spare rear blinky lights, PM me with address.